Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 521 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
FSp1G_aXsAAzwqy
That should include a flipoff from Poland about now. Belarus too maybe.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Not solely war related but it is certainly contributing to a terrible storm that is starting to hit food supplies. Not only did Ukraine account for 10% of the worlds exported wheat, 14% of corn and 50% of sunflower oil but Russia stopped exporting fertilizer and their food exports are way down this year. Inflation is hitting many countries and many have seen their currencies decline against the dollar making their imports even more expensive. India is experiencing a heatwave and lack of rain. US plantings have been delayed due to weather and this could notably impact crop yields in the US reducing the amount we export. Countries like India and Indonesia are starting to ban food exports to help their internal situations. If the droughts, bad weather, high inflation and war continue into June\July this could be Real Bad News

Reactions: KMFJD

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Not solely war related but it is certainly contributing to a terrible storm that is starting to hit food supplies. Not only did Ukraine account for 10% of the worlds exported wheat, 14% of corn and 50% of sunflower oil but Russia stopped exporting fertilizer and their food exports are way down this year. Inflation is hitting many countries and many have seen their currencies decline against the dollar making their imports even more expensive. India is experiencing a heatwave and lack of rain. US plantings have been delayed due to weather and this could notably impact crop yields in the US reducing the amount we export. Countries like India and Indonesia are starting to ban food exports to help their internal situations. If the droughts, bad weather, high inflation and war continue into June\July this could be Real Bad News

As the United Nations World Food Programme has said. Unless Russia stops the war, millions WILL die across the world.
Frankly, this is already too late. But they still gotta beg evil to not make a horrific situation worse than it already is.
There are no signs Russia is going to listen.

In related news, I caught a video of Finland's President. Don't know if this was posted before.

Their decision to join NATO is based on two things. Russia has changed from historical norms and publicly voiced control over Finnish sovereignty, and then obviously... proving it has a hunger for invading its neighbors. Reading between the lines, this is an unacceptable threat that Finland feels a need to protect itself from.

Reactions: Number1

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Assuming Finland joins NATO that is a much bigger deal than I realized and I already thought it was kinda important. I mean I know what they did in 1939 and their stance but I underestimated how much they continued to build and expand their military and defensive capabilities.

Its artillery arsenal of 1,500 cannons is the largest in Western Europe. It has bought advanced American surface-to-air missiles and has one of the continent’s best cyber defenses. Military service is still mandatory.

Under Finland’s comprehensive-security model, it can mobilize a wartime army of 280,000 troops and has an additional 600,000 reservists, among Europe’s largest armed forces per capita.

Finnish building codes require apartment blocks and other large buildings to include shelters able to withstand bombs and chemical attacks. That has resulted in underground tunnels and shelters throughout the country that can house more than four million people, about 70% of the population. In Helsinki, large shelters double in peacetime as ice rinks and sports arenas.

Company executives go through simulation games rehearsing national emergencies, said Janne Känkänen, NESA’s chief executive officer. More than 10,000 civil-society and business leaders have participated in monthlong national defense courses, in which they get to know one another’s roles in an emergency. Regional courses, such as in remote regions near the Russian border, have trained 60,000 of them.

Russia has its hands full with Ukrainians and a (comparatively) small underground complex so while Finland's active military is small (22,000) they've got almost 900,000 trained and pissed off Fins with huge amounts of defensive fortifications and weapons aligned to NATO armament standards. Not to mention a few Gabriel V anti-ship missiles that have a longer range than the Neptunes and we know how well the Neptunes have worked out for Russia

NEARLY 200 MILES OF TUNNELS snake beneath Helsinki, providing a weatherproof subterranean playground for the Finnish capital’s residents and visitors. Yet hidden behind the bright lights of the underground attractions—which include a museum, church, go-kart track, hockey rink, and more—are emergency shelters fitted with life-sustaining equipment: an air filtration system, an estimated two-week supply of food and water, and cots and other comforts.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/helsinki-underground-city-emergency-shelter

Putin is the very best geopolitical strategist
after Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, public backing for Finnish NATO membership jumped to 53% in late February from around 20% weeks earlier, and to 76% on May 9, according to polls by national broadcaster Yle.

Reactions: RnR_au and Number1

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

Will probably have knock-on effects in destabilising other countries. Sri Lanka is already in chaos, on the brink of a new civil war. (Much of that being due to domestic causes, but I think the international situation is exacerbating it)

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
thought that was 3x

Depends if Russia are putting as much effort into saving their wounded as the Western armies that 3X number is based on. A wounded soldier left behind bleeding in a ditch turns into a dead soldier pretty quickly.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Russian withdrawal in the face of Ukrainian offensive north of Kharkiv headed to completion. Ukrainians going after supply lines to Izyum next. Time for the Russian Donbas offensive draws ever shorter.

Reactions: Number1

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
The US is still supplying high-tech weaponry to Saudi Arabia, even after 400,000 people have died in Yemen, including 10,000 civilians killed by Saudi bombs. So maybe you should be boycotting American food?
What is "American food?" I haven't eaten a hamburger or hot dog in years. Or apple pie.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Technically what he said is correct. What's fucked up about it is that bringing pork home is their fucking job but he views THAT as the bad thing they are doing. That wasn't the point being made when he responded like the brainwashed fool he is.

The point was how he treats the rest of America. Democrats bring home pork for their constituents but do not hesitate to send funds to Republican states or foreign countries when they need it because they give a shit about the health of all Americans and citizens of the world. Republicans are pure, concentrated fuck you got mine and if they can't have that then it's fuck every single one of us if I can't get mine. Often it's even I'd rather fuck everyone including my own constituents if the alternative is a liberal getting anything.

Bull Shit as usual...

Democrat Pork is good.
Republican Pork is bad.

Typical of you and Zin.

You guys are a Joke.