Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 400 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Can Putin be kicked off the UN Security Council as some are pushing for?

Very unlikely, though it should definitely happen. A country proudly fascist and led by war criminals, who feels entitled to exterminate it's neighbors unprovoked, has no business being on any such body. Zelenskyy couldn't be more right.

But like hell China is going to let their new bitch lose any ability to support the CCP agenda.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Very unlikely, though it should definitely happen. A country proudly fascist and led by war criminals, who feels entitled to exterminate it's neighbors unprovoked, has no business being on any such body. Zelenskyy couldn't be more right.

But like hell China is going to let their new bitch lose any ability to support the CCP agenda.

I don't think it's just down to China - as I understand it, all current members of the security council would have a veto over any such proposal - including Russia itself. The permanent members of the Security Council are kind of a fundamental attribute of the UN, as they are the ones who created it.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I don't think it's just down to China - as I understand it, all current members of the security council would have a veto over any such proposal - including Russia itself. The permanent members of the Security Council are kind of a fundamental attribute of the UN, as they are the ones who created it.

Not quite correct-only the five permanent members (China, USA, United Kingdom, France and Russia) of the Security Council have the veto power. Same effect-either Russia or China can block any meaningful action.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
That really is an apt comparison.

Makes me liken Trumpism to covid19. Fucked the economy, killed over a million Americans, and many pretending it never happened.

The Q's in my family are really going Batshet crazy claiming Ukraine is staging the atrocities, hiring people to play dead in the Ukrainian streets for the camera, claiming life in Ukraine is perfectly normal, and fully believing Putin when Putin says the deaths are staged and faked.
Funny.... when the term fake and faking seems to be the new MO of the Q and for the Trumpie party. They can not accept anything is real unless it comes from Donald Trump's mouth.
IS THERE A PSYCHIATRIST IN THE HOUSE???

I still can not figure out just how or when communism became the preferred by so many Americans, and their trusting in dictators preferred over believing in ones own democracy. Should anyone dare question why they would choose to trust and believe in communist dictators over their own leaders and government they justify their twisted beliefs by using patriotism and personal freedoms. They shout USA USA, while believing Ukraine is the aggressor and Vladimir Putin is the innocent dove.
Things are pretty screwed up here in America. A good psychiatrist is urgently needed, not that it would do any good.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Not quite correct-only the five permanent members (China, USA, United Kingdom, France and Russia) of the Security Council have the veto power. Same effect-either Russia or China can block any meaningful action.
Seems like the UN is a total joke and will remain so for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: UnklSnappy and Muse

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
The Q's in my family are really going Batshet crazy claiming Ukraine is staging the atrocities, hiring people to play dead in the Ukrainian streets for the camera, claiming life in Ukraine is perfectly normal, and fully believing Putin when Putin says the deaths are staged and faked.
Funny.... when the term fake and faking seems to be the new MO of the Q and for the Trumpie party. They can not accept anything is real unless it comes from Donald Trump's mouth.

I still can not figure out just how or when communism became the preferred by so many Americans, and their trusting in dictators preferred over believing in ones own democracy. Should anyone dare question why they would choose to trust and believe in communist dictators over their own leaders and government they justify their twisted beliefs by using patriotism and personal freedoms. They shout USA USA, while believing Ukraine is the aggressor and Vladimir Putin is the innocent dove.
Things are pretty screwed up here in America. A good psychiatrist is urgently needed, not that it would do any good.

It’s happening in Canada too, even among those who laugh at stuff like qanon. They’re convinced Putin is the relatively good guy because they think the west is broken/dead/failing/degenerate. If the west supports something, it must be bad.

• Wow
Reactions: Muse

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003

I just said it should happen, not that it could happen.

Expect China to defend Russia from accountability in any way though, as any effort there will only be a hindrance to Beijing in the future too.

Last edited:

RnR_au

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2021
Its like the Cold War never happened...

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
The UN is a vehicle for organized diplomatic chatter. It's pretty useless when things get serious, which is where we are.

Reactions: pmv

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

I honestly can't imagine why you'd speak to your relatives, much less consent to meet them in person (the Q's at least). I certainly would not were I in your shoes.