Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 66 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Frankly, the media is predicting a long war. I disagree. I believe this invasion will be very swift and by a few weeks it will be all over with Putin emerging as the victor.
This is how it will be. I wouldn't get all upset about this unless we truly want a war directly between the US and Russia. Do we?
At this point the media could be our worst enemy with blowing this way out of proportion, and forcing Biden to go further. The media cares nothing about WWlll, they only care about ratings. Its hard to find ratings when your audience have been nuked.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Frankly, the media is predicting a long war. I disagree. I believe this invasion will be very swift and by a few weeks it will be all over with Putin emerging as the victor.
This is how it will be. I wouldn't get all upset about this unless we truly want a war directly between the US and Russia. Do we?
At this point the media could be our worst enemy with blowing this way out of proportion, and forcing Biden to go further. The media cares nothing about WWlll, they only care about ratings. Its hard to find ratings when your audience have been nuked.
Oh give this shit a break. For the last month we have heard that the media was trying to start a war for ratings. Turns out they were 100% right.

I think the initial conflict will be over pretty quickly, although I hope Ukraine is able to at least give them a bloody nose. What happens after that though could be a long insurgency.

trenchfoot

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Can't wait to see and hear what further sanctions are going to be levied on Putin and his oligarch henchmen.

Should also be interesting to see if raw video clips from inside Russia will make its way out into the wild having to do with what the average Russian thinks about their nation invading a sovereign nation on their border and what they are being propagandized with by their leadership in regard to the invasion.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Can't wait to see and hear what further sanctions are going to be levied on Putin and his oligarch henchmen.

Should also be interesting to see if raw video clips from inside Russia will make its way out into the wild having to do with what the average Russian thinks about their nation invading a sovereign nation on their border and what they are being propagandized with by their leadership in regard to the invasion.

Lot of European mansions going to go to waste, shucks. Also a real bummer, sanctions against Russian money affecting GQP PACs and campaign donations.

Welcome back to the 90s Russia, good luck keepin that economy in H.

• Haha
Reactions: zinfamous

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Ukrainian Ambassador more asking the UN to remove Russia from the charter (or at least the Security Council?)

I don’t think the UN can do that. One of the many reasons why it’s essentially toothless when it comes to bad faith by bad actors.

Racan

Golden Member
Sep 22, 2012
Putin announces ‘special military operation’ in Ukraine – POLITICO

“To anyone who would consider interfering from outside: If you do, you will face consequences greater than any you have faced in history. All the relevant decisions have been taken. I hope you hear me,” he said.

He then made claims about Russia’s military might, insisting: “As for the military sphere, modern Russia, even after the collapse of the USSR and the loss of a significant part of its nuclear potential, is today one of the most powerful nuclear powers. And moreover, it has certain advantages in a number of the latest types of weapons. In this regard, no one should have there is no doubt that a direct attack on Russia will lead to defeat and dire consequences for a potential aggressor.”

I read that as Putain threatening with nuclear war basically if NATO intervenes directly.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Ukrainian Ambassador more asking the UN to remove Russia from the charter (or at least the Security Council?)

I don’t think the UN can do that. One of the many reasons why it’s essentially toothless when it comes to bad faith by bad actors.
The UN can definitely expel members, the main issue is that it’s the security council that does it so…yeah.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Putin announces ‘special military operation’ in Ukraine – POLITICO

I read that as Putain threatening with nuclear war basically if NATO intervenes directly.
Putin’s main advantage here is that he’s more willing to fight over Ukraine than the west is. The west’s advantage is overwhelming economic and conventional military superiority.

So yeah, you leverage what you have, although I tend to think threats of nuclear war in case someone tries to stop Russia from invading a neighboring country are empty. That being said, Putin is right insofar as the west isn’t going to directly intervene.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
The issue is if the west let’s Russia do this, what stops Russia from further westward expansion into Europe. They have been bullying and threatening non NATO European countries for years. They aren’t thinly veiled threats either.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The issue is if the west let’s Russia do this, what stops Russia from further westward expansion into Europe. They have been bullying and threatening non NATO European countries for years. They aren’t thinly veiled threats either.
Exactly what other non-NATO countries in Europe are you thinking of? I guess Russia could attack Sweden or Finland but after that the list gets pretty short.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

The total destruction of his invading force if he tried to use it against NATO?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Exactly what other non-NATO countries in Europe are you thinking of? I guess Russia could attack Sweden or Finland but after that the list gets pretty short.

One of both of those could be new members before the weekend also.

trenchfoot

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
So what's China saying about this? Should be interesting (comical) to hear from their ambassador at the UN about this "special military operation" that Putin has initiated.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
That being said, I still remember how easily the US defeated Iraq and the Taliban. Maybe Russia turns out to be better at occupation than we were

Russia has no hesitation at killing every single human being, and delivering collective punishment. Genocide wins occupations.