Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 710 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Seems like a very tough fight where Ukraine is making very slow progress.

We have entered the rainy season, meaning the prior offensive is impossible to repeat. Heavy forces are mainly restricted to roads until the ground freezes.
This helps defenders hold a line.

Reactions: Leeea

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
8WfMk5C.png

If Putin uses a nuke he'll have to fear his own people more as well as the international community. I expect it would mean unrestricted cyber warfare on them, just bring Russia to a complete halt in most respects. Sanctions get absolute. India and China turn their backs. Russian assets in Ukraine and the Black Sea are systematically wiped out with conventional precision weapons. Sabotage campaigns go into overdrive, Ukraine gets everything it wants short of it's own nukes. NATO takes over the Black Sea, places like Chechnya and Kazakhstan split from the Federation.

It'll be a messier way to a destination already locked in.

Any day now Russian patriots.

Last edited:
Reactions: cytg111 and Leeea

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Russian sources are full of stories of slaughtered Ukraine troops with endless tanks blown up.

Official Russian sources also claim to have destroyed the entire Ukrainian air force many times over.

Official Russian sources claim to have destroyed every HIMARS Ukraine has ever received, many times.

Russian sources are questionable.

Reactions: dank69 and RnR_au

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Dear Georgia, the People's Republic of Dagestan would like to be Liberated.
Care to assist?

I guess as well as increasing political disgruntlement within Russia proper, calling up reserves is presumably also going to have a bad effect on ethnic resentments within the Russian Federation?

I don't want to talk glibly of using nuclear weapons - just imagine being Biden and having to make that choice of killing millions (and potentially starting a process that will lead to the deaths of billions). But it feels as if any non-nuclear response to Putin using one would risk sending the message that he can get away with it. I still would prefer to believe he just isn't that crazy, that it's all an "I'm a nutter, I am, don't mess with me" bluff.

There always was a troubling contradiction at the heart of the idea of 'deterrence'. MAD was always slightly mad. Is it really 'rational' to kill millions in response to someone killing millions? Till now it never seemed like it was ever going to be tested.

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
I think you would probably categorize Ukraine capturing Belgorod as "slow and modest success".

No, there are pages of not directly relevant posts and I posted about what is happening today in an important fight.

Is there there something inaccurate that I posted? Is Ukraine not making progress? Have they already smashed through and are in the suburbs of Moscow?

Considering how entrenched the front lines are, I wonder if Ukraine generals are considering doing an end run around through Russian territory as that is not entrenched and blown to hell right now.

I swear, post anything that is not about Ukraine racing to Moscow and Putin dying of super STD and cancer and there will be a complaint.

So far Russia is losing and Ukraine seems to have broken the pattern of slow grinding advances by them behind artillery. The weather is rapidly turning poor for advances as fall rains arrive.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
Lyman will fall tomorrow posts go back a while. So far the Russians are dug in and robustly defending. Ukraine seems to have pivoted to an encircle strategy but only making halting progress.

Russian sources are full of stories of slaughtered Ukraine troops with endless tanks blown up. Ukrainian sources list the latest hamlet taken and how that means Lyman is doomed.

Seems like a very tough fight where Ukraine is making very slow progress.

Uptodate information suggests the Russians are bugging out as Lyman is surrounded and thus doomed for no supplies.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
No, there are pages of not directly relevant posts and I posted about what is happening today in an important fight.

Is there there something inaccurate that I posted? Is Ukraine not making progress? Have they already smashed through and are in the suburbs of Moscow?

Considering how entrenched the front lines are, I wonder if Ukraine generals are considering doing an end run around through Russian territory as that is not entrenched and blown to hell right now.

I swear, post anything that is not about Ukraine racing to Moscow and Putin dying of super STD and cancer and there will be a complaint.

So far Russia is losing and Ukraine seems to have broken the pattern of slow grinding advances by them behind artillery. The weather is rapidly turning poor for advances as fall rains arrive.

Just a few pages ago your very first comment to Ukraine's stunning offensive success was that 'it was bad for them.'

Can you link us a single instance, in this or any thread, of another poster here demanding you comment on Putin's health or eventual retirement? You've been dragged here for not supporting your newsflashes with links, and you've been laughed at for downplaying Ukrainian success while often trying to give the Russians some kind or credit or see them in a better light.

