Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 723 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
British and American spies believe there is 'credible intelligence' to suggest the Russian president is preparing an attack that will turn the war effort in his favour after coming to the realisation that the war was 'a colossal mistake'...

Putin is understood to be planning land-grab of four regions said to have voted overwhelmingly to join Russia after sham referendums in which residents were marched to the ballot box at gunpoint...

But there is concern that Putin is planning a nuclear attack west of the regions that would create a radiation dead zone and put a halt to Ukraine's so far successful counter-offensives...

RnR_au

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2021
But there is concern that Putin is planning a nuclear attack west of the regions that would create a radiation dead zone and put a halt to Ukraine's so far successful counter-offensives...
No concern at all. The Kremlin knows what would happen if they nuked Ukraine (or anywhere else). He would still lose the 4 regions.

Reactions: Leeea

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
British and American spies believe there is 'credible intelligence' to suggest the Russian president is preparing an attack that will turn the war effort in his favour after coming to the realisation that the war was 'a colossal mistake'...

Putin is understood to be planning land-grab of four regions said to have voted overwhelmingly to join Russia after sham referendums in which residents were marched to the ballot box at gunpoint...

That he thinks will turn the war effort in his favour.

He still thinks he can scare the west off and claim victory over an isolated Ukraine.

I cannot see using battlefield or strategic nukes accomplishing that. The Russian army isn’t mobile or well equipped enough to exploit battlefield nukes. Nuking Kyiv wouldn’t stop the Ukrainian war effort.

I think he’s continuing to miscalculate western resolve. Use of nukes would likely bring western military might to bear against him directly, I’m not sure exactly what the western reply would be, but it won’t be good. It would also cleave off most/all of his allies. I can’t think of any country that would want to normalise the use nuclear weapons in an offensive role.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

Yep, here comes the stupid…
Radiation dead zone. This cant be allowed to happen.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
So Rus is Sus?
pdDxImt.jpeg

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I am inclined to believe the Russians did it, but it still seems murky as to what the purpose of doing so was. It's been reported the explosion occured just barely outside of Danish territorial waters - implying someone was being careful not to be seen as directly attacking a NATO country?
"Sending a message" is a possible explanation, but it seems a slightly obscure message. Seems more plausible to me that it's just an alternative to constantly halting deliveries on the pretext of 'maintenance work'. Or could it actually have been accidental after all?
Accidental in two disparate places? What's the likelihood of that? :rolleyes: In recent history dual simultaneous different locations terrorism has been a hallmark of Islamic terrorism but I wouldn't think that's likely here. But that calling card can be duplicated. Whoever did this didn't want the intentionality of this to go unnoticed. I saw it said (here?) that investigations will reveal the perp. I don't know if that's true.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I don't see how a meaningful ultimatum can happen. Nothing's changed really, this is all just bogus theater and everybody knows it.

We are the audience.
Ukraine exists by our supplies. We've told Ukraine they cannot attack Russia with our advanced weapons.
So Putin claims Ukraine is Russia.
It's a child's move.

HOWEVER, there is a remote possibility, however... small?... that western opposition groups rally behind an anti war sentiment and campaign to stop us from antagonizing Putin or some !@#$. It technically helps "scare" the west. I said scare, but my feeling is it emboldens our traitors. Gives them another talking point of "we better not attack Russia" after Russia colonizes Europe. Perhaps, now losing, Putin wants to end the war with these territories. Before Ukraine marches all the way to Moscow, Putin will want to sue for peace on these terms.

Given the wide-scale torture, rape, and murder Russia has committed. We must accept nothing less than the entire restoration of Ukraine.
The punishment for this Genocide must be that we erase Russia's gains from 2014. So long as Ukraine is willing to fight for it, we need to make it happen.

Reactions: Leeea and Muse

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
We are the audience.
Ukraine exists by our supplies. We've told Ukraine they cannot attack Russia with our advanced weapons.
So Putin claims Ukraine is Russia.
It's a child's move.

They already tried this with Crimea. We said "Nope, thats Ukraine".

I expect we'll get some more atomic bluster though.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
It's hard to convince fatalists that their choices have weight.
Recent events in the USA notwithstanding, Russia's governments have been much less stable for the last 100+ years. The Kremlin can crumble.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Reactions: Leeea and cytg111

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
Until Luka actually DOES something I remain skeptical of Belarus entry into the war. Ukraine has fortified its border as insurance however.

Belarus might be better off in the long term by joining Ukraine. I'm not sure what their public sentiment is on Russia vs Ukraine. People I know from Belarus readily admit that it is a puppet of Russia but they are actually OK with that.

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
Reports in recent weeks are that Belarus was inspecting and repairing Russian rail lines. The sort you use to move an invasion force.
Likely related then....

Ukraine calls emergency meeting of security, defence chiefs

If Belarus attacks Ukraine, NATO needs to attack Belarus. We cannot allow this.

NATO will not attack Belarus. Ukraine is not a member of NATO and Belarus is part of the self defense group with Russia. It is the same reason why there are not NATO troops in Ukraine.