Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 709 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
That is the same rationale used to justify the invasion of Iraq. "Let's fight them over there so we don't have to fight them over here." Did they ever find those mythical Weapons of Mass Destruction? Of course, not!

It was all a series of vicious lies.

That is the nonsense used to destroy a Middle East nation that Israel hated and feared. But get the U.S. and Britain to sacrifice their soldiers, airmen and wealth to do it.
What does any of the above have to do with Ukraine?

Are you arguing Russia is not invading Ukraine? That the entire thread is all lies? This whole thing is a Israeli plot?

Your statements come across as incoherent.

What is happening in Ukraine, unfortunately, is what Europeans have done for centuries: Slaughter each other. They have never stopped. Whether it is the Balkans or Eastern Europe, they will not stop.
That is a rather racist statement you just made. You do realize violence is not restricted to -insert group of people you do not like here-. Violence is a very American thing, and the American civil war is the most deadly conflict in this history of our nation. We are not superior to the unfortunate people in Ukraine. We are however very fortunate to have large oceans between us and other imperial powers.

Secondly, if we do look at the Balkan's operations, they are an example of successful intervention. After intervention the violence stopped, stability was restored, and the region has a bright future. You have just made an argument for intervention.

Last edited:

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Seems this is par for the course across their storage facilities;

That kind of contempt for the guy on the ground doesn't win wars.

I thought Russians were big on packing surplus in cosmoline, maybe that got sold to the black market too. I wonder how the ammo held up. Russian military gets cheaper steel cased stuff with a lacquer job I think, or did.

Have fun clearing that minefield guys. I don't think you're expected to really fight.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leeea

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
That kinda of contempt for the guy on the ground doesn't win wars.

I thought Russians were big on packing surplus in cosmoline, maybe that got sold to the black market too. I wonder how the ammo held up. Russian military gets cheaper steel cased stuff with a lacquer job I think, or did.

Have fun clearing that minefield guys. I don't think you're expected to really fight.

They’ve been selling off surplus for 30+ years to bring in hard currency, and you can’t sell obvious crap. The best stuff in reserve was probably pilfered long ago. Correct on the ammo, steel case, lacquer coat, sealed primers, and usually in a steel can (often galvanised) that will resist rust fairly well. I imagine they can still make small arms ammunition fairly easily too.

I know that the best of the SKS and mosins were sold off years ago to civilians around the world, one of the major Canadian importers detailed the extremely poor condition of what was left in the lead up to the embargos. I wouldn’t be surprised to find the same thing about their only slightly more modern weapons.

Reactions: Leeea and K1052

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
As I've previously wished for, just wait 'til the privileged class' young men get that fatally fickle frantic knock on their school dorm doors. I'd surely love to see that happen just for the fact that by then it would mean that the last nail in Putin's coffin is being introduced to the hammer that's going to drive it flush.

Reactions: pmv and Leeea

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
What woud we do if Putin uses a low grade nuke against Ukraine? Would we strike Russia with our nukes?

U.S. Warns Russia of ‘Catastrophic Consequences’ of Using Nuclear Weapons in Ukraine

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
What woud we do if Putin uses a low grade nuke against Ukraine? Would we strike Russia with our nukes?

U.S. Warns Russia of ‘Catastrophic Consequences’ of Using Nuclear Weapons in Ukraine

Yeah, I don't know the answer to that. Scary that those in charge in the US now feel it's necessary to issue such warnings. Perhaps Putin really is that crazy.

Glad I'm not in charge of making the decision. Seems like the whole point of deterrence is there has to be a real threat of at least lobbing one back at the Russians. Ideally, perhaps, to be dropped right on the Kremlin? But would Putin not already be in a Siberian bunker by that point?

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
I don’t think a nuke on Moscow is proportional relative to a nuke in Ukraine.

I’m a supporter of a massive conventional response against Russia’s most valuable assets. Sink most of their navy (I would not attack ballistic missile subs,) destroy as many planes as possible, enter the Ukraine war immediately (probably Air Force first as it can be brought to bear very quickly.) Make it clear that this is minor compared to what will happen if there’s another nuke launched.

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999

Lyman will fall tomorrow posts go back a while. So far the Russians are dug in and robustly defending. Ukraine seems to have pivoted to an encircle strategy but only making halting progress.

Russian sources are full of stories of slaughtered Ukraine troops with endless tanks blown up. Ukrainian sources list the latest hamlet taken and how that means Lyman is doomed.

Seems like a very tough fight where Ukraine is making very slow progress.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Lyman will fall tomorrow posts go back a while. So far the Russians are dug in and robustly defending. Ukraine seems to have pivoted to an encircle strategy but only making halting progress.

Russian sources are full of stories of slaughtered Ukraine troops with endless tanks blown up. Ukrainian sources list the latest hamlet taken and how that means Lyman is doomed.

Seems like a very tough fight where Ukraine is making very slow progress.

I think you would probably categorize Ukraine capturing Belgorod as "slow and modest success".