Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 751 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
What is an E-6 ?

Yes. When the wire is deployed there are depth, speed and angle limits in order to maintain communications.

I have seen many wires get cut by the screw when an inexperienced diving officer had too much down angle and the wire gets too close. Speed and depth will cause the wire to submerge and a break in communication.
I guess the E-6 was after you: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_E-6_Mercury

It has a half mile or more long antenna that trails it for low frequency comms.

I understand there are speed limits when towing the antenna, I just don't see how going slow vs fast makes any difference in "funness" for the crew. I'd think 5 and 30 would feel the same underwater.

Reactions: pcgeek11 and Leeea

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
Probably the wrong thread for this but I feel the afghanistan withdrawal not matter how ugly was like getting out from under a collapsed building.

We can breathe and react to our national security threats now.

It's obvious Russia will never be our friend. China seems hellbent on allying with Russia since they see us as a threat and Saudi Arabia is cosying up to Russia.

We're going to have to find some allies we can rely on to not be passengers in a Russian and Chinese dominated world.

NATO seems like a natural ally and whatever our grievances.. the threat of Russia and China seems to have refreshed our resolve to stick together.

Going to need to wean ourselves if we can off foreign oil (atleast Saudi oil). I think UAE and Qatar voted with us (but I'm not sure) and were likely overruled by the whole cartel.

Would not surprise me if we start thinking of Saudi Arabia as a legitimate target to destroy. Probably not what the anti-war people want to hear but a hell of a lot more important than staying in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Reactions: Thump553

RnR_au

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2021
A couple of interesting points from the summary of Arestovych and Feygin daily broadcast;
  • Stremousov, a 🇷🇺 propagandist and minor political figure in 🇷🇺, is openly calling for the execution of Shoigu, the 🇷🇺 Minister of Defence, for the military failure in 🇺🇦. The fact that Stremousov was allowed to say it & didn’t suffer any negative consequences after publicly attacking the 🇷🇺 Ministry of Defence shows that the search for a scapegoat & infighting in 🇷🇺 continues.
  • Putin always posed himself as a progressive 🇷🇺 leader. Yet, just like with Kadaffi at the end of his regime, there is a disconnect between Putin’s worldview, the present and the 🇷🇺 youth. Putin does not only understand the 🇷🇺 populace, especially the young people, but has nothing to offer to the 🇷🇺.

Similarly, 🇷🇺 people born after the fall of the USSR, cannot understand the resentment of the older generation for the fall of the USSR. The 🇷🇺 younger generation cannot understand why 🇷🇺 has a problem with 🇺🇦 and why they should die in the war against 🇺🇦.
From https://wartranslated.com/day-226-october-7th-summary-of-arestovych-and-feygin-daily-broadcast/

Reactions: Muse

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Would not surprise me if we start thinking of Saudi Arabia as a legitimate target to destroy. Probably not what the anti-war people want to hear but a hell of a lot more important than staying in Afghanistan and Iraq.
That is madness.

The Saudi princes may be our enemies*, but everyone loses in war. We do not share values with the people of Saudi Arabia. They would not want us to intervene. Lets win the peace instead.

In Ukraine the war has already started, peace is no longer an option. The people of Ukraine share our values, and we should stand with them. War has come and there is no avoiding it. We did not start it, but we can help end it. And snuff out the next one before it starts by showing Russia the futility of imperialism and genocide.

But in Saudi Arabia war has not come, and starting one is madness.

*and yes, they are enemies:
enemies of democracy
enemies of freedom
allied with totalitarianism and fascism
They need to be declared as such. Saudi oil needs to be sanctioned.

Last edited:

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I guess the E-6 was after you: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_E-6_Mercury

It has a half mile or more long antenna that trails it for low frequency comms.

I understand there are speed limits when towing the antenna, I just don't see how going slow vs fast makes any difference in "funness" for the crew. I'd think 5 and 30 would feel the same underwater.

5 knots is like sitting in your living room.
30 knots is like going down a rough road in a bus.

You go slow and not too deep as it makes it easier to meet the parameters for firing missiles faster if EAMs ae received. There isn't any or many drills when you are alert in your target area. The days are long and boring.

Have to be less than 5 knots XXX feet and in Hover Mode for depth Control. You don't want to break off the missile half out of the tube. That would suck.

Last edited:

RnR_au

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2021
Pressure mounts on the Germans;

The European Union has passed a sweeping, but non-binding resolution condemning Russia’s ongoing war in Ukraine that, among many other items, calls on member states to begin the transfer of Leopard main battle tanks to the Ukrainian Army and training troops in their use immediately.
Deep in the document is a call to “coordinate weapons deliveries … of advanced weapons systems such as Leopard tanks,” and it “calls on the Member States to immediately start training Ukrainian soldiers in this regard.”
From https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zo...ropean-vote-calls-for-providing-leopard-tanks

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Immediate ceasefire, to give Russia everything it publicly stated it wants.
No, but you are free to think that if you want to.

