Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 320 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Interesting article but a two things bothered me. First is that all the pictures were in black and white. Color exists and is ok to use. Black and white has it's placed but is often very much overused. Also...Yet...Was there luggage or no luggage?
Maybe he and his left without luggage but the "community" of escapees at the checkpoints included escapees who DID have luggage. That makes sense to me.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
It's a very small issue in the scheme-of-things, but I agree with you. People have complained about this in the past in relation to the "proper media" not just internet videos. Supposedly serious news-outlets putting inappropriately-trivializing music over real news or documentary footage. Anyway I can never be bothered to turn the sound on for most of these things (just too much effort to turn the speakers on and fiddle with the volume to avoid disturbing the neighboursj, what with the walls here lacking all sound-insulation).
For me disturbing the neighbors isn't an issue unless I turn the sound up. In any case, I'm watching these videos with earbuds plugged into a laptop, so neighbors aren't privy.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

I'm glad he's dead and I hope he suffered.... I do feel for his family. :confused:

It does seem a bit strange all these Russian generals being lost in combat though.... anyone else have the feeling that it's no coincidence a lot of the senior military leadership that might be some kind of internal threat to Putin is getting knocked off?

After all an active war-zone is the PERFECT place for "accidents". :rolleyes:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Where did you read that? I haven't seen that claim. Though it's an interesting historical echo of Stalin if true.

Russian rulers have been careful to ensure the Russian army was kept well away from political power since the days of Timoshenko (or do I mean Tukhachevsky?)
I saw that info, it was probably linked here--actually I saw it twice, it was probably a Twitter thread and included video of an exchange between a ranking man in the RU military and a civilian of influence, in a setting with many seated witnesses. Point was, Russia is trying to minimize the power of the military in order to prevent a coup staged by them. It's one of Putin's main concerns.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
It does seem a bit strange all these Russian generals being lost in combat though.... anyone else have the feeling that it's no coincidence a lot of the senior military leadership that might be some kind of internal threat to Putin is getting knocked off?

RU secure comms have apparently almost totally broken down so they're left talking on unencrypted radios and stolen cell phones which are prone to interception. Given the propensity of flag officers to be closer to the front than is typical in the west and Ukraine's ability to reach out and touch somebody means a lot of dead officers of ranks that we'd consider unthinkable.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
RU secure comms have apparently almost totally broken down so they're left talking on unencrypted radios and stolen cell phones which are prone to interception. Given the propensity of flag officers to be closer to the front than is typical in the west and Ukraine's ability to reach out and touch somebody means a lot of dead officers of ranks that we'd consider unthinkable.

How convenient for Putin is all I'm saying.... I think he's eliminating the potential opposition.

Reactions: zinfamous

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
How convenient for Putin is all I'm saying.... I think he's eliminating the potential opposition.

Eh any threat is likely to come out of the security services than the military most likely. Which is one reason he's started arresting high ranking FSB guys.

For the war efforts these kinds of losses are disastrous. Most lower level officers can't take initiative in their army so everything gets fucked waiting for some general to give say so. Only they're ending up dead which further messes everything up.

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
After reading and watching news reports on Mariupol, it’s just like Aleppo and Grozny all over again. Electricity, water and NG are cut off. Food is running out, the Russians were even 'kind' enough to bomb a huge food warehouse with 15,000 tons of food supplies in it. The apartment buildings are decimated, heavy damage, all windows blown out and even the exterior concrete walls are charred from the bombs and ensuing fires. People do not even know where to bury their beloved dead. Residents are scurrying around looking for food, water and wood to make fires to keep warm. They are living in conditions only suitable for rats. Humanitarian relief convoys are being turned back. It's yet another shocking human tragedy.

I'm 58. I'm no longer of fighting age, or, at present, not even fit to fight. I am not a tough guy. I’ve been interested in the military for decades, as my father was in the army and worked as a civilian for the Army at two different military installations - I grew up with it and had friends from military families. I think I understand that while very few human affairs can be solved through war - there are times, not as rare as they should be, that can only be resolved by military might and power.

