Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 711 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
I swear, post anything that is not about Ukraine racing to Moscow and Putin dying of super STD and cancer and there will be a complaint.
For the record, I frequently like your posts because I "like" them. I find your more glum view point to be informative, even when I disagree with you :).

In other words, please keep posting. It is important to have someone bring us a bit closer to reality.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I have been posting here since the forum started and internet tough guys did not scare me then and they do not now.

Your time here is completely irrelevant. There are no "internet tough guys here trying to scare you" - you're being asked to get that self-pity dick out of your mouth. You are not being victimized here, you are embarrassing yourself by complaining about objectivity that you yourself don't possess.

There is zero pro Russian content in my post(s). I don’t have to post fantasy posts like the ghost of Kyiv shooting down the entire Russian Air Force to be pro Ukraine.

The example I gave earlier says otherwise, as do some of your previous posts. Do you require direct links? Forget adding more straw to your pity party, provide some links where you've been lambasted here over not being sufficiently anti Putin. This should be easy to do for someone so incensed over it. Maybe I missed something, it happens. Prove me wrong by supporting your statement.

As I have said before, my mother is Ukrainian and I am anything but pro Russian. So you can take that accusation and stick it up your obviously overly tight ass.

That doesn't mean anything, Ukraine has it's own version of magats and pro Russia trolls. Your anecdotes != credibility. As I have said before, it's hard to take you seriously given your posts. And it wasn't an accusation - it was a request. One which I'll repeat; please grow the fuck up or go find a safer space for your feels.

Last edited:

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
Looks like it was a productive weekend for Ukrainian defenders.

12 Russian planes and 8 drones from Iran knocked out

Hrmmmm, did NASAMS get to stretch it's legs? Kinda sounds like it. However many they have now, we should quadruple it.
Oddly enough, that is exactly what has been announced...

They are supposed to have 2 batteries on the ground shortly (possibly already there), which will be going up to at least 8 total (from the US public announcements).

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
To be clear, because nuance seems beyond you, is that I don't think your consistently negative interpretations of the war from Ukraine's perspective is really at issue--a more sobering, tempered analysis I think is appreciated, even if people just want to hear only positive news, even if negative perspectives can be annoying.

That's not really the issue.

The issue is your fucking arrogance that "only you!" know what is actually going on. Only you have access to the "only real sources." You're sitting here arguing that everyone else is using fake twitter and twitter in general to get their information, while in the same sentence you hail your own use of Twitter as somehow relevant.

You aren't special. I don't know if it's a lack of....progress in education during your lifetime or whatever, but sitting here and declaring your "Secret sourcing" to be perfect and handwaving away rebuffs about your lack of sourcing with "I don't have to link them every time" is completely useless. You probably have an inability to think outside of yourself, so you assume only you are right and no one deserves access to your secret knowledge. This is your arrogance and everyone sees it. It doesn't matter what you think about that, because it is the truth

Until you accept the plain fact that what you think doesn't matter to anyone else, you will continue to be challenged about your information and your constant Debbie Downer analysis.

Now you will get mad at me and claim you are brilliant anyway because somehow "posting on the internet for a great number of years" gives you some sort of credibility for anything. No one cares. In this case, what you are here is only what anyone sees of you. Do you understand that this is how you present yourself?

Projecting much?

It is my posting style which has not changed since the wounded monitor days.

Just because I don’t kiss the ass of every damned poster does not mean that I think I have the secret line to the kremlin and whatever the hell is the same for Ukraine (now I have to go look that up).

I just post my opinion and what I think others might want to see.

yiu can go back to imagining that every AK that Russia hands to a draftee is a rusted wreck and that they don’t have a reasonable number of recent conscripts or experienced troops that they can’t rush to the front lines right when rainy season is starting and any more territory to be taken is at a huge premium because of mud.

Me? I will post what I think about what is going on and ignore the every AK is rusted threads.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Oddly enough, that is exactly what has been announced...

They are supposed to have 2 batteries on the ground shortly (possibly already there), which will be going up to at least 8 total (from the US public announcements).

*looks around hopefully* *crosses fingers*

Man, wouldn't it be great if Putin, leaving his mud bath, suddenly slipped and fell out of a window?

Reactions: Leeea

Tsinni Dave

Mar 1, 2022
Looks like it was a productive weekend for Ukrainian defenders.

