Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 70 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Lot of European mansions going to go to waste, shucks. Also a real bummer, sanctions against Russian money affecting GQP PACs and campaign donations.

Welcome back to the 90s Russia, good luck keepin that economy in H.

I'm liking this a lot. Hopefully, this also puts the final nail through the skull of the NRA. They can't survive without Russian cash.

Reactions: kage69

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Yeah'right. 5 minute job, no?

There only a few major levers but they're all pretty devastating to them. The message coming out of Europe so far seems to be they are now willing to take whatever economic pain is required to stop who they perceive to be a madman. This kind of assault on Ukraine is so utterly without any sort of real sense that all other concerns besides security are being rendered moot. This isn't the kind of incremental action the doubters expected and even they appear shaken.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
One other point is that it does not appear that this invasion was undertaken at the last minute in response to changing circumstances, this sure looks like it was the plan all along.

No, Putin entirely validated the most stark US assessments of what this would look like. Not even the barest fig leaf to hide behind here.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Especially notable how he was all on about how Biden was stoking hysteria, how he was getting played, etc. In reality, Biden had it exactly right.
I will never understand how one can assume that the singular individual at the nexus of the most extensive intelligence network on the planet might not know what another leader's intentions are.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
This is all about the abysmal failure of Biden and his laughable administration. After his complete and utter failure in Afghanistan most experts expected further disasters in foreign affairs/diplomacy .................... now they're getting them.

what are the failures? They aren't failures just because you claim they are failures.

Be specific. What has the Biden administration actually done that is a failure?

Hurt your feelings? Make it more difficult for you to live out your infanticide fantasies along the border?

What exactly has gotten your chap in a twist about Biden?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Because condemning the invasion accomplishes nothing. Words, Words, Words, Words. Don't mean squat unless you have a big stick to back it up.
The entire message of the leftist party for the last 30 years is disarm, shrink the military, and spend that money on welfare and Medicaid.
Ending the cold war and disarming was never a good thing, the cold war was the only thing that kept the aggressive idiots of Asia in check.
Weakness has been shown. The leadership on the left no longer has the stomach for war and the armies of darkness and destruction are prepared to march.
Who is going to rebuild all those battleships and carriers and soldiers to liberate Europe for the third time, and then who is going to liberate Taiwan from China?
You would think after 2 world wars, Korea, Vietnam, and several other conflicts since then, you might learn a thing or 7.

Never truer words have ever been spoken

oh good, another apocalyptic religious sociopath enters the thread to add yet another moron take about world events and history that he clearly doesn't fucking understand.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
what are the failures? They aren't failures just because you claim they are failures.

Be specific. What has the Biden administration actually done that is a failure?

Hurt your feelings? Make it more difficult for you to live out your infanticide fantasies along the border?

What exactly has gotten your chap in a twist about Biden?
It’s Taj, he is essentially a bot. If the same thing happened under Trump he would say ‘it’s none of our business anyway’ or something to that effect.

He is not an honest person and I don’t think he’s made any attempt to hide that. That basically explains everything.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
To be fair, Trump was in the same position and we know how fucking incompetent and naive that guy was (is).
Yeah, but he also didn't sit in on intelligence briefings, so he was really more of a headless chicken when it came to things like that. Even if he had the intelligence to actually do anything about it, he never got the information.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I will never understand how one can assume that the singular individual at the nexus of the most extensive intelligence network on the planet might not know what another leader's intentions are.
I think world leaders get things wrong pretty often but being that certain that a country that currently had an ongoing invasion of their neighbor wouldn’t invade them more was a bad bet from the start.

I tried to warn him that he was running a high risk of humiliating himself but I think he was too personally invested in the position to back down by that point.

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

compcons

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2004
I'm liking this a lot. Hopefully, this also puts the final nail through the skull of the NRA. They can't survive without Russian cash.
It would be interesting to see which congress critters are slow rolling sanctions. I am sure there are quite a few who do not want to see Russia financially devastated.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
It would be interesting to see which congress critters are slow rolling sanctions. I am sure there are quite a few who do not want to see Russia financially devastated.

If anything this is likely to galvanize action. Perhaps the one upside of the Senate being old as hell is they all were alive for USSR days. Anyway Biden has nearly unlimited authority to impose sanctions AFAIK.