Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 858 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Interview with the man who predicted this war:

How do you feel about the fact that he said world leaders almost never lie to each other and then when confronted with Hitler he was basically like ‘oops’?

I imagine you will never answer this because you’re not an honest person but if you actually give a shit you should wonder why he thought something so dumb.

RnR_au

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2021
Yeah? Nay? Vlad Kaboom his own stuff?

Lithuanian PM: Apparent drone attack in Russia could be a 'false flag'

www.nbcnews.com.ico
NBC News|24 minutes ago
Lithuanian Prime Minister Ingrida Simonyte called the apparent drone attack in Russia difficult to confirm.
Doubt it was a false flag attack by Putin. The notion that Ukrainians can outsmart the Russian military has very little political upside to it.

But perhaps there is scope for considering the attack was done by a non-Putin Russian faction. Destabilise Putin = one more step in removing him from political power.

Reactions: Number1 and Leeea

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
Pleased to see you watched the interview. And he absolutely DID predict this war! Here’s a lecture he did back in 2015:

Watch that one too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no doubt that Mearsheimer has consistently been a useful idiot for Russia. You don’t have to keep pressing that case.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
There is no doubt that Mearsheimer has consistently been a useful idiot for Russia. You don’t have to keep pressing that case.
Yeah. I briefly thought he made some good points (comments from the beginning of this thread). Then I realized he was just using a few truths to sell a lie.

Young Grasshopper

Nov 9, 2007
This guy is so full of it. NATO only goes in at the REQUEST of interested countries and so far, no NATO country have been invaded. No wonder UA wanted to join.

Russia has nukes, it can't be invaded.

NATO only goes into countries that they are invited into? Don’t tell Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya or Syria that.

And why would NATO accept Ukraine into NATO when then NATO can just use Ukrainian troops to fight Russia? Do I need to post the Adam Schaffer quote again?

Get it now? There is no incentive to bring Ukraine into NATO when they can just use Ukraines troops to fight Russia. Keep that NATO dream alive though.

Young Grasshopper

Nov 9, 2007
How do you feel about the fact that he said world leaders almost never lie to each other and then when confronted with Hitler he was basically like ‘oops’?

I imagine you will never answer this because you’re not an honest person but if you actually give a shit you should wonder why he thought something so dumb.

Just because he is wrong on one thing doesn’t mean he is wrong on 99% of everything else he said. No one is perfect and he certainly isn’t, but the vast majority of his knowledge on this particular conflict is spot on.

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
Yeah. I briefly thought he made some good points (comments from the beginning of this thread). Then I realized he was just using a few truths to sell a lie.

I know he likes to pitch himself as just a guy explaining what’s going on, and he might even honestly believe that, but I kinda doubt it.

He’s not actually a complete idiot, you can see he’s trying to avoid the traps in the interview fski posted. He doesn’t want to outright be the guy making excuses for fascists. He dresses up his arguments fairly well, but in the end he is selling some big lies that fall apart rather quickly.

1) The best source of Putin’s thoughts is to selectively pick his public statements that favour my arguments and disregard the rest. It’s best to disregard what he’s actually doing, words are what matters (and only some of them.)

2) Putin is terrified of NATO invading Russia so he decided to give any country on the fence about NATO the best possible justification ever, and spur on the biggest arms race in Europe since the 40’s. He also gave an organisation that was drifting apart and somewhat losing its way a clear common enemy. We also have to accept that Putin either selectively forgets about nuclear deterrence or doesn’t really believe in it, despite making huge investments into it.

There are more, but those are some of the ones that no one who is willing to think about it more than not at all should identify very quickly.

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
NATO only goes into countries that they are invited into? Don’t tell Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya or Syria that.

Iraq - ???
Afghanistan - There to assist the Afghan Government.
Libya - Limited intervention from the air, and a low point in terms of NATO decisions.
Syria - ???

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Just because he is wrong on one thing doesn’t mean he is wrong on 99% of everything else he said. No one is perfect and he certainly isn’t, but the vast majority of his knowledge on this particular conflict is spot on.

Great. So if we are talking about this you said the US intervention in Syria was terrible so I presume you feel the Russian invasion of Ukraine is equally terrible or worse.

Can you confirm?

Edit: I assume I’m the only person in this thread who has actually met John Meascheimer. This does not mean I’m right, but I suspect the tankie has never talked to the guy he references.

Reactions: Meghan54 and Leeea

Young Grasshopper

Nov 9, 2007
Great. So if we are talking about this you said the US intervention in Syria was terrible so I presume you feel the Russian invasion of Ukraine is equally terrible or worse.

Can you confirm?

The difference between Ukraine and Syria is Russia sees the Ukrainian government as a national security threat due to the flood of arms that NATO has sent over the past 8 years, which have been happily accept by Kiev. From Russia’s perspective, when your neighbor is actively importing arms from a country/coalition like NATO, a coalition that has a history of invading multiple countries like Afghanistan/Iraq/Syria, can’t say I blame him for thinking this.

Also during the Cuban missle crisis, we nearly went to war with Russia because we caught them putting weapons not in Mexico, not in Canada, but in Cuba, which is separated by a body of water. BTW, they only put this weapons in place as a response to NATO putting missile silos in Turkey.

Remind me again what Syria has done to the US? What did Iraq do? You see the problem here? We invade countries for bullshit reasons like enriching the military industrial complex, or stealing natural resources. Halliburton for example was given $40 billion in contracts once Saddam was ousted.

Reactions: whyitso

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
The UA pounding the Russian positions:

Reports are that UA has reinforced Bakhmut, if I had to guess, at least some forces that captured Kherson are now arriving to give the Russians hell.
The additional artillery is no doubt there to blunt what remained Russia's last bit of strength.

This isn't even to say Bakhmut is safe from capture. It just means Ukraine is going to ensure a hell of a lot of dead Russians in exchange.

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
NATO, a coalition that has a history of invading multiple countries like Afghanistan/Iraq/Syria, can’t say I blame him for thinking this.

You can’t blame him for thinking that about invasions that never happened?

You shoulda left Libya in there so you’d be 0.5/4 instead of 0/3.

• Haha
Reactions: Ajay

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The difference between Ukraine and Syria is Russia sees the Ukrainian government as a national security threat due to the flood of arms that NATO has sent over the past 8 years, which have been happily accept by Kiev. From Russia’s perspective, when your neighbor is actively importing arms from a country/coalition like NATO, a coalition that has a history of invading multiple countries like Afghanistan/Iraq/Syria, can’t say I blame him for thinking this.

Also during the Cuban missle crisis, we nearly went to war with Russia because we caught them putting weapons not in Mexico, not in Canada, but in Cuba, which is separated by a body of water. BTW, they only put this weapons in place as a response to NATO putting missile silos in Turkey.

Remind me again what Syria has done to the US? What did Iraq do? You see the problem here? We invade countries for bullshit reasons like enriching the military industrial complex, or stealing natural resources. Halliburton for example was given $40 billion in contracts once Saddam was ousted.

Just looking for a basic answer here. We both agree that invading other countries is bad, right?

Reactions: Drach

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Documented war crimes reach 24,000 and climbing:
The United States and more 40 other countries agreed on Thursday to coordinate investigations into suspected war crimes in Ukraine
With some 24,000 war crimes investigations now open and different countries heading teams, evidence needs to be credible and organised, officials said.

Drach

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2022
nah, Hungary is confused, but they wouldn't do this.

Hungary is a victum of a psyop operation, not the originator.
Negative. Hungary is just as fascist as Russia.

Last edited: