Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 598 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
Lots of happy looking at news, but Russia has succeeded on its recent goals, is setting up for more. The political turmoil in the UK will shake up aid I am sure.

And the Ukrainian Army was mauled pretty badly in the recent defense.

I think that Russia really cannot sustain losses like they needed to take the small amount of land they grabbed, but just just need to outlast a smaller foe as all their other borders are secure.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Lots of happy looking at news, but Russia has succeeded on its recent goals, is setting up for more. The political turmoil in the UK will shake up aid I am sure.

I doubt it. Boris is still in office and his replacement will probably be Wallace who has committed to sustain military aid. Wishful thinking on the part of Moscow IMO.

And the Ukrainian Army was mauled pretty badly in the recent defense.

They've suffered significant losses to be sure but largely preserved their forces for future combat with timely withdrawals. The Russians are reportedly quite frustrated they have not really been able to pocket them at all. That means they have to fight them again and again for relatively small areas of territory, which are totally ruined by their own bombardments.

I think that Russia really cannot sustain losses like they needed to take the small amount of land they grabbed, but just just need to outlast a smaller foe as all their other borders are secure.

Just waiting to see when they arm the separatists with T-55s now.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I doubt it. Boris is still in office and his replacement will probably be Wallace who has committed to sustain military aid. Wishful thinking on the part of Moscow IMO.

Not clear _who_ his replacement will be, at the moment. Might be a 'caretaker' PM before they pick a 'real' one.
(It's even been suggested the 'caretaker' might be Theresa May. That would be quite funny), But I don't see attitudes to the war changing no matter who it is. Even in the unlikely event that there's an election and the Tories lose, I don't see Starmer taking a different line either.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Not clear _who_ his replacement will be, at the moment. Might be a 'caretaker' PM before they pick a 'real' one.
(It's even been suggested the 'caretaker' might be Theresa May. That would be quite funny), But I don't see attitudes to the war changing no matter who it is. Even in the unlikely event that there's an election and the Tories lose, I don't see Starmer taking a different line either.

Yeah one of the few things the parties seem to overwhelmingly agree on is military aid for Ukraine. Broader point being the political shakeup isn't likely at all to cut supplies as Putin and Co are hoping.

Reactions: Roger Wilco

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
I was under the impression the internal fuze detonated the RPG regardless of whether it hit anything after a preset time.

They must have figured out a way around that. Looks like the worlds most inefficient mortar.

edit:
Is the soldier firing the thing missing an arm?!

edit 2:
That is single handedly the most impressive display I have see all week.

Last edited:

RnR_au

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2021
Fuck Germany and their historic fuck you got mine.
I suspect the German government will overcompensate when it comes to rebuilding Ukraine. I mean, the German civil engineering industry don't mind German state support...

Reactions: Ajay

Drach

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2022
I suspect the German government will overcompensate when it comes to rebuilding Ukraine. I mean, the German civil engineering industry don't mind German state support...
A lot of good that does when all that's left is a smoking crater.
Sorry for my pessimism. I'm having a bad day.

Reactions: Thump553 and RnR_au

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
"Okay, we're out of ammo and we're still alive. Mission accomplished; we can go back to base now."

Excellent point. It makes me wonder if they were anywhere near where a Ukrainian sniper could pick them off. And then there's that instance where the one armed operator simply throws the RPG mount aside like they're never going to use it again. Rather strange, along with the cameraman's use of what looks like an older US military issue brain bucket.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leeea

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Last edited:

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
11 ammo dumps this week so far have gone up in smoke

You'd think after that many dumps got dumped on the Russians would do something clever.....wait, what the hell am saying. It's probably the Russian munitions manufacturers that are tipping off the Ukrainians the whereabouts of those dumps.

• Haha
Reactions: KMFJD