Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 300 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
EXCEPT that due to current events an actual EU army is a certainty. Countries that have held back is holding back no more.. This is coming.
A multi-national army, not some lightly armed peacekeeping force but an army equipped to go toe to toe with dem Rooskies, well, that will have some long, long teething pains.

Reactions: cytg111 and pmv

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
A multi-national army, not some lightly armed peacekeeping force but an army equipped to go toe to toe with dem Rooskies, well, that will have some long, long teething pains.
I dont know, its almost like its the subset of NATO minus the US. And anywhere you want to dice it, all big things have small beginnings.
I have actually not seen the math on this, NATO-US vs Russia .. what does that equation look like?

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
It's so hilarious to hear GQP traitors criticize Biden on 'not acting fast enough.' They worship and support Trump The Twice Impeached Traitor who said to hell with Ukraine's defenses, I'm going to extort political slime out of Zelenskyy to help my election chances.

Putin's cockholster did what he was told on sanctions and elsewhere, and 'no one was as tough to Putin as I was..."

lol, so then tell us traitor, where are your Russian sanctions then?

Edit: what fski said
They just can't wait to be vaporized, I guess. Covid fake, plasma vaporization fake, radioactive fallout, fake.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Guess China said no to military aid. Poor little Vlad is all alone.

Smart move by Beijing, long game strategy as always. China sees what the West did to Russia's economy and doesn't want to risk catching any of that itself. CCP still has ships, missiles and subs to build. Still small Pacific Rim countries out there that aren't in a Chinese debt trap. Xi got shook by this, and then here's Japan, puffing out it's chest like it's 1895 all of a sudden. Xi will not jeopardize amassing his toy collection, especially now after seeing Russian equipment eat shit repeatedly. It's not his fault Putin decided to jump based on assumptions, using deception and silence to get his people to invade and murder their Slavic brothers. Can't let that threaten the Great Rejuvenation or the conquest of Taiwan, which will now require even more assets and preparation than initially planned.

Great short terms news though as it's lousy news for Putin. Assuming China just doesn't give him what he wants on the sly.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
If you're being held hostage and you agree not to call the police if they let you go, is that binding? Ukraine should be admitted into NATO the day after any extorted peace deal takes effect.

Protecting Ukraine from genocide is one thing.
Entry into NATO is another.

There will be extremism, terrorism, violence for decades to follow after this blood bath. I am not so sure we should guarantee absolute protection for a nation that has been so ruthlessly slaughtered. For they will be desperately hungry for Russian blood. Ours should be for the protection of life. To step in on a case by case basis, with no guarantee beforehand. To help us avoid encouraging them, if they wanted to do something reckless months and years from now.

We cannot let a thirst for vengeance drag us into any future wars with Russia. The measure of aggression and innocence should weigh on our every action. A rebuilt Ukraine would need to demonstrate that it can democratically function first, and make any necessary concessions to work towards a lasting peace. Absent that, I would not want to give guarantees to the hundreds of thousands who want to avenge loved ones.

Remember, very clearly, this is not over when a ceasefire begins.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

jfc horrible article

Yes, unlike in history, modern cities do not typically store vast quantities of food and water. Often they are supplied daily from external sources. Laying siege to a modern city basically means killing everyone inside. 400,000 people at risk here and in need of help. And that is just a single city, of a nation of 44 40 million.

We are watching genocide in Europe.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
"Drones" covers everything from remote piloted aircraft like the Predators at the high end, to anti-personnel Switchblade 300 at the low end (or even battlefield surveillance drones at very low end).

Best guess is the quote a couple posts up on it being mostly/entirely Switchblade 600's - up to 50 mile range, loitering suicide drone with advanced targeting capability - basically a javelin-lite warhead put into an aerial surveillance drone that is extremely difficult to shoot down & can be carried by a single soldier.

US marines are looking at the switchblade as a complete replacement for artillery warfare - making everything up to 120mm mortars for infantry obsolete.

Yup. Marines like things lightweight and flexible, that's for sure. I hope they do it. It's just really hard to argue against the results you get with good drones. Nagoro Karabakh was simmering for several decades. Azeri forces move in with TB2s, and others, and boom. Conflict over in 44 days.

Drones are going to get even better, and even cheaper, in the future. Replacing more cumbersome legacy systems could both increase lethality and drop costs. Use that money saved on better radios, man portable EW set ups, and defintely counter drone tech.

Atari2600

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2016
EXCEPT that due to current events an actual EU army is a certainty. Countries that have held back is holding back no more.. This is coming.

Doubtful.

Its very easy for them to present a united front when there is a clear and obvious "baddie".

But when Darth Vladimir is knocked off his perch, watch the splintering. As much due to different needs as different views.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I dont know, its almost like its the subset of NATO minus the US. And anywhere you want to dice it, all big things have small beginnings.
I have actually not seen the math on this, NATO-US vs Russia .. what does that equation look like?

Meh, the only two countries in the EU with a significant military are/were the Uk and France. Clearly the UK is the country you refer to as 'no longer holding us back', so that leaves France - that seems to prefer to use its military to pretend it still has an empire in Africa. And I have my doubts about the nations of the EU all allowing their soldiers to be ordered into battle by some consolidated EU commmand. Is an organisation that has huge rows about price supports for dairy-farmers or gay rights, really going to be able to fight wars as a single entity?

I wouldn't hold my breath for this "EU army" if I were you.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Meh, the only two countries in the EU with a significant military are/were the Uk and France. Clearly the UK is the country you refer to as 'no longer holding us back', so that leaves France - that seems to prefer to use its military to pretend it still has an empire in Africa. And I have my doubts about the nations of the EU all allowing their soldiers to be ordered into battle by some consolidated EU commmand. Is an organisation that has huge rows about price supports for dairy-farmers or gay rights, really going to be able to fight wars as a single entity?

I wouldn't hold my breath for this "EU army" if I were you.
You high?