All that said; I'm coming to the end of my rope when it comes to this war of Russian aggression in Ukraine. In fucking Europe!! I understand Biden's caution, and his and other NATO country's need to protect their own citizens. But now we are more united than we have been in two decades. We need to build up a large enough force in Poland, and perhaps Romania (if they’ll let us) to create a credible threat to Russian forces in Ukraine 🇺🇦. I believe we must do it now. We must tell the Russians that we will intervene if they continue this war. We must force serious negotiations, negotiations that are backed by the full weight and power of our military alliance with Europe. Sanctions will not stop the bloodshed, and the Ukrainian people have done more than enough to prove their willingness to sacrifice for the survival of their nation. How is it possible that we refrain from, at least the willingness, to sacrifice blood and treasure in complete solidarity with them.

This is a defining moment. A time for the West to show that we stand behind the values we share. The reasonable and intrinsic values that declare a right to life, liberty and fraternity. The ability to strive for happiness and prosperity for one’s self and family. We are not currently being led by idiotic and corrupt men as was the case with GWB's administration. We are not going to turn to full out war in a land where we have no business in being, with a people we do not understand. We fought two wars to try to being peace to Europe. It is time for NATO to stand up for peace in Europe today. I believe that when we put a large army on the western border of Ukraine, Putin will do what all bullies do; puff out his chest and threaten us with nuclear annihilation. And then, if the FSB and military fail to take him out, he will bargain with us and then get the fuck out of dodge and go run his diminutive and corrupt little kingdom till he is deposed or dies. If he doesn’t negotiate at first, which almost certainly he will, we start moving east, with the permission of free Ukraine.

View attachment 58890

"Feels"-wise I completely agree. Unfortunately allowing feelings/emotions to dictate nuclear strategy just gets everyone dead.

Far as strategy goes this is insanity .... Fallout was a decent video game but I have no desire to become a vault-resident myself!

:oops:

105.png

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
One and two star generals aren’t really any risk to Putin, they’re still way too far down. Now the FSB region chief in Moscow put under house arrest on the other hand…

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
One and two star generals aren’t really any risk to Putin, they’re still way too far down. Now the FSB region chief in Moscow put under house arrest on the other hand…

From what I read this particular General was extremely popular and very well known .... nothing I've seen posted here so far convinces me he wasn't set up to be whacked. (obviously this is speculation)

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
From what I read this particular General was extremely popular and very well known .... nothing I've seen posted here so far convinces me he wasn't set up to be whacked. (obviously this is speculation)

If this was an isolated incident maybe. Ukraine is really racking up the kills on the Russian officer corps though.

Reactions: Captante and Racan

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
there's really not anything at LL as far as I recall...worth targeting for this purpose. It's history, really, and whatever reactivity is there is, maybe you know or don't know--I don't know--would only be a target to "make things worse in s small area-- that's certainly possible, but it would honestly be a waste of Russian potential. Their "potential" honestly seems really weak right now.

Still, you live in world tech central. Brain-wise, anyway. There would be a statement, that everyone would see, about nuking nearby SV, and it would sure be considered a war crime unlike no other. They would nuke Apple and for that, the world in this day probably would not stand for that. But yeah, I can see how everything there is a knowledge/human advancement and progress target. It would be on point for Putin.

...in that light, I suggest you "turn your key" for once and get your ass through the tunnel and over to Orinda or Napa or the other side of the mountain wall from where the fallout will land, about 20 miles south of that.

Too bleak?

Don't worry. I'm like 4 miles from flat, swampy DC. I'm not worried. And therefore, you're being ridiculous.
I'm not worried. The prospect of dying doesn't concern me. I figure in all out nuclear war between Russia and USA I'm going to be dead in a month. I'd prefer to die as quickly as possible than fight an inevitable nasty first strike aftermath.

Last edited:

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
I'd like to suggest to Pres. Zelenskyy that during his peace talks with Putin he would say "You know Puti, I've been getting reports from my soldiers fighting your troops in Mariupol that your troops are exquisitely delicious, what are your thoughts about sending to us many more of them?"

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Still hearing rumors that Belarus is gearing up for the war.
Don't know how credible those are, given prior warnings.

If this war expands, and Belarus wants to start a slaughter near the polish border, we need to respond.

Fuck Belarus with a fucking vengeance. Time to go to war.