Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 390 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003

Plus laser guided rockets and real night vision kits, hell yeah. More good news.

They need heavy weapons though. US needs to sweet talk more European allies out of artillery, MLRS, help make those coastal defenses into reef producers. I want to see footage of the Russian Navy catchin what NSM is pitchin.

Reactions: feralkid

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Have they no flares?

You know, I realize now the last 3 or 4 clips I've seen of Russian aircraft getting nailed I don't think any of them included flares popping.

At least in a jet when you're out you can still manuever. A chopper ain't dodging shit though, those pilots must shit bricks every time they fly.

Reactions: hal2kilo

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
You know, I realize now the last 3 or 4 clips I've seen of Russian aircraft getting nailed I don't think any of them included flares popping.

At least in a jet when you're out you can still manuever. A chopper ain't dodging shit though, those pilots must shit bricks every time they fly.
That why I mentioned it. Not one of the videos with a chopper going down did I see any flares going off. It seemed like I saw so much Iraqi war footage and choppers were throwing off flares like no tomorrow to throw off the missile tracking.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
That why I mentioned it. Not one of the videos with a chopper going down did I see any flares going off. It seemed like I saw so much Iraqi war footage and choppers were throwing off flares like no tomorrow to throw off the missile tracking.
The first night I saw a ton of flares being used, but none since then. Guessing they ran out.

Racan

Golden Member
Sep 22, 2012
Have they no flares?
If the gunship was shot down with Starstreak flares won't work against it, this missile uses manual laser beam riding guidance, so it's not fire and forget but can't be spoofed by such countermeasures.

Reactions: hal2kilo

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
If the gunship was shot down with Starstreak flares won't work against it, this missile uses manual laser beam riding guidance, so it's not fire and forget but can't be spoofed by such countermeasures.

Yeah, as an expert in weapon systems (by which I mean "having just earlier today spent two minutes scan-reading wikipedia") I'm not sure flares would have helped, given the guidance system that Starstreak uses (it involves lasers...though in some complex fashion that doesn't require continual target 'painting').

However, you'd think if the helicopter crew _had_ flares, they'd be firing them off anyway (as they probably didn't have time to check wikipedia) so the point still stands, no?

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Yeah, as an expert in weapon systems (by which I mean "having just earlier today spent two minutes scan-reading wikipedia") I'm not sure flares would have helped, given the guidance system that Starstreak uses (it involves lasers...though in some complex fashion that doesn't require continual target 'painting').

However, you'd think if the helicopter crew _had_ flares, they'd be firing them off anyway (as they probably didn't have time to check wikipedia) so the point still stands, no?
Depends if they get any warning about incoming missiles.

Reactions: hal2kilo and Racan

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

*FIRE THE FLARES*
*oh no, its a startreak, nevermind*

Unless flare deployment is automatic I think the point still stands.

Racan

Golden Member
Sep 22, 2012
Depends on many things I guess, does the helicopter have a missile warning system capable of detecting a Starstreak missile flying at Mach 4 at that low altitude and can automatically deploy flares? Does it require that the pilot manually release them? I don't know enough to say.

Reactions: cytg111

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
I recall flying nap of the earth in slicks roller coasting up and down ravines, cliff sides and valleys to escape from getting ventilated after viewing how Russian helo's found the need to traverse flat ground with nowhere to mask and kind'a-sort'a-not-really felt sympathy for the Russian dudes riding around in those air mobile sheet metal coffins. Feeling thrilled and ass puckered scared shitless at the same time was interesting to say the least. Pretty sure those fellas in the helo's felt the same.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
how does this work, though? Does a pilot try to fly his plane in and radio to Ukrainian forces that he's surrendering to collect the bounty, and to please not shoot him down? Then, of course, Russians just start doing that in order to fly in close without facing defense, then start murdering Ukrainians on the ground?
I'd think they'd strategize this. You come in on runway 3 around 1PM, we'll be ready. If you try any hanky panky you get a missile up your wazoo and we get to see the fireworks. If you're a good boy, you're set for life and we get the fighter.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Ukraine: Perfect, let us know when Putin is coming to Kyiv.
for that matter, Zelenskyy to Moscow. Would have to be a neutral site. I find it very hard to imagine a face to face between Putin and Zelenskyy, I doubt that will EVER happen. Putin's too much the irredeemable prick.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Putin and Zelensky can do a virtual meet. In person is probably too much of a risk, in the eyes of both parties.

The emerging evidence of mass atrocities north of Kyiv is not going to do things the Russians want for US/EU countries willingness to supply Ukraine with heavy weapons. Nor the willingness of Ukraine to fully utilize them.

Reactions: hal2kilo and RnR_au

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
for that matter, Zelenskyy to Moscow. Would have to be a neutral site. I find it very hard to imagine a face to face between Putin and Zelenskyy, I doubt that will EVER happen. Putin's too much the irredeemable prick.

The rumour is Turkey. But I kinda doubt Putin will leave Moscow right now.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
I'm sure there are a shitload of discrete ways NATO and associates are delivering needed resources where they're needed in Ukraine. Tech, especially of the very costly sat sourced intel our allies are providing must be well received by Ukraine strategists.

As well, Putin's allies like China and India are surely doing the same.

Aside from that, I've been wondering how the Russian/Russian-Americans are being affected by Putin's attempted take-over of Ukraine. I've not heard news of their being attacked and discriminated against and thought about why that is.

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
Another video out of Bucha:
It appears the Russian Federation just took the civilian population to the street in front of their homes and executed them.
So far news in US seems to be refusing to cover these atrocities- perhaps waiting for independent verification, but lots of supporting proof already including independent press observing the collection of civilian corpses.

On the other hand, several news sources still quoting Russian propaganda calling this a withdrawal to defuse tensions (without attribution or disclaimer).

Reactions: dank69