Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 680 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Follow the money ~ most of the "accidents" were oil & gas related, which is where the big money is in Russia. Roughly $350 billion/year in oil/gas exports - not even counting domestic sales. Russian weapons exports by comparison are like ~$10 billion/year.

I think he's referring to the hundreds of billions spent over the last decade or so on modernizing Russian forces. Much of which appears to have been syphoned off through graft and corruption. The people who run those industries are likely to have the closest ties to Putin and he was certainly getting a cut. Doubtful any of them have taken a fall, so to speak, for their actions which had his tacit endorsement.

Putin's problem is that he started to get high on his own supply of propaganda and there was nobody around who would dare discourage this.

Reactions: Number1 and Leeea

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
I think he's referring to the hundreds of billions spent over the last decade or so on modernizing Russian forces. Much of which appears to have been syphoned off through graft and corruption. The people who run those industries are likely to have the closest ties to Putin and he was certainly getting a cut. Doubtful any of them have taken a fall, so to speak, for their actions which had his tacit endorsement.

Putin's problem is that he started to get high on his own supply of propaganda and there was nobody around who would dare discourage this.
Hey, at least some of those refurbished T-62 tanks actually made it to the battle... money well spent! (Still looking forward to a T-55 capture...)

Reactions: Leeea

Grabo

Apr 5, 2005
"Ivan Pechorin, 39, managing director of the Corporation for the Development of the Far East and the Arctic, reportedly fell off a boat at full speed"

"
Pechorin worked under Russian President Vladimir Putin, according to the Russian publication Komsomolskaya Pravda, modernizing aviation in eastern Russia while developing resources in the Arctic in light of heavy sanctions.
Pechorin's last public appearance reportedly occurred at the Eastern Economic Forum, held from September 5 to 8 in Vladivostok. The Daily Mail reported that Pechorin spoke during a session called, "Everyone has their Own Route: The Logistics of a Changed World.""

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Yeah the Ukrainian attack on Russian lines at Kherson has settled into an attritional fight. With the Russians stuck on the wrong side of a river with two busted bridges I would really not prefer to be them even if they have defensible positions. Likely just a matter of time.

I wonder if they'll wait until russian supplies are really low in a couple months and do a late autumn counteroffensive?

This is a guy that knows how to motivate his troops. He works the diplomatic angles masterfully to get them the supplies they need, then visits them personally at pretty substantial risk to himself. Between all this and visiting soldiers in the hospital I'm not sure when he sleeps.

It's crazy how wildly inaccurate the foreign estimations of his leadership abilities were.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Looks like the Kremlin has settled on an explanation for their recent defeats.

Russian media is now filled with pronouncements that any defeat in this war will mean the destruction of Russia and yet nobody asks why Russia chose to enter into a conflict with such dire stakes.

Like if I had a choice to enter a war where if I won I got Ukraine and if I lost I were killed I would choose to not enter that war.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Russian media is now filled with pronouncements that any defeat in this war will mean the destruction of Russia and yet nobody asks why Russia chose to enter into a conflict with such dire stakes.

Like if I had a choice to enter a war where if I won I got Ukraine and if I lost I were killed I would choose to not enter that war.

The idea that Russia cannot at will occasionally invade, subjugate, and genocide its neighbors apparently constitutes an existential crisis for them.

Russia ceasing to exist if it is defeated probably represents a rather acceptable proposal for like 100 million some people living on its borders.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Looks like Iranian drones are there

drone.jpeg

Shahed-136 kamikaze drone shot down near Kupiansk

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

Ufff, the smells like a precursor to mobilization.

Reactions: Zor Prime and Leeea

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
As many people have mentioned I’m not sure mobilizing would do much. It would take months to train them and then send them into battle with what equipment?
Is that the case though? I just heard on the radio today, military analyst, that due to this being a "special operation" and official war has not been declared there is a reserve of 100's of thousands already trained he could begin pouring in. At the same time, mobilize to replenish as fertilizer stacks up.

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003

Yes that is what I was referring to.

If Putin green lit the grift and the war, what is his endgame?

Atari2600

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2016
Yes that is what I was referring to.

If Putin green lit the grift and the war, what is his endgame?

I'd reckon he didn't know anything about the extent of it and thought he genuinely was presiding over the army they told him he had.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Absolutely love the "FURY" tag on the gun tube. Made me chuckle. It's like a mobile pillbox for all intents.

Ukrainian TDF soldiers who are operating a motley assortment of truck mounted WW2 Anti-aircraft guns on cargo trucks, salvaged MLRS tubes on pickups, and soviet howitzers/anti-tank guns jury rigged up on captured MT-LBs seeing T-62 captures:

200.gif

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

Listen to the Russians, they've been repeatedly saying their reason.
Ukraine does not exist. To Russia, all that land is theirs. Always has been. Until western "Nazis" took Ukraine from Russia in 2014.

This is the propaganda they've been sniffing since 2014, and now it has gone to their heads. Even Putin believes it.

This is existential for them, because until they reach Poland, the Russians really believe that THEIR land was stolen.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Listen to the Russians, they've been repeatedly saying their reason.
Ukraine does not exist. To Russia, all that land is theirs. Always has been. Until western "Nazis" took Ukraine from Russia in 2014.

This is the propaganda they've been sniffing since 2014, and now it has gone to their heads. Even Putin believes it.

This is existential for them, because until they reach Poland, the Russians really believe that THEIR land was stolen.
Nah, these are ex post facto lies the Russian government made up. We don’t have to pretend to believe them.

Reactions: Racan and Leeea

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Richard Shirreff “Former Deputy Supreme allied Commander Europe” and his take on the current situation…. that might well point towards a collapse of Russia…

Reactions: Muse