12 Russian planes and 8 drones from Iran knocked out

Hrmmmm, did NASAMS get to stretch it's legs? Kinda sounds like it. However many they have now, we should quadruple it.
Four planes and eight drones were taken down. The headline was a little misleading but still a valuable weekend. Can't just drag those off the street and conscript them.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Projecting much?

It is my posting style which has not changed since the wounded monitor days.

Just because I don’t kiss the ass of every damned poster does not mean that I think I have the secret line to the kremlin and whatever the hell is the same for Ukraine (now I have to go look that up).

I just post my opinion and what I think others might want to see.

yiu can go back to imagining that every AK that Russia hands to a draftee is a rusted wreck and that they don’t have a reasonable number of recent conscripts or experienced troops that they can’t rush to the front lines right when rainy season is starting and any more territory to be taken is at a huge premium because of mud.

Me? I will post what I think about what is going on and ignore the every AK is rusted threads.

Your inability to understand the context of what others is posting is no one's fault but your own. You can continue to play the victim and present a strawman that people are saying things that they absolutely aren't saying, but again, that's you.

You're the only one in here that seems to have this perspective of what other posters are saying.

Yes, yours is almost always completely pessimistic which, again, is fine (stop pretending that we aren't saying that), but stop trying to create a situation that you are the "only golden light of truth" in here, fighting against misinformation, sourcing magical information streams that only you have access to, because no one is fucking buying it.

Just say your thing without the background projection of how everyone else is somehow wrong and you aren't.

And yet again: no one cares about your internet history. It is 100% irrelevant. Why the hell would you think that matters to anyone? Your quality is judged by today, as that clearly seems to matter to you.

Reactions: Meghan54

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Four planes and eight drones were taken down. The headline was a little misleading but still a valuable weekend. Can't just drag those off the street and conscript them.

Doh! I should have noticed that, not afraid to admit it. As you say though, still a valuable good start to the party if indeed it was NASAMS. I hope they're kept as mobile and hidden as possible. Ukrainians have moved mountains with shoot and scoot lately, so I expect they'll do fine. Do they have enough ammo to shoot at anything with a Z? Or are they kind of holding back, for cruise missiles?

They did drop some aircraft recently with Iglas and Stingers I believe. It's entirely possible some of these were taken with MANPADS too I guess. Hope we see a breakdown. Modern Stingers are really good, but the Ukrainians have StarStreak which is even better. Such a gnarly design. You can take out an APC with it if you had to.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tsinni Dave

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Kherson looks to be much more bloody. New York Times had a report on that (I posted several pages above). Ukraine morale seems to be quite strong, though.
I think Kherson is being given just enough pressure to keep the orcs in the trap.

I do not think Ukraine is making needless sacrifices to try and take Kherson right now. Just enough pressure to keep all those assets stuck outside of Kherson where they are just a liability.

Let fall come and general mud them into cold wet attrition sort of thing.

Now this is what we are talking about!

Nobody here is claiming every Russian conscript has received a rusty AK. I mean, the reinforcements from Crimea looked like they had thier stuff together.

What is being presented is a whole bunch did get rusty AKs. That is real, and it is nonsense to argue otherwise. It is what we see the DPR auxiliaries getting, and they complained about it to. The mobilization may have worked in some places, but you have to admit in other places it is a shit show.

The lack of training also matches up with what the DPR received. There are real downsides in fielding these type of untrained and poorly equipped cannon fodder units.

--------------------

Lastly, I get that this war is more personal and more traumatic for you. The sacrifices fall closer to you. You want us to be aware of the suffering, the death, the horror that Ukraine is experiencing. There is nothing wrong with that. It is both necessary and needed.

But that does not mean we cannot laugh when Russia hands out rusty AKs.

Last edited:

RnR_au

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2021
This matches tweets over the last day or so. Russia needs more bodies pronto, otherwise Kherson and the East will fall. The prisoner gamble failed - the effective results was zero from that. So no time for training. Streams of untrained bodies will arrive at the front shortly and continue to arrive until the defense looks solid. At which point, Russia will try to get the initiative and start conducting bigger offensives again.

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
Your inability to understand the context of what others is posting is no one's fault but your own. You can continue to play the victim and present a strawman that people are saying things that they absolutely aren't saying, but again, that's you.

You're the only one in here that seems to have this perspective of what other posters are saying.