Yet you're still here, still acting like a victim, just like before.

Either grow up or fuck off Mike. Might be time to go find that pro Russia forum you'd probably be happy in. This ain't it.

Last edited:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

Due to Ukrainian operational silence, or at least delay, it's somewhat difficult to gauge the extent and speed of Ukrainian advance east of the Oskil. Russian mil bloggers say they are making progress and they're not likely to lie about that. The advance seems more steady and deliberate. I would not characterize it as "very slow". "very slow" is shelling a few houses outside of Bahkmut for a month and moving into the rubble.

It is reported Ukraine is fortifying the border, tearing out rail lines, and mining the hell out of the frontier. Ukrainian forces have driven back Russian border guards several km away in spots from the line with artillery and gunfire. Closing this as a possible axis for any renewed Russian assault from the north is clearly a high priority.

This is explicitly why Kyiv has recently asked for more modern tracked vehicles. They do know their own country.

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
Just a few pages ago your very first comment to Ukraine's stunning offensive success was that 'it was bad for them.'

Can you link us a single instance, in this or any thread, of another poster here demanding you comment on Putin's health or eventual retirement? You've been dragged here for not supporting your newsflashes with links, and you've been laughed at for downplaying Ukrainian success while often trying to give the Russians some kind or credit or see them in a better light.

Yet you're still here, still acting like a victim, just like before.

Either grow up or fuck off Mike. Might be time to go find that pro Russia forum you'd probably be happy in. This ain't it.

I have been posting here since the forum started and internet tough guys did not scare me then and they do not now.

There is zero pro Russian content in my post(s). I don’t have to post fantasy posts like the ghost of Kyiv shooting down the entire Russian Air Force to be pro Ukraine.

As I have said before, my mother is Ukrainian and I am anything but pro Russian. So you can take that accusation and stick it up your obviously overly tight ass.

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
Due to Ukrainian operational silence, or at least delay, it's somewhat difficult to gauge the extent and speed of Ukrainian advance east of the Oskil. Russian mil bloggers say they are making progress and they're not likely to lie about that. The advance seems more steady and deliberate. I would not characterize it as "very slow". "very slow" is shelling a few houses outside of Bahkmut for a month and moving into the rubble.

It is reported Ukraine is fortifying the border, tearing out rail lines, and mining the hell out of the frontier. Ukrainian forces have driven back Russian border guards several km away in spots from the line with artillery and gunfire. Closing this as a possible axis for any renewed Russian assault from the north is clearly a high priority.

This is explicitly why Kyiv has recently asked for more modern tracked vehicles. They do know their own country.

I don’t have Telegraph so I have been reading Twitter as it seems to have more up-to date info than other sources. Lyman might fall tomorrow posts have been around for at least 2 weeks.

Pro Russian sources switched from endless waves of Ukrainian soldiers dying in the attempt to take it to, oh shit, they are making good progress to the north in particular nearby.

I am guessing that the hope was that the defenders would run like they did in the recent sweeping success but it looks like they dug in and have been fighting back and progress was slower than hoped.

Kherson looks to be much more bloody. New York Times had a report on that (I posted several pages above). Ukraine morale seems to be quite strong, though.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I never said Putin would reassemble the entirety of the USSR. Nevertheless, there are plenty of former SSRs that he could annex if that was his primary objective in life. By your doctrine, you would let him take Ukraine and a bunch of other now independent countries in central Asia because they were former SSRs. By that same doctrine, I could then argue China should be given back to the Mongols.

Idiots.

I don't think Putin wants to recreate the USSR. He's been quite explicit that he wants to recreate the pre-USSR Russian Empire. The Soviet Union was relatively decentralised. Lenin was keen on the rights of national minorities (even if Stalin undid that to an extent) - Putin has explicitly denounced him for precisely that.

Furthermore, when it comes to borders, Putin appears to aspire to those of the pre-1917 Russian Empire, rather than just stopping at the (slightly less-expansive) limits of the old USSR. Bad news for Finland and Poland.

Putin dreams of being the reincarnation of Peter the Great - I just hope it's starting to dawn on him that he's turning out to be more Nicholas II.