Well, Russia obviously wants the entirety of Ukraine... but for PR purposes they feign a smaller agenda while militarily attempting to reach the polish border.

Let's examine what Musk stated.
  1. Crimea recognized as Russia.
  2. All four regions "voting".
  3. Ukraine forced into no security pact.
Russia wants its land grab legitimized, and for Ukraine to be weak and vulnerable to future attacks. Musk proposed just that. In exact words to that effect. Russia will NEVER allow a vote they did not control, and even if one did occur by the UN... Russia has displaced / killed enough people that no vote can be legitimate. This is stolen land seize by Russia, plain and simple. Any peace deal to legitimize this is everything Russia currently claims to want.

Musk is telling Ukraine to surrender - at a time when Ukraine is winning.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Well, after looking into things I do feel a little better about the 'wipe them out in a 3min window' idea, post Putin using a nuke. The six Russian subs of the Black Sea fleet are all attack boats. Torpedoes and cruise missiles, no ICBMs involved. Yes they could have nuclear cruise missiles but then that narrows down where they can deploy from.

Knowing the state of Russian morale I think they are just as likely to hide or surrender rather than fight. Those are basically slightly modified Kilos, so Russian style reliability and safety may shorten that 45 day endurance rating I bet. They can't even get spare parts for trains, I'm guessing sub fleet maintenance is all kinds of fun, inspires loads of confidence throughout the ranks. Turkish subs are looking for them, maybe others.

Last edited:

RnR_au

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2021
Going to need to wean ourselves if we can off foreign oil (atleast Saudi oil). I think UAE and Qatar voted with us (but I'm not sure) and were likely overruled by the whole cartel.

Help wean the world off oil and Saudi Arabia's power flows away. No need to destroy a country militarily when you can do it economically.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Nevermind. I see you mean the Diesel / Electric Submarines. That explains the 45 days.

Maybe they will get a saltwater leak into the battery well. :oops:

Reactions: Leeea

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Help wean the world off oil and Saudi Arabia's power flows away. No need to destroy a country militarily when you can do it economically.

That. Let a popular uprising get rid of a fundie monarchy in the process. Russia probably won't exist by then, so no support there MBS. We'll let you guys know if we need any sand. No disrespect to Qatar and the al Thani, they might be wahabi uptights, but at least they're not Sa'udi. Plus they do NG mostly now, that's handy to Europe and so are their connections with Tehran.

But hey, funny joke for all you peoples

ZnSVngh.png

Last edited:

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
Well, Russia obviously wants the entirety of Ukraine... but for PR purposes they feign a smaller agenda while militarily attempting to reach the polish border.

Let's examine what Musk stated.
  1. Crimea recognized as Russia.
  2. All four regions "voting".
  3. Ukraine forced into no security pact.
Russia wants its land grab legitimized, and for Ukraine to be weak and vulnerable to future attacks. Musk proposed just that. In exact words to that effect. Russia will NEVER allow a vote they did not control, and even if one did occur by the UN... Russia has displaced / killed enough people that no vote can be legitimate. This is stolen land seize by Russia, plain and simple. Any peace deal to legitimize this is everything Russia currently claims to want.

Musk is telling Ukraine to surrender - at a time when Ukraine is winning.

Musk is concerned about further escalation of the war resulting in nuclear Armageddon. A lot of people share Musk's same concern about how much further this will escalate and how quickly things could escalate if Russia detonates a nuke against Ukraine. How much are you willing to risk in a possible nuclear exchange for Ukraine liberating Crimea?

The possibility of this escalating into a full scale nuclear conflict is a legitimate concern. I have this same concern. What is the off ramp for this conflict?
Screenshot 2022-10-07 191956.jpg

“We have not faced the prospect of Armageddon since Kennedy and the Cuban Missile Crisis,” Mr. Biden said at a Democratic fundraiser on Thursday night, suggesting that Mr. Putin could take that step “because his military is—you might say—significantly underperforming.”

Mr. Biden added: “I’m trying to figure out what is Putin’s off-ramp?...Where does he find a way out? Where does he find himself in a position that he does not not only lose face, but lose significant power within Russia?”

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
I am concerned about a nuclear power being given the freedom to just invade and take territory from others because they have nukes.

I live near a large target in the greater SF area, I am dead at the first exchange. So what? At a certain point you need to put your life on the line and feed the tree of liberty.

I am not saying first strike. I am saying don’t back down because of the threat. That is not MAD.

RnR_au

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2021
Last edited: