Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 211 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Racan

Golden Member
Sep 22, 2012

If you're familiar with the above video and Dr. Phillip Karber, here's a new video which is IMO very interesting, where he talks about the current war:

One idea he bring up (starts at 1:08:03) is some sort of watered down no fly zone, a "refugee zone". l'm not sure though if that's much better in terms of avoiding direct combat with Russian forces.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Also big yikes for the Russian Air Force to be ordered on more low altitude support missions and Zelenskey telling the US congress he doesn't really need more FIM-92s right now.

• Haha
Reactions: dank69

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

I don't know if there's any truth to the charges, but...damn...you'd have to be pretty fucking stupid to try to smuggle drugs in/out of Russia, especially in light of the war. This is the kind of thing despots are known for...arrest a US citizen on trumped up charges, either as an in your face,"FUCK YOU," or as some kind of bargaining chip for negotiations.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007

I don't know if there's any truth to the charges, but...damn...you'd have to be pretty fucking stupid to try to smuggle drugs in/out of Russia, especially in light of the war. This is the kind of thing despots are known for...arrest a US citizen on trumped up charges, either as an in your face,"FUCK YOU," or as some kind of bargaining chip for negotiations.
I wouldn't put any credence to the charges unless the oil was planted. Possible, but my benefit of the doubt goes to her.

Reactions: dank69

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

My strong suspicion would be that she's been falsely detained.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009

Seriously, I cannot fathom any sentient non-Russian human being carrying illicit drugs on them in Russia.

Leymenaide

Feb 16, 2010
Poland (September 1939) was the last straw. It was war. For the US it was Pearl Harbor (December 1941).

Anybody lives near McGuire AFB/McGuire ?
I could see planes leaving it from my home when I lived in Marlton. After 911 it got real busy anybody notice a major uptick in traffic lately?

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
So what I took away from that is Tucker's fallback plan is racism and misogyny.
(My paraphrasing)
"We didn't take this seriously because Kamala Harris went to Europe and she's really more qualified to date Montel Williams"

Fuck that asshole. There's a special place in hell for him.

Hell called; it seems they've run out of room due to the ginormous increase in ass-holery of late.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Looks like the same thing we had back in the 1980's, they are pretty easy to use. IIRC you pop off the end caps, press a button to extend it open until it locks open, put it on your shoulder and aim and fire. Figuring out the elevation I suppose would be the most difficult thing, you don't want to miss so practice a few times would be good.

Edit: there Youtube videos showing how to use it lol.
So LAWS are still in use. Dirt cheap, and lethal to armor. No fire and forget though.

uallas5

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
Wonder how long they can sustain that loss rate before their operational air arm is annihilated? They probably have what, 200 operational Frontline aircraft? Keep that rate up and assume similar losses to maintenance/ accidents or planes that made it home but not recoverable and they're out of action in at most 3 months? Probably more like 1?

Well, no. They have something like 1200+ relatively modern fighters in inventory most with some ground attack abilities. Anything that's out for service or even effectively in storage can be made operational fairly fast. Shooting down planes costs them a lot of money but they can keep throwing planes at Ukraine for a long time if they don't mind what a NATO country would consider unacceptable attrition.

Also big yikes for the Russian Air Force to be ordered on more low altitude support missions and Zelenskey telling the US congress he doesn't really need more FIM-92s right now.

It is possible to have more MANPADS that you can effectively use, hard to say how many have been sent. More advanced systems or a no-fly would be of a lot more good to Ukraine, but those are both big asks.