(What with Johnson wanting to be the reincarnation of Churchill and Truss thinking she's Thatcher, it seems to be an era of leaders dreaming of being the recreation of long-dead ones?)

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Only your non-sourced posts are relevant, huh?

fuck off.

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
Only your non-sourced posts are relevant, huh?

fuck off.

Another internet tough guy.

Funny that posting standards are high for me but pages of Twitter reposts with doctored or outright fake photos about the mobilization are fine. And I always said what my source of opinion was, I just did not post a link every time.

I will continue to post whatever I want to unless a mod sends a request otherwise, which takes pretty egregious rules violations in this forum.

If you don’t want to see posts from better sourced media that shows that the Ukrainians are also suffering and it is not a hero story in the movies, just skip on by. I figure knowing what the human cost is to the people in their army would elicit more support of the weapons and equipment they need.

Reactions: Leeea and fskimospy

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I don’t have Telegraph so I have been reading Twitter as it seems to have more up-to date info than other sources. Lyman might fall tomorrow posts have been around for at least 2 weeks.

It appears the Russians reinforced it and are under orders to hold out no matter what. Not a mystery where those kinds of orders would likely come from. As for when "no matter what" comes that's a question of how hard the AFU pounds on them.

I am guessing that the hope was that the defenders would run like they did in the recent sweeping success but it looks like they dug in and have been fighting back and progress was slower than hoped.

Reports farther north along the Oskil indicate the Russians do not have the strength to resist AFU attacks there. The growing desperation of now throwing Russian aviation at them everywhere even at very heavy cost is illuminating.

Kherson looks to be much more bloody. New York Times had a report on that (I posted several pages above). Ukraine morale seems to be quite strong, though.

This is mostly atrittional warfare now though the AFU seems to be making progress here and there, nibbling away at the Russian zone. Russians are reportedly in really rough shape but told they can't withdraw. I'd def prefer to be the Ukrainians in that fight who don't have their back to a river with strangled supply lines.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
So Italy shifted right and put Putin stooges in office. Lets see how that plays out the coming weeks.

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
So Italy shifted right and put Putin stooges in office. Lets see how that plays out the coming weeks.

The leader of their new coalition has made it pretty clear that she supports aiding Ukraine and is not a Brexit type policy maker.

Right wing British government has been extremely supportive so I don’t think that is the determining factor and London (the City) certainly has been feeding off Putin and co teats for a long time and still did the right thing.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Another internet tough guy.

Funny that posting standards are high for me but pages of Twitter reposts with doctored or outright fake photos about the mobilization are fine. And I always said what my source of opinion was, I just did not post a link every time.

I will continue to post whatever I want to unless a mod sends a request otherwise, which takes pretty egregious rules violations in this forum.

If you don’t want to see posts from better sourced media that shows that the Ukrainians are also suffering and it is not a hero story in the movies, just skip on by. I figure knowing what the human cost is to the people in their army would elicit more support of the weapons and equipment they need.

To be clear, because nuance seems beyond you, is that I don't think your consistently negative interpretations of the war from Ukraine's perspective is really at issue--a more sobering, tempered analysis I think is appreciated, even if people just want to hear only positive news, even if negative perspectives can be annoying.

That's not really the issue.

The issue is your fucking arrogance that "only you!" know what is actually going on. Only you have access to the "only real sources." You're sitting here arguing that everyone else is using fake twitter and twitter in general to get their information, while in the same sentence you hail your own use of Twitter as somehow relevant.

You aren't special. I don't know if it's a lack of....progress in education during your lifetime or whatever, but sitting here and declaring your "Secret sourcing" to be perfect and handwaving away rebuffs about your lack of sourcing with "I don't have to link them every time" is completely useless. You probably have an inability to think outside of yourself, so you assume only you are right and no one deserves access to your secret knowledge. This is your arrogance and everyone sees it. It doesn't matter what you think about that, because it is the truth

Until you accept the plain fact that what you think doesn't matter to anyone else, you will continue to be challenged about your information and your constant Debbie Downer analysis.

Now you will get mad at me and claim you are brilliant anyway because somehow "posting on the internet for a great number of years" gives you some sort of credibility for anything. No one cares. In this case, what you are here is only what anyone sees of you. Do you understand that this is how you present yourself?

Reactions: Meghan54 and Leeea