Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 299 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
One zero zero? Really?
Vision Aerial is a small company (under 100 employees when I looked it up), so production output is still low. The 600 series is a much more capable drone with a max range of ~65km, which is pretty good standoff/loiter capability for such a small drone (launched from a small tripod supported mortar tube). While it only has am ~2.3 Kg payload for high explosives, precision is the name of the game - being able to precisely target vulnerable areas of larger systems like a SAMs or, for hunting for artillery positions and other HVTs (like command staff!). The smaller 300 series is used to take out vehicles, like trucks, AFAIK. This part all of a much larger delivery of arms:
Politico said:
The revelations come shortly after President Joe Biden announced the new $800 million in military assistance to Ukraine, which also includes 800 more Stinger anti-aircraft systems, 2,000 anti-armor Javelins, 1,000 light anti-armor weapons and 6,000 AT-4 anti-armor systems. The AT-4 is a lightweight recoilless rifle already used by American special operations forces.

We are also trying to source more S-300s from Slovakia :). Anyway great tools to send dead russians back as gift to Putin and his inner circle; and position Ukraine for the best possible negotiated outcomes.

Last edited:

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
If you're being held hostage and you agree not to call the police if they let you go, is that binding? Ukraine should be admitted into NATO the day after any extorted peace deal takes effect.

That probably wouldn't have a good effect on Russian public opinion. It would just make Putin seem more credible when he claims NATO and the West hates Russia. Seems to me that part of the problem has long been the West's determination to humiliate Russia and make maximum use of the country's weakness rather than encourage, and co-operate with, any progressive elements in the populace (which do seem to exist).

Atari2600

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2016
Russia never honors its agreements which is how we got to where we are right now. There's much speculation that they are stalling for time to regroup.

That, unfortunately, would be an opinion I would share.

If there were an agreed ceasefire - and I were in a position of influence in the Ukrainian military, I would be laying waste to the last mile of every railroad track that led to Russia or Belarus. Let them ducking walk home if they don't have fuel.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
100 Switchblades in the next round of US help. Just saw a video. Hand launchable like a wind up airplane, then detonates basically a Claymore round just shy of physical contact on the target. Handy.
That's a different weapons system - one that's no longer a front line weapon (old tech).

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I did mine. I dropped out of high school to enlist in the USMC and went to Vietnam for 22 months.
SHOULD we have been there? With what we learned later, nope...but we were.
Because I did...that gives me a pretty good insight to see ending troops into harm's way, and, IMO, with very few exceptions, that's something that should ONLY be done to protect OUR country

And as I have said numerous times, the US should stay out of it. You getting your hands dirty yet again on foreign soil is just bad optics in context of what we're trying to do. What are we trying to do? Promote freedom and democracy, so the gigantic success that was Iraq, Afghanistan, now you mention it, Vietnam, Korea... Maybe from an optics perspective you should sit this one out.
But lets get another thing motherfucking painfully clear about your message here

"that's something that should ONLY be done to protect OUR country"

That is some righteous America First Make America Great Again rhetoric right there. Mind you, I am not calling you out, you do you, but lets be fucking honest about what it is you're saying.

Ukraine is not my country either. Its quite a few countries over actually. So was Syria for that matter. My stance on that shit basket is the exact same as it is today with Ukraine.

But it's OK Boomer. You do you. You do you.

edit: I am old and overweight, I am out of shape and I am fucking embarrassed that I let my self slip so far into the comfort zone, not a day goes by where I am not contemplating "should I go"? .. But that is all horse shit in the face of not actually going. Excuses excuses. Fuck off. (I can only start the process of getting back into it and if this shit is still on fire 3-6 months from now, who knows.)

edit2: You did yours? Shut the fuck up self-pitying d bag. Duty is duty, buck up, get on that plane you lazy bum.

Last edited:

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Putin.... Trump....
Is there any difference? Really? Seriously?
Putin is the sitting dictator so we get to see what Putin would do. Trump may well become our sitting dictator in a few years, and then we will find out what Trump will do. But, we have a lot of clues already as to what dictator Trump would do, and especially since revelations from the Jan 6 commission. It's all laid out in black and white, every criminal act every deceitful scheme every retaliation in the planning.

I compare the two, the US and Ukraine, and the two leaders... one a dictator and the other poised to become a dictator.
Other than the bombs and destruction, there isn't really that much difference between what Ukraine is going thru and what America will be going thru soon enough. Maybe we will need some of those billions of dollars in aid to save our own ass right here at home, in the not so distant future.

I guess I am really surprised when the world is so shocked at what Putin has done yet few realize that we right here in the US came very very close to Donald Trump pulling pretty much the very same, minus the bombs... and even that is not a given.
Fear not so much for Ukraine, but fear for yourselves. 2024 is not that far away. And while Putin may have his military and his oligarchs behind him, Donald Trump has an entire political party behind him. Tell me once again, what really is the difference? Putin and Trump, both determined to overthrow a government.

Nov 17, 2019
Russia never honors its agreements which is how we got to where we are right now. There's much speculation that they are stalling for time to regroup.
Which would surprise no one, but regroup with what? Vlad's wandering around blind trying to find the rest of the pieces of his ass scattered all over Ukraine.

Reactions: dank69

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I did my time from 1986 to 1993 during the first gulf war. I had horrible eyesight so I was limited in the military MOS's that I could do, and my unit wasn't called up, and they were not taking Huey mechanics as the Blackhawk was being pressed into it's first real usage. But is that not good enough for you? Should I have made my own way over there to show how much gung ho I had?

Your difficulty in distinguishing between volunteerism and enlisted duty is unfortunate, though I do appreciate your service. Good enough for me? It's not about me, or you. I'd settle just for you lightening the fuck up Francis. People calling out tough guy talk covered in apathy is not a scathing indictment of your service, you get that right?

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Midterms and 2024 need to literally just be carpet-bombed nonstop clips of compromised Republicans speaking for themselves.

It's so hilarious to hear GQP traitors criticize Biden on 'not acting fast enough.' They worship and support Trump The Twice Impeached Traitor who said to hell with Ukraine's defenses, I'm going to extort political slime out of Zelenskyy to help my election chances.

Putin's cockholster did what he was told on sanctions and elsewhere, and 'no one was as tough to Putin as I was..."

lol, so then tell us traitor, where are your Russian sanctions then?

Edit: what fski said

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
But show a few videos of farm animals and dogs being abused, and holy hell do people come out of the woodwork with passion. Just my anecdotal experiences.
Most farm animals and pets don't hold political or social views we abhor. Except possibly for the orangutans. But don't worry, I'm keeping my eye on those sly red haired mofos. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: pcgeek11

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
If Russia stays in the Donbas, it's a cease fire, not a peace deal. It's not a stable equilibrium situation for the Ukraine. They might be better off with the Russians spread thin and logistically overextended as they are now than concentrated in Donbas.

• Haha
Reactions: iRONic

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
If Russia stays in the Donbas, it's a cease fire, not a peace deal. It's not a stable equilibrium situation for the Ukraine. They might be better off with the Russians spread thin and logistically overextended as they are now than concentrated in Donbas.
Yes, let Russia have a little break to regroup... and massive amounts of hardware and personnel flow into Ukraine meanwhile.