Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 279 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
I've always used it as two words in the past, but the single word version was not redlined in my spell check so I just left it. Not sure what the exact rules for usage are.

Life hack:
You should make sure you're right before correcting other people publicly.
You're welcome.

• Haha
Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005

If to be believed there's some headway in repelling on of the thrusts towards Kyiv from Sumy

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
How was Ukraine moving out of Russia's orbit? Genuinely interested.
Ukraine was/is trying to economically and politically integrate with Europe instead of Russia. This started when the Ukrainian revolution ousted Russia's client president, after which Russia almost immediately invaded. Russia laid low during Trump's presidency as Trump was already effectively acting as a client president to Putin as well when it came to this topic, but it looks like preparations for a larger invasion started very shortly after Trump lost.

This is about Russia's desire to dominate the countries around it, none of this nonsense about Ukraine building nukes or whatever. And come on, surely we all know by this point that Russia's government lies about literally everything. Their word is less than worthless.

amd6502

Apr 21, 2017
Nazis have staged loud and proud demonstrations on several occasions since Trump was first elected and have been waving their flags proudly at many right-wing events. The idea that they need to be armed with specific weaponry to qualify shows how weak your argument really is.

So I still haven't heard of anybody who actually knows of any Nazis, or the extent of their extremism. Or anyone that knows of anyone that does. I'm curious of this phenomenon. The only corner of the US I haven't lived in is the SE, though I did visit FL and Houston area several times, and I saw no trace of Nazis, or even KKK and such right wing extremists. There are quite a few posters on this thread. Surely somebody's gotta have personally experienced domestic Nazis or has a friend who has.

On the other hand in SE Ukraine there have been many families affected deeply, including having their friends, children, parents killed by Azovs shelling cities.

Has anyone fully listened to Putin's full speech on the demilitarization special operation, and afterwards actually believe that he doesn't care about the ethic Russians being murdered by the Azovs?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: iRONic

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Ukraine was/is trying to economically and politically integrate with Europe instead of Russia. This started when the Ukrainian revolution ousted Russia's client president, after which Russia almost immediately invaded. Russia laid low during Trump's presidency as Trump was already effectively acting as a client president to Putin as well when it came to this topic, but it looks like preparations for a larger invasion started very shortly after Trump lost.

This is about Russia's desire to dominate the countries around it, none of this nonsense about Ukraine building nukes or whatever. And come on, surely we all know by this point that Russia's government lies about literally everything. Their word is less than worthless.

I think it is a given that Putin was expecting Trump to withdraw from NATO during his second term, and that term never happened.

But yes, Putin wanted Ukraine to go the same as Belarus. A puppet dictatorship and Russian alliance.

Ukraine as a country overwhelmingly rejected that path and wanted EU membership.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Life hack:
You should make sure you're right before correcting other people publicly.
You're welcome.
I knew how to spell it. As I mentioned, I've always typed it as two words in the past. I replied to someone typing it as one word and since I didn't know for sure if that was wrong I kept it that way, just changing the incorrect letter. It was no longer redlined in spell check after the changed letter, so that indicated to me that maybe it can be one word. I was more concerned that the explanation he had was a non sequitur to his declaration that my post was a non sequitur. ;)

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
So I still haven't heard of anybody who actually knows of any Nazis, or the extent of their extremism. Or anyone that knows of anyone that does. I'm curious of this phenomenon. The only corner of the US I haven't lived in is the SE, though I did visit FL and Houston area several times, and I saw no trace of Nazis, or even KKK and such right wing extremists. There are quite a few posters on this thread. Surely somebody's gotta have personally experienced domestic Nazis or has a friend who has.
Ran into a guy when I was in SC a few years back at a diner, maybe mid 40's, shaved, with a myriad of German paraphernalia from that era. Not as blatant as swastikas and SS lapels, but close enough that you just 'knew'. I guess there's a possibility that he just thought it looked cool, but seemed unlikely. I didn't strike up a conversation.

As for KKK, there's a few active chapters around in the northeast, but they tend to keep to their own circles and me to mine, so the likelihood of actually encountering one is slim to none.

Reactions: amd6502 and Number1

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

On the other hand in SE Ukraine there have been many families affected deeply, including having their friends, children, parents killed by Azovs shelling cities.
You seem to be looking for anecdotal evidence, which is odd because anecdotal evidence is generally worthless. There are tons of videos of protests from the last 5 years where you can see Nazi flags waving high and proud. Remember Trump's "fine people on both sides" scandal referring to a literal Nazi march?

Has anyone fully listened to Putin's full speech on the demilitarization special operation, and afterwards actually believe that he doesn't care about the ethic Russians being murdered by the Azovs?
LOL

Nov 17, 2019
Well, how's that Vodka?

