Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 69 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Because condemning the invasion accomplishes nothing. Words, Words, Words, Words. Don't mean squat unless you have a big stick to back it up.
The entire message of the leftist party for the last 30 years is disarm, shrink the military, and spend that money on welfare and Medicaid.
Ending the cold war and disarming was never a good thing, the cold war was the only thing that kept the aggressive idiots of Asia in check.
Weakness has been shown. The leadership on the left no longer has the stomach for war and the armies of darkness and destruction are prepared to march.
Who is going to rebuild all those battleships and carriers and soldiers to liberate Europe for the third time, and then who is going to liberate Taiwan from China?
You would think after 2 world wars, Korea, Vietnam, and several other conflicts since then, you might learn a thing or 7.

Never truer words have ever been spoken
Get your ass on a plane. Ukraine needs you now!

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Defeat PRC in a non-nuclear war? You do understand we did not win against the PRC in Vietnam, when we had 10x the military we do now?
Technology doesnt win war. It takes bodies, blood, guts, and courage.
The only thing preventing the PRC from steamrolling us right now, is the pacific ocean.
You’re right, we didn’t defeat the PRC in Vietnam. Of course outside of them manning some air defenses in the north we didn’t fight them, but I guess that’s beside the point for experts such as yourself.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
This is all about the abysmal failure of Biden and his laughable administration. After his complete and utter failure in Afghanistan most experts expected further disasters in foreign affairs/diplomacy .................... now they're getting them.

You really do have a very limited view of history and the world don't you?

The events unfolding are consequences of years/decades of action or inaction.

The US has a role, but we are not the main drivers here (and that's been a conscious choice.)

This is far more about the break up of the Soviet union, Ukraine moving out of Russian sphere on influence and towards the West, THEIR democratic election kicking out the Russian lackies and how that played in Russia, and finally the fact they unfortunately elected an unqualified TV president who is out of his depth.

Then you can move to the Europeans, and their fear and wavering relationship with Russia and dependence on Russian exports.

Then later you can move to the US, where over many successive administrations R and D, we've failed to properly counter Russian aggression. Our entire country is acting afraid of conflict, so we've never punished Putin, just levied strongly worded letters and ineffective sanctions.

We have the power to crush him if we want, and no one, not Bush, but Trump, not Obama, not Biden have ever made that a credible threat.

Last edited:

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Again this is ALL about Biden, his failure and the failure of his administration......nothing else.

TLDR..

Taj-dumbot's history of the world began in 2021, and only extends to the US' borders.

George-W-Bush-011.jpg

"I looked the man in the eye. I found him to be very straightforward and trustworthy. We had a very good dialogue. I was able to get a sense of his soul; a man deeply committed to his country and the best interests of his country."

Reality: Putin is a criminal who only continues to exist because those with the power to confront him make excuses for him instead.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
No, I said they dont want Kyiv to join NATO.
Indeed, so let's roll the tape.

You have all also need to remember that for Russians, Ukraine and specifically Kyiv IS Russia.
It would be impossible for any Russian being ordinary people , politician or military personnel to ever accept Ukraine and Kyiv under NATO.
What you said about how Russians see Kyiv as a former capital is just your opinion. In your posts, you make it sound like this is a majority opinion of Russian citizens. If you have any source besides Putin to support this claim, please share with us. (To be clear, even if that's what civilians believe, that's not a legal justification for attacking Ukraine.)

Although it's true that strategically, Russia would reject Ukraine joining NATO, there was no timetable for that to happen this decade. So it's rather difficult to claim Ukraine's potential membership poses any sort of threat to Russia that requires a preemptive strike.

bairon

Feb 22, 2022
Putin seems to be rolling his tanks in and bombing the major airfields without any opposition. Is this a joke when Ukraine say they will fight or are they waiting for Nato to do it for them. They have lost before they they have even started.

Reactions: Puffnstuff

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Do the West even need to put boots on the ground? Take out the Russian airforce and armour and their troops can't hold.

Where it ends I bet it's that the West does nothing but wag it's finger and impose feckless sanctions while Putin continues to win with an incredibly weak hand.

However, I think the challenge for Russia will be not in the invasion, but afterwards trying to hold onto the country.

It won't take much to feed sabotage, terrorism and assassination. Afghanistan 2.0.

This would also be an opportune time to open a second front while Russia is all in on Ukraine.
Maybe we start fuckin with their proxy on Syria. Ugh, problem tho Russia has nothing worth fighting over.

Last edited:

RnR_au

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2021
Putin seems to be rolling his tanks in and bombing the major airfields without any opposition. Is this a joke when Ukraine say they will fight or are they waiting for Nato to do it for them. They have lost before they they have even started.
Guessing here, but I think the Ukrainian tactics will be to draw in the Russian forces into urban areas and then conduct hit and run tactics taking out the heavy armour.

Make it expensive for Russia to gain a compliant Ukrainian puppet state. As someone else said on this thread, Russia only has the GDP of Italy, it can't afford to run its military hard for long. Especially with heavy duty Russian sanctions that are coming next.

