Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 301 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
They did have the Moskvitch, but they went belly up in 2002
View attachment 58729

And the Volga, among others.

1647474917236.png

Came across a Swede in Europe who had one. Built extra tough for the Russian roads and the Russian winter.

The Fiat 124 that became the Lada? They toughend that up as well, and when their engineers first got them, they put an overhead cam on the Fiat engine and took it racing. No lie!

Reactions: zinfamous

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Not sure the scared part is true. He has shown great resolve in arming the Ukrainian army. Just because he will not engage is not out of fear, but a rational thought process.

I don't know why there is a need to establish Biden as not fearful here. Being afraid of nuclear war when there is any non-zero chance of it occurring is not only normal. It's required. I'd be worried if he wasn't at least a little afraid.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I don't know why there is a need to establish Biden as not fearful here. Being afraid of nuclear war when there is any non-zero chance of it occurring is not only normal. It's required. I'd be worried if he wasn't at least a little afraid.
Everyone a gangsta until they see someone turned into charred ash in front of them.

Reactions: hal2kilo

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
Protecting Ukraine from genocide is one thing.
Entry into NATO is another.

There will be extremism, terrorism, violence for decades to follow after this blood bath. I am not so sure we should guarantee absolute protection for a nation that has been so ruthlessly slaughtered. For they will be desperately hungry for Russian blood. Ours should be for the protection of life. To step in on a case by case basis, with no guarantee beforehand. To help us avoid encouraging them, if they wanted to do something reckless months and years from now.

We cannot let a thirst for vengeance drag us into any future wars with Russia. The measure of aggression and innocence should weigh on our every action. A rebuilt Ukraine would need to demonstrate that it can democratically function first, and make any necessary concessions to work towards a lasting peace. Absent that, I would not want to give guarantees to the hundreds of thousands who want to avenge loved ones.

Remember, very clearly, this is not over when a ceasefire begins.

I find your enthusiasm for a massive western intervention but dislike for taking a “peace” deal and then making sure this doesn’t happen again a little hard to square.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Switchblade confirmed. ;)

This channel has a broader look at how things are shaping up. Claims what we are seeing has a major bias.

Yeah he's right actually, the difference in coverage is kind of hard to ignore, not that there aren't good reasons for it though. The Javelin captures and the oil lines from Belarus both are largely unknown, haven't seen those mentioned anywhere else really.

Have to say, that was a good video from him.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I find your enthusiasm for a massive western intervention but dislike for taking a “peace” deal and then making sure this doesn’t happen again a little hard to square.

Enthusiasm for pushing back the current military offensive. To stop, today, the genocide that is occurring here and now.
As for the rest, where the hell is your reading comprehension? My post was about wanting Ukraine to settle for peace, not be encouraged by a NATO shield to go for blood. I fully expect decades of violence to follow this slaughter. This whole ordeal does not end if a ceasefire were made tomorrow. Not guaranteeing we'd back that violence IS a move for peace.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
And I should have a pony that shits emeralds the size of a watermelon. Russia would get totally rocked if they came for Poland or the rest of the old Warsaw Pact no matter how much they think they should have it.
Sure sure sure, and another 100 sure things.
I am just wondering about the conditioning of the german people pre actual WW2.
Its probably nothing. Forget I said anything.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Smart move by Beijing, long game strategy as always. China sees what the West did to Russia's economy and doesn't want to risk catching any of that itself. CCP still has ships, missiles and subs to build. Still small Pacific Rim countries out there that aren't in a Chinese debt trap. Xi got shook by this, and then here's Japan, puffing out it's chest like it's 1895 all of a sudden. Xi will not jeopardize amassing his toy collection, especially now after seeing Russian equipment eat shit repeatedly. It's not his fault Putin decided to jump based on assumptions, using deception and silence to get his people to invade and murder their Slavic brothers. Can't let that threaten the Great Rejuvenation or the conquest of Taiwan, which will now require even more assets and preparation than initially planned.

Great short terms news though as it's lousy news for Putin. Assuming China just doesn't give him what he wants on the sly.

China is so much like Russia and both are much like Trump when it comes to telling lies. All three lie with such ease.

I'd really like to believe China, but I'm taking that with the proverbial mountain range of salt due to the aforementioned and how pourous the Russian-China border is. China is obliged to Putin to some degree, and I can't help but think that Xi will sneak as much ordnance over to his fellow authoritarian as he thinks they can get away with. Or, if the Chinese get caught, they'll simply lie it to the world like they always do and not give a rat's ass about it.

Reactions: adamsleath

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
Enthusiasm for pushing back the current military offensive. To stop, today, the genocide that is occurring here and now.
As for the rest, where the hell is your reading comprehension? My post was about wanting Ukraine to settle for peace, not be encouraged by a NATO shield to go for blood. I fully expect decades of violence to follow this slaughter. This whole ordeal does not end if a ceasefire were made tomorrow. Not guaranteeing we'd back that violence IS a move for peace.

Article five doesn't cover offensive wars. Nor does it have to cover obviously provoked "defensive" wars.

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
No pivot at all. China still all in on team Russia, and doing anything it can get away with to weaken the US and NATO. This is just a bit of diplomatic spin to try to improve perceptions, while saying absolutely nothing.

Simultaneously, Chinese media continues to blame the “special operation” in Ukraine as entirely the fault of US and NATO warmongers. And this media blitz continues to be mass distributed to not only China but also India.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
You can't really believe this obvious Russian agitprop bullshit, can you? I bet you weren't chowing down on everything the Russians pulled out of their large intestine during the cold war, were you? Can you even see what you've become? An eager Putin shill? Really?
Is that why your party asked for help from the Russians in the 1980's to defeat Ronnie Raygun, and took tons of money from China in the 1990's to get Clinton elected? Your party also used Russian disinformation in the 2016 election and used that for several years trying to remove a duly elected President. Democrats and their cultists have had a Vegas style buffet of Russian and Chinese influence for decades.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Is that why your party asked for help from the Russians in the 1980's to defeat Ronnie Raygun, and took tons of money from China in the 1990's to get Clinton elected? Your party also used Russian disinformation in the 2016 election and used that for several years trying to remove a duly elected President. Democrats and their cultists have had a Vegas style buffet of Russian and Chinese influence for decades.

You *still* don’t know why Trump was impeached, do you??? Hint: it had nothing to do with Russian disinformation.

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002

What exactly do you eat to shit out this many turds?

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005

wow this is some crazy bullshit lol

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

RnR_au

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2021
Russia is against some decent numbers. And then when you apply the force multiplier of the home ground advantage and Western weapons... yikes..

It is not just weapons that are flooding into Ukraine. Volunteers are streaming into the country by any means they can in order to fight.

More than 60,000 Ukrainians from its diaspora have returned to the country and are now engaged in fighting Russia, according to Ukraine’s defence minister, Oleksii Reznikov.

Foreign fighters are all also making their way, driven by a variety of ideologies and reasons, with Ukraine saying that 20,000 people have applied to join the international legion created in response to the Russian invasion.
Form https://www.aljazeera.com/features/2022/3/15/how-russias-tactics-are-evolving-in-ukraine

80k new committed fighters is a nice boon to receive. No wonder there are stories today of counter attacks by Ukraine.

And a fourth general have been lost by the Russians.

Reactions: adamsleath