Anti-war protestor interrupts Russian-state broadcast shouting 'No War'

www.businessinsider.com.ico
Business Insider|14 minutes ago
The sign she carried bore the messages, "Don't believe the propaganda" and "They are lying to you here."

ccryder

Nov 20, 2008
T

This guy might be one.

• Wow
Reactions: Number1

amd6502

Apr 21, 2017
You seem to be looking for anecdotal evidence, which is odd because anecdotal evidence is generally worthless.

It's actually fairly valuable in many cases. Especially when you can make simple Fermi estimates. Eg, assuming you have a circle of acquaintances of 50 who have a circe of acquaintances over 50, that gives you a sample size over 2000; your innermost social network is really very capable; most people should not underestimate its use.

• Haha
Reactions: dank69 and iRONic

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

If your issue is the situation in SE Ukraine you should probably take your beef up with Russia as they created the situation through their invasion of Crimea in 2014 followed by their subsequent arming and support of separatists there.

Regardless, I think because you know your position is so weak you're trying to focus it on Nazis when again, the timeline obviously shows Russia's actions are due to Ukraine attempting to move away from client state status. Ukraine (correctly) realized economic and political alignment with Russia is a loser and tried to change course. Now Russia is trying to show them that NOT integrating with Russia is even worse because Russia will mount an armed invasion.

I think someone would have to be extremely gullible to think Putin gives a single solitary shit about them.

Also it's a bit odd that you would look at a speech like that, one filled with ludicrous lies (Ukraine is making nukes!), and decide this one part was actually true.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
It's actually fairly valuable in many cases. Especially when you can make simple Fermi estimates. Eg, assuming you have a circle of acquaintances of 50 who have a circe of acquaintances over 50, that gives you a sample size over 2000; your innermost social network is really very capable; most people should not underestimate its use.
This would be a poor way of using a Fermi estimate as your sample will be heavily biased because people tend to associate with those similar to them.

For example if I looked at my social circle as method to guess what percentage of Americans have a college degree I would end up with something over 80%. In reality it's less than half that. Similarly, as Nazis are ostracized in America I bet the average person doesn't know any, but if you know one chances are good you know more than one, potentially a LOT more.

Reactions: pmv

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

Again, Ukraine voted in a Jew as president with 73% of the vote.

Significant "Nazification" not found.

Reactions: tweaker2 and iRONic

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Ffs is China really going to go through with this?

Well, if the gear the Chinese is going to send to Putin anything like the Made in China sub-zero quality crap I get when I receive a free bonus gift with my Pop-Sci/Pop-Mech magazine subscriptions, then by all means send Putin that MIC tech. It'd be just as good as stabbing Putin in the back of his neck while mud packing him with extreme prejudice.

adamsleath

May 4, 2007

Seems consistent with past / present actions.

As for political rhetoric, people either swallow it or they don't. Anti Putin sentiments are harshly dealt with in Russia.

The joys of despotism. :-/

US Congress passed its 13b USD aid bill.
As for the NATO which iirc is dominated by us military contributions, it is your call.

Is not Russia a member of NATO? Ahh that's my misunderstanding. It never was. Since Crimea annexation, nato-russia relations worsened.

Last edited:

amd6502

Apr 21, 2017
This would be a poor way of using a Fermi estimate as your sample will be heavily biased because people tend to associate with those similar to them.

For example if I looked at my social circle as method to guess what percentage of Americans have a college degree I would end up with something over 80%. In reality it's less than half that. Similarly, as Nazis are ostracized in America I bet the average person doesn't know any, but if you know one chances are good you know more than one, potentially a LOT more.

True, in this case it's scewed. It might still get you in the right ballpark. And, as Osiris reported, you often can just bump into random people that aren't friends.

Ran into a guy when I was in SC a few years back at a diner, maybe mid 40's, shaved, with a myriad of German paraphernalia from that era. Not as blatant as swastikas and SS lapels, but close enough that you just 'knew'. I guess there's a possibility that he just thought it looked cool, but seemed unlikely. I didn't strike up a conversation.

As for KKK, there's a few active chapters around in the northeast, but they tend to keep to their own circles and me to mine, so the likelihood of actually encountering one is slim to none.

I think if there was a real Nazi problem in the US I would've come across some anecdotal trace of it, if not bumping across something myself at least through my circle of acquaintances.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001

If to be believed there's some headway in repelling on of the thrusts towards Kyiv from Sumy

Further down He retweets this:
~10% losses in KIA, wounded (and awol?). Again from the same source O Brian says if RU army strength drops below 75%, the Russian will be in a more desperate situation (my words - Twitter has decided I need to log in to scroll through a page).

Reactions: KMFJD

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Their creditors won't let them pay it off in Rubles or Yuan. They want dollars or Euros.

The point is that if they default, their credit is shot and they cannot borrow any more money. That is bad for them, especially right now.
(A) No money vs (B) Rubles converted into dollars. I'll take (B) please. It is a technical default either way.