Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 298 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I think Putin needs to go...he'll just wait for a new opportunity and do something similar. With him still in power nothing will change in terms of relations with the west.
I'm not so sure Russia is itching to take on Ukraine again after this. Seems to me if Putin knew it would turn out this way he never would have done it and after this war Russia's smoking crater of an economy will be in no position to finance a large military buildup to make good their losses here.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Would joining the EU give the same protection against Russian aggression as NATO?

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
Would joining the EU give the same protection against Russian aggression as NATO?
In theory, legally, yes, with the exception that key members (US, UK) aren't in EU. In practice, not even close.
"...if an EU country is the victim of armed aggression on its territory, the other EU countries have an obligation to aid and assist it by all the means in their power"

Reactions: JTsyo and Number1

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
This is kind of heartbreaking:

Pets don't always deal well with such extreme upheavals in their lives. People also forget that animals are also victims in this war. Livestock have no clue what's going on and end up suffering and dying needlessly. The humanitarian crisis must be first and center but please keep in mind the innocent animals caught up in this violence.

I remember those commercials on television at night, asking to send money to save the children in Africa etc. and people quickly became immune to the message, even as far as complaining about them, rather than feeling sympathetic. But show a few videos of farm animals and dogs being abused, and holy hell do people come out of the woodwork with passion. Just my anecdotal experiences.

Reactions: Number1

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Do you actually trust the Russians to withdraw?

Or do you think they'll not use the break in hostilities to attempt resupply?

They lied about not going into Ukraine. Why would they not lie when they say they are getting out?

Of course, situation is terrible in some of the besieged areas. But if it sounds too good to be true....

Do I trust Putin? LOL. Of course not.

Either he does the ceasefire and verifiably pulls out or he doesn't in which case the Ukrainians should continue pasting these assholes with the all arms allied nations supply.

Reactions: Muse and UnklSnappy

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I remember those commercials on television at night, asking to send money to save the children in Africa etc. and people quickly became immune to the message, even as far as complaining about them, rather than feeling sympathetic. But show a few videos of farm animals and dogs being abused, and holy hell do people come out of the woodwork with passion. Just my anecdotal experiences.
The reason is simple:

animals can't file complaints about abuse or call 911 or have any ability to stop the horrors they may face. It takes a very cruel person to inflict abuse on a pet or farm animal and we all know that leads to harming people eventually.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
And when they tap the NG I am there.
And as I told someone else.. Fuck taxes, you like taxes so much, give them your money, leave mine alone.
You gotta realize its some fucked up bullshit to put forth? That you cant speak in favor of an armed response unless, checks notes, unless you're able to pick up that rifle yourself? Hey Boomer... By that definition your foreign policy is determined by those who is currently serving and noone else, ie. NOT YOU.
Apples. They good?
I did mine. I dropped out of high school to enlist in the USMC and went to Vietnam for 22 months.
SHOULD we have been there? With what we learned later, nope...but we were.
Because I did...that gives me a pretty good insight to see ending troops into harm's way, and, IMO, with very few exceptions, that's something that should ONLY be done to protect OUR country

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I think Putin needs to go...he'll just wait for a new opportunity and do something similar. With him still in power nothing will change in terms of relations with the west.

Can't really disagree. He's clearly, on some level, depending how you define the word, insane. That is to say, his view of the world is completely out-of-touch with reality. But how can he be removed? I just don't know the answer to that. There's very little evidence that sanctions, even when sustained for a long time, can topple despots. And trying to do an Iraq with Russia would be madder than he is. Can't see much alternative to 'containment' while waiting for him to pop his clogs from natural causes.

Reactions: dank69

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
I did mine. I dropped out of high school to enlist in the USMC and went to Vietnam for 22 months.
SHOULD we have been there? With what we learned later, nope...but we were.
Because I did...that gives me a pretty good insight to see ending troops into harm's way, and, IMO, with very few exceptions, that's something that should ONLY be done to protect OUR country

Confining Russia IS protecting your country.

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
Reactions: Muse and Number1

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
100 Switchblades in the next round of US help. Just saw a video. Hand launchable like a wind up airplane, then detonates basically a Claymore round just shy of physical contact on the target. Handy.