Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 201 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
If Russia really entered into a war they had to win in 10 days or collapse they are even stupider than I thought.

Seems hard to believe, but I certainly hope it’s true.

Maybe they were counting on availability of all their foreign held reserves?

Grabo

Apr 5, 2005
Are there any reports, like anyplace that any of you have seen, of Ukrainian military using Ukrainian civilians as human shields? Vasily Nebenzya, Russia's envoy to the UN just repeated that Russian line and continued to compare the Ukrainian defence forces with IS. I mean, IS? The ..possibly lowest denominator of humanity? It could be western reporting bias of course but Vasily seems to either not be bothered with the truth whatsoever or is receiving very different intelligence

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
Are there any reports, like anyplace that any of you have seen, of Ukrainian military using Ukrainian civilians as human shields?
... Vasily seems to either not be bothered with the truth whatsoever or is receiving very different intelligence
Nyet to the first part.
Da & Da to the latter, almost certainly both are true for Vasily

Reactions: Grabo and hal2kilo

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
“Russian doctrine has an approach where what you do is you re-enforce success and you move on and isolate when you have failed.
“They have continued to re-enforce failure. Hammering away at the same objective, perhaps defined as madness.”

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Are there any reports, like anyplace that any of you have seen, of Ukrainian military using Ukrainian civilians as human shields? Vasily Nebenzya, Russia's envoy to the UN just repeated that Russian line and continued to compare the Ukrainian defence forces with IS. I mean, IS? The ..possibly lowest denominator of humanity? It could be western reporting bias of course but Vasily seems to either not be bothered with the truth whatsoever or is receiving very different intelligence
I don't respond directly to users in P&N, but use your eyes and some common fucking sense. JFHC.

You don't need to use people as human shields when the majority of them are willing to voluntarily die protecting their country from a mad man (who is sacrificing his people and the people of Ukraine for no justifiable reason).

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
Yes, but Turkey has kept supplying drones that are obliterating armored columns.
Rewriting warfare in the 21st century, and demonstrating a fraction of what we are capable of.
We should be careful in how we address them. Keeping them as an ally is a top priority.

And yes, I would have had a much harsher response had I not learned that their weapons turned the tide of the war.

They sold those drones, they didnt offer them as a help to Ukraine.
Also to point out that those drones performance are overstated, they are easily targeted and shoot down if the opposing army knows what to do.
Dont look at their success in conflicts like Libya and Armenia where AA capabilities were minimal.

This ally that you want to keep them as a top priority is playing a double game with both east and west, it is an unreliable ally that has already blocked NATO plans. Not to mentions its close relationship with Russia and the purchase of Russian S400 AA system.
Also this "ally" of yours is the only country in the world that has issued a WAR thread against another NATO country and putting NATOs eastern Mediterranean flank under pressure for decades.

Grabo

Apr 5, 2005
I don't respond directly to users in P&N, but use your eyes and some common fucking sense. JFHC.

I'm not sure whether aimed at Vasily or me given the first part of the sentence, but if me then I was merely curious since there are links a plenty from various places in this thread; and given how I related to Vasily's probable attachment to reality one might say I was using my eyes.

I hope you find a chill pill

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
In regards to Turkey and sanctions, they have been suffering from massive inflation and are pretty reliant on Russian energy imports.

Also, not all sanctions are the same

hM3thaF.jpg

Im sorry but this is BS,

Greece has been suffering from economic depression for over a decade now and we were from the first countries to impose economic sanctions on Russia and provide weapons and medical help to Ukraine. We are also very reliant on Russian natural gas , as is the entire Europe.

No, Turkey wants to have the cake and eat it too and that is not what a NATO ally would do.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
I will be very interested to learn the reasons behind this someday. As far as I am aware the Russian air force was supposed to be massively quantitatively and qualitatively superior to that of Ukraine but they are not operating that way.
How close are their airbases to Ukraine? And what is the operational range of the fighters. Could be a problem.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
If Russia really entered into a war they had to win in 10 days or collapse they are even stupider than I thought.

Seems hard to believe, but I certainly hope it’s true.
They probably were counting on capturing at least a city or two and being able to set up FOBs there, utilizing local resources as well as the (not blown up) stuff they brought in from Russia. Ukraine's probably eliminated 75%+ of their supply lines, or at least inhibited from getting to destination.

adamsleath

May 4, 2007
much good it will do him while sanctions are effective. assuming they remain.

===
update, but an op ed really with bias and conjecture.

Ukraine does have some air capability, and has been using powerful Turkish-made drones to destroy other Russian convoys. But according to Gen Barrons, Kyiv simply does not have the military force necessary to destroy a column of this size.
"They've been good at attacking the convoy from the front and sides," he said, but any damage inflicted from the air would be too localised.
Russia will also have air defences around the convoy which could bring down Ukrainian targets, Gen Barrons added. So an air attack on the convoy would risk losing more of Ukraine's already limited air force.

Some commentators have suggested that Nato should consider destroying the convoy, but that would be a major escalation which would risk war between two nuclear powers.
Western governments have said repeatedly that they have no intention of getting directly involved in the conflict.
lol
====
Ukraine's probably eliminated 75%+ of their supply lines
information source?

Last edited:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I'm not sure whether aimed at Vasily or me given the first part of the sentence, but if me then I was merely curious since there are links a plenty from various places in this thread; and given how I related to Vasily's probable attachment to reality one might say I was using my eyes.

I hope you find a chill pill
I quoted you didn't I?

It seems pretty fucking obvious who I was calling out for their stupid comment.

• Haha
Reactions: nicalandia

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Lies. Just consider that 90% of the stuff coming from Putin and his lackey’s are lies. That’s their modus operandi. Then they do everything they can to spread their disinformation far and wide.

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
Lies. Just consider that 90% of the stuff coming from Putin and his lackey’s are lies. That’s their modus operandi. Then they do everything they can to spread their disinformation far and wide.
Example of how broadly and deeply Putin has spread disinformation in Russia. Given how effective he was in the US with using only a portion of the market, not surprising how effective it is with 100% control of media in Russia.

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
I will be very interested to learn the reasons behind this someday. As far as I am aware the Russian air force was supposed to be massively quantitatively and qualitatively superior to that of Ukraine but they are not operating that way.

Russian stocks of PGM’s are essentially notational, they can make them but due to cost they don’t have a lot and basically don’t use them. Even in the west a midrange PGM can be $50000 and we make them in bulk.

Without PGM’s you have to fly low to make hits, low, relatively slow, in thick air that makes manoeuvre hard. So, ideal conditions to use MANPADS which Ukraine is bristling with.

Even a low end fighter bomber is 50 million to replace these days.

Pretty bad trade to drop dumb bombs on Ukrainian positions and lose planes and pilots.

Reactions: Ajay