Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 541 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
With all the western help, they should not be making any progress at all, but rather being pushed back.

The Russians still have a large numerical advantage. Though at the rate they are burning through men and equipment how long they can sustain forward movement is a very open question. It is hard to overstate how dramatically Russian military goals have shrunk from "take over all Ukraine" to "hopefully pocket Severodonetsk in a few more weeks". Ukrainian will and western weapons made that possible.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Calling it now, Putin will die from his cancer within the next 30 days.

Curious what the succession plan will be. I bet Medvedev is at/near the top of Putin's list. I don't think he has a son to "inherit" his position.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
With all the western help, they should not be making any progress at all, but rather being pushed back.
The enemy gets a vote.

Unless Russian moral collapses and the Russian army is routed, they are not going anywhere for years. Russia has more material, more soldiers, and adequate moral as it stands. It will continue to win until that changes.

The western help is inadequate. To push the Russian's back Ukraine is going to need about $300 billion, not the $40 billion we are sending. As it stands, even if we allocated $300 billion, we lack the ability to get that into Ukraine in a timely manner.

Ukraine is still operating at the end of an airlift to Poland, and then backroads into Ukraine. Fast response, but limited carriage.

We are transitioning to ship and railroad to Poland, and then road into Ukraine. An improvement, but still inadequate.

Between Ukraine and Poland there is a long abandoned soviet rail link. Unusable now, but it is being rebuilt. This will take over a year to rebuild in Poland. Likely years on the Ukraine end.
Once any* railroad link is built to proper capacity NATO will be able to send enough resources to push Russia out. Until then, all that can be done is to bleed the Russians out.

Outside of moral collapse, Russia is not going anywhere until a heavy carriage rail link is created*.

*there is another rail link to Lithuania that was just brought online. But it seems to be confined to light loads. It is being used to transport an inadequate amount of grain out of Ukraine.

There are other of passenger service railroads running to Poland. These also seem confined to light loads. With railroads, the weight of carriage usable is limited by the bridges. The soviets did not build their infrastructure for heavy loads.

However, it seems these could be upgraded. All NATO needs is one good line and protection from air interdiction.

Last edited:

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
At some point someone is going to have to sail a Navy in and end the blockade to end the famine.

Interesting thing is India is first up to starve. India moved quick to support Russia in this, and India is getting that cheap blood oil from Russia. Blood oil does not feed anyone though. Not feeling like we should put our people in harms way for India just yet.

The famine will not stop at India though, and eventually someone is going to have to do something.
I thought India was a net exporter of food. They will certainly won't sail up to the Black Sea. Though I can see them buying stolen grain from Russia for cheap.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
I thought India was a net exporter of food. They will certainly won't sail up to the Black Sea. Though I can see them buying stolen grain from Russia for cheap.
Fertilizer is also skyrocketing in price because of the war, that will lower some production

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
If that's true it makes this invasion somehow even worse - it would indicate to me Putin knew he was about to die and so decided to launch a genocidal war before he went out because wouldn't it just be such a shame to miss out on slaughtering all those innocent people.
I think he believed this would be a cake walk and would be the final victory to cement his legacy.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
High value items. Tea, Coffee, Oilseed. In terms of dollars they are exporters. Basically, the reasons the British Empire moved into India long ago.

if I am reading the graph right (and I am not sure I am), India imports 25 million tons while exporting 1 million tons of wheat last year. My research seems confusing.

What does pop up those is a complete export ban on India wheat this year:

Last edited:

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
A traitor to all free people of the democratic west.
For Kissinger, it was purely a Machiavellian gesture. That to him, freedom, democracy, moralistic principles, etc, sometimes have to take a back seat to avoiding war. He knows the Russians probably better than anyone else on earth. And certainly knew how dangerous the idea of Ukraine falling into the western sphere of influence would be.

John Mearsheimer basically said the same thing a few years ago.

This is not necessarily agreeing with any of them, but I understand their positions.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
There is only once piece of news about Kissinger that I have any interest in reading and this is not it.

If it's what you're alluding to, I too wouldn't mind seeing half staff flags flying for him given what I recall from those heady days of prying his brand of diplomatic skullduggery.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Calling it now, Putin will die from his cancer within the next 30 days.
In that case the Grim Reaper comes with flowers, smiles, hugs and kisses. Hope it's true and Russia takes a turn towards the light, gets all troops and equipment immediately out of Ukraine.

Atari2600

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2016
I wonder would it be possible to have a seawolf or astute visit Istanbul... Just for sightseeing and local tours of course...

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
I wonder would it be possible to have a seawolf or astute visit Istanbul... Just for sightseeing and local tours of course...

That's like holding the fuse stuck in a stick of TNT a lil' bit too close to a roaring bonfire although the thought of it does have a nice ring to it.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
It is fully expected that Ukraine will have to slowly trade territory in exchange for Russian casualties.
I just hope the pace of Russian advance remains slow enough that Ukraine can arm up in time to make it count.