Reactions: Bitek and Racan

bairon

Feb 22, 2022
Guessing here, but I think the Ukrainian tactics will be to draw in the Russian forces into urban areas and then conduct hit and run tactics taking out the heavy armour.
Make it expensive for Russia to gain a compliant Ukrainian puppet state. As someone else said on this thread, Russia only has the GDP of Italy, it can't afford to run its military hard for long. Especially with heavy duty Russian sanctions that are coming next.
Once they have their foot on the ground it will be much harder to dislodge them and costlier and wont work. Surely they have some anti aircraft why dont they use it. Russia can just bomb them out of existence. Like it was done in Yugoslavia without sending in troops. I think they have given in and hope the Russians will take some land and then go away.

bairon

Feb 22, 2022
Ukraine’s military command says that government forces have killed “around 50 Russian occupiers” while repulsing an attack on a town on the frontline with Moscow-backed rebels.

AFP could not immediately confirm the death toll.

“Shchastya is under control. 50 Russian occupiers were killed. Another Russian plane was destroyed in the Kramatorsk district. This is the sixth,” the armed forces general staff writes on Twitter.

From another website. It seems the major news sites are not reporting everything.
So it isnt really true what I am saying

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
CNN is showing the Russian army pouring across the border from Belarus and multiple airstrikes on Ukrainian cities.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
looks like im not that smart, it seems.
The invasion has started. Russian troops are firing at Ukrainian positions.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Gangster Boss has

- Been propping up neofascism throughout the west for a proper decade.
- Novichok'ing whereever and whenever
- Toppled US government for a good 4 years plus change
- Carpet bombed civilians in Syria for the purpose of creating a migrant stream up through Europe (catalyst with point one above).
- Now invading a neighboring country, a western democracy, for total domination and assimilation.
- I AM SURE I AM FORGETTING A SHIT TON HERE.

I know I know. Nuclear. The truth is uncomfortable. Cant start shooting at Russians cause WW3 and end of days and shit.

SURPRISE MOTHERFUCKER, Russia is shooting at us, and have been for a while.
Europe needs to assemble a coalition and get the fuck in Ukraine NOW!

- thats just my opinion -

RnR_au

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2021

Will be interesting to see what Turkey will do. In one of Putin's recent rants he even claimed parts of Turkey for the Russian Empire. It could be possible for Turkey to act alone outside of Nato. And their drones will make mincemeat out of Russian armour.

If Turkey got involved, it would be the end of Putin.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
What's happening now in Ukraine happened before in Georgia : Abkhazia and South Osetia declared independence, locals got evacuated to Russia under the pretext of imminent genocide by the Georgian government, cars of local officials blew up, allegedly due to terrorist activity by forces opposed to the Russian take over - strangely, there were no victims. The Russian parliament recognized the independence of the breakway republic, the Russian army was sent in, war ensued, Georgia was defeated and ended up with two (currently) frozen conflicts on its territory.

Not so original this Putin guy, the same/similar thing seems to be happening right now in Ukraine.

Putin/Russia recognized the republics of Luhansk and Donetsk as comprising the entire regions of Luhansk and Donetsk. Only one third of this area is now under the control of the rebels/Russia, and that’s the area where Russian troops are currently massing. Will they make a push for the rest of Luhansk and Donetsk? If so, will they stop once they occupy the whole area, or will they keep going?

Most former Soviet states are pulling away from Russia, and Putin keeps fighting to hold them back. Belarus, Kazakhstan, Moldova, and that was only last year. He ended up sending troops in Kazakhstan. Moldova also has a frozen war on its territory with the self-declared trans-Dniester republic which, incidentally, has Russian “peace keepers” in it's territory

What doesn’t seem to occur to Putin is that those countries really like the EU and the economic prosperity it brings rather than anything Russia/Putin can provide. Or maybe he knows it, but he doesn’t care. That’s the root of his troubles in Ukraine, the Maidan/Orange revolution that kicked out the pro-Russian president was triggered by Ukraine reneging an economic treaty with the EU. But Putin thinks Russia is entitled to have its buffer of vassal countries around it, and what those countries want it’s irrelevant. The Soviet-era iron boot on their various necks didn’t exactly instill in any of these countries a fondness of Russians or being under said boot. The Baltics in particular, but most of eastern Europe as well definitely ran to the west as soon as they could and hence reasons for Putin wanting a buffer.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Once they have their foot on the ground it will be much harder to dislodge them and costlier and wont work. Surely they have some anti aircraft why dont they use it. Russia can just bomb them out of existence. Like it was done in Yugoslavia without sending in troops. I think they have given in and hope the Russians will take some land and then go away.
What is the experience or expertise you are using to make this judgment?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
No need to be emo about it. I assess it as I see it with my understanding of the information at the time. Putin recognizing Donbas and more severe than expected sanctions, such as on Russian debt, are new information leading to the conclusion that we could be in an escalation spiral, hence the new assessment. Putin said before that severe sanctions would "untie his hands."

you're not unique. Everyone does this. all the time. with everything.

what do you think is the difference between you who saw the only thing that you saw, and literally everyone else that saw exactly what was happening, at the time, with the same access to the same information and made the obvious correct call?

Can you explain, because that is the salient point.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
you're not unique. Everyone does this. all the time. with everything.

what do you think is the difference between you who saw the only thing that you saw, and literally everyone else that saw exactly what was happening, at the time, with the same access to the same information and made the obvious correct call?

Can you explain, because that is the salient point.
I think the position of most people was ‘I don’t know for sure but this looks bad’. Yes though, he was basically alone in saying there would be no invasion and further, was openly mocking anyone who said otherwise.

Especially notable how he was all on about how Biden was stoking hysteria, how he was getting played, etc. In reality, Biden had it exactly right.