Yes, yours is almost always completely pessimistic which, again, is fine (stop pretending that we aren't saying that), but stop trying to create a situation that you are the "only golden light of truth" in here, fighting against misinformation, sourcing magical information streams that only you have access to, because no one is fucking buying it.

Just say your thing without the background projection of how everyone else is somehow wrong and you aren't.

And yet again: no one cares about your internet history. It is 100% irrelevant. Why the hell would you think that matters to anyone? Your quality is judged by today, as that clearly seems to matter to you.

Maybe stop projecting? I have not thought that I was the golden light of truth since I was like, 11. Maybe 12 but I think I did a lot of growing up when I was 11.

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
I think Kherson is being given just enough pressure to keep the orcs in the trap.

I do not think Ukraine is making needless sacrifices to try and take Kherson right now. Just enough pressure to keep all those assets stuck outside of Kherson where they are just a liability.

Let fall come and general mud them into cold wet attrition sort of thing.

Now this is what we are talking about!

Nobody here is claiming every Russian conscript has received a rusty AK. I mean, the reinforcements from Crimea looked like they had thier stuff together.

What is being presented is a whole bunch did get rusty AKs. That is real, and it is nonsense to argue otherwise. It is what we see the DPR auxiliaries getting, and they complained about it to. The mobilization may have worked in some places, but you have to admit in other places it is a shit show.

The lack of training also matches up with what the DPR received. There are real downsides in fielding these type of untrained and poorly equipped cannon fodder units.

--------------------

Lastly, I get that this war is more personal and more traumatic for you. The sacrifices fall closer to you. You want us to be aware of the suffering, the death, the horror that Ukraine is experiencing. There is nothing wrong with that. It is both necessary and needed.

But that does not mean we cannot laugh when Russia hands out rusty AKs.

If Russia has really lost 50K to 60K troops then Ukraine can’t be too far behind. A “holding action” in Kherson is costing 50 casualties a day. That is 50 sons (or daughters) not coming home. Every day.

It needs to be done and the troops know what they are fighting for, but maybe I have kids I their 20’s and thinking it could be them or any of the Ukrainian buddies I grew up with or me if this happened when I was younger is somewhat sobering.

I want Russians to die in such huge numbers that they retreat from Ukraine and never try again, but so far holding them off is killing so many Ukrainians.

Reactions: KMFJD and Leeea

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
What is your source for this claim? Besides your Scooby sense.

There is a graphic that is posted daily on various sites/places that list what are the estimated casualties from troops and different equipment types.

Here is an example. Different variations of this are posted daily and there are several crowd sourced groups that try and find evidence for each different loss.

A google search will show a NYT article last week of August that estimated 50K to 60K losses as well.

Troll much?

RnR_au

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2021
There is a graphic that is posted daily on various sites/places that list what are the estimated casualties from troops and different equipment types.

I think he was after the source for your notion that the Ukrainian losses are not too far behind.

tbh I would be surprised if Ukraine had suffered 20k losses. Russian forces and their allies have not been shy at trying to max out territory gains regardless of losses. Ukraine has done a flexible defense, giving up territory when they need to to contain their losses.

And then you have Western style command vs the Russian central command. Stupid, slow decisions based on old information costs lives.

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
I think he was after the source for your notion that the Ukrainian losses are not too far behind.

That is an informed guess. Again, a little bit of a google search and you can get estimates. Losses are pretty large, but the Western bias in news reporting means that they tend to be downplayed.

Here is an example.

Reactions: KMFJD and Leeea

RnR_au

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2021
That is an informed guess. Again, a little bit of a google search and you can get estimates. Losses are pretty large, but the Western bias in news reporting means that they tend to be downplayed.

Here is an example.
I regard those estimates as a pro-Ukrainian psyop. Make the enemy underestimate you, and he will do foolish things.

Reactions: cytg111 and Leeea

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Here is an example.

You cited Russia's summer artillery bombardment campaign, before HIMARs and expenditures brought that to a crashing halt?
Notice Russia stopped gaining major ground since June. The situation has changed significantly from the darkest days of the second phase.

Yes, the territorial defenders suffered horribly when Russia finally organized and brought its full force to bear.
Ukraine has 1 million mobilized, been training and equipping since March. The Kharkiv counter offensive and Kherson offensive are prime examples of Ukraine entering the fight and no longer simply losing.

Odd that you would cherry pick.