Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 96 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Bank de-risking even beyond what the sanctions prohibit is a real danger for Russia. When people are saying the bank sanctions are potentially worse than a SWIFT lockout this is what they mean.

Ive read that too, My understanding is a SWIFT lockout would require a counsel decision by members of SWIFT.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
I'm not sure Putin thought this through very well. A force of ~190k can certainly defeat Ukraine militarily, but it's nowhere near enough to hold onto it. If he was expecting to waltz in there, win in a few days/weeks, and be seen as a liberator of some sorts that was embraced by the remaining population, he's not a very smart guy.
Gee, that seems awfully familiar. Where else have I heard of that type of tactic and problem?
1645804610676.png

Leymenaide

Feb 16, 2010
Countries of Europe could let ex service members, national guard members go take part in the resistance- without repercussions when/if they come home.
I would be very surprised if this was not already happening. Every time I ask in Poland if it is happening, I get a blank response.

• Love
Reactions: cytg111

Grabo

Apr 5, 2005
I caught this earlier in the day
On Friday afternoon, Russia's defence ministry announced it had captured the Antonov airport, using 200 helicopters and a landing force in order to take the base to the north of Kyiv from Ukraine.

..Is that military propaganda or actually two_hundred helicopters to attack a single site? I don't know if Sweden has 200 helicopters

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I think the non-military response from the west has largely been quite good, so far. A unified response.

I wonder if it would have been as coordinated under Trump, or a helter skelter mess as I suspect. Probably wouldn't have even levied half the sanctions so far.

Oh wait, I forgot, Trump would have "projected strength" and prevented this altogether.

He may just be too useful an idiot for Putin to take such a risk of the US not supporting Trump in the face of Ukrainian invasion.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Ive read that too, My understanding is a SWIFT lockout would require a counsel decision by members of SWIFT.

Yes, my understanding is that it can't be unilateral though the US can influence others to agree.

Europe has so far resisted this option but there are indications they could be changing their minds as the battle for Kyiv intensifies.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I caught this earlier in the day

..Is that military propaganda or actually two_hundred helicopters to attack a single site? I don't know if Sweden has 200 helicopters
Yeah... that's the kind of force you send when you absolutely need the target this time, because the last attempt failed. Probably much more of an overcommit than Putin wanted. Pity they didn't have any surprises available to take a chunk of those out.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Armageddon it is. Fuck the CCP.

If only Americans...and the rest of the world would stop buying Chinese made everything... (notice the 2001 date)

ata.sized.jpg

Reactions: nakedfrog

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

From what we've seen I'm doubtful that Ukrainians will lose their resolve. I am also sure that the West will seek to tactically inform Ukrainians. They are not stupid and know Putin's playbook. So far all there has been is a giant middle finger to Putin. A lot more will need to happen for Russian disinformation to change this response.

Reactions: Roger Wilco