Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 534 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Ouch but bad timing really. Now Russian TV is going to play this on a loop anytime any US politician criticizes them for invading Ukraine.
That won't exactly get them off the hook. Maybe they could make it work but the criticism of no checks and balances would have to be censored.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
As they wander the morass quietly looking for a suitable replacement for their orange skinned spoiled brat trust fund baby, the Repubs are digging around in their junk yard coming up with has-been losers in order to resurrect them into rabble rousers with certs.

Wait 'til they invoke Reagan's ghost again and how he will raise himself from the grave to save the party from having to support a chronic liar that's crippled himself from being an intellectually addled greed driven narcissist.
Or show some photos of him standing in front of a portrait of honest Abe and 1/2 dozen US flags.

Reactions: tweaker2

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Thoughts????

www.denverpost.com.ico
The Denver Post|17 minutes ago
Russia has begun using the prototype of a new laser weapon in Ukraine that is capable of hitting a target 5 kilometers (3 miles) away, according to Russian Deputy Prime Minister Yuri Borisov.

I have been working with Lasers for the last 27 years and just to get a proper focus on a target at that distance would be nearly in possible. The losses from the atmosphere and contaminates just floating around leaves, birds, smoke etc would severely degrade the beam. Just the distance and power requirements make this crazy for a mobile system.

My vote is this is just bogus, just like all the other crap coming out of Russia.

Last edited:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Long range anti-ship missiles. Ohhh. Guess the coral reef rebuilding project of the Black Sea is getting some bigger investments. :D

I assume this is the NSM shore defense system with a range somewhere in excess of 185km. The US has some options but limited shore launch capability at the moment unless some genius has MacGyver'ed a working integration with Soviet-era aircraft.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
I have been working with Lasers for the last 27 years and just to get a proper focus on a target at that distance would be nearly in possible. The losses from the atmosphere and contaminates just floating around leaves, birds, smoke etc would severely degrade the beam. Just the distance and power requirements make this crazy for a mobile system.

My vote is this is just bogus, just like all the other crap coming out of Russia.

But it worked in Real Genius. Surely Russia wouldn't be lying!

Everybody wants to rule the world

109-Real-Genius-1985.jpg

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011

5 miles? Pfft, they've got nothing on our Jewish space lasers

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999

It's just a laser pointer they plan on shining in the Ukrainians' eyes. Knowing the Russian military, someone probably already sold the laser out of the case, though.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001

What do you think of the 50 kw Laser Weapon that the US Army is developing for the Stryker platform?

https://www.thedefensepost.com/2022/05/17/stryker-laser-mortars-drones/

Reactions: Leeea

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
Perhaps we should setup a mass production line. To replace our entire inventory. Our defense budget could likely handle that.
Well, these are made by the UK (BAE), but I'm sure they'd be happy to take another large order, US has already ordered replacements for the ones sent to Ukraine I understand. And Ukraine could certainly use as many as we can ship them ~ the US has about 900 of them left (was about 1000, minus the 108 already in or approved to go to Ukraine).

We've basically given them 6 battalions (of 3x6 gun battery teams) of artillery, but that isn't nearly sufficient to cover the 700+km of active lines of conflict with Russia, much less when considering the additional 400 odd km of Russian/Ukrainian border not currently being invaded. I believe Ukraine could easily need 5x the amount of artillery granted so far, if they were trying to win a conventional artillery war with Russia.

Ukraine's forces are currently having to either be extremely selective in where they use the longer range NATO artillery, or are dispersing and using it in far smaller than effective battalion strength - and probably both.

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
Reactions: Number1

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
Well, these are made by the UK (BAE), but I'm sure they'd be happy to take another large order, US has already ordered replacements for the ones sent to Ukraine I understand. And Ukraine could certainly use as many as we can ship them ~ the US has about 900 of them left (was about 1000, minus the 108 already in or approved to go to Ukraine).

We've basically given them 6 battalions (of 3x6 gun battery teams) of artillery, but that isn't nearly sufficient to cover the 700+km of active lines of conflict with Russia, much less when considering the additional 400 odd km of Russian/Ukrainian border not currently being invaded. I believe Ukraine could easily need 5x the amount of artillery granted so far, if they were trying to win a conventional artillery war with Russia.

Ukraine's forces are currently having to either be extremely selective in where they use the longer range NATO artillery, or are dispersing and using it in far smaller than effective battalion strength - and probably both.

From what I’ve read they are essentially running it all as separate guns that fire around 3 shells and move. If their targeting data is good and their fire is at specific targets of opportunity this is probably the best possible use of it.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
What do you think of the 50 kw Laser Weapon that the US Army is developing for the Stryker platform?

https://www.thedefensepost.com/2022/05/17/stryker-laser-mortars-drones/

Interesting. I wonder where and what they are using for a power source. A 50kw laser would need a lot of energy going in to get 50kw out. I know we are working on this and have made great advancements over the last 27 years. When I started working on lasers they were only about 20% effective output so if you input 100 watts you would only get out about 20 watts. Of course that was using light pumps and Nd:YAG technology. We have come a LONG WAY since those days.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it isn't possible. Just highly unlikely the Russians have this technology. The navy has also experimented using lasers for defensive weapons with some success.

But as an offensive weapon - not so much.

Reactions: jman19 and Leeea

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005

They're probably working with Jewish space lasers...the good stuff... :D

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Interesting. I wonder where and what they are using for a power source. A 50kw laser would need a lot of energy going in to get 50kw out. I know we are working on this and have made great advancements over the last 27 years. When I started working on lasers they were only about 20% effective output so if you input 100 watts you would only get out about 20 watts. Of course that was using light pumps and Nd:YAG technology. We have come a LONG WAY since those days.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it isn't possible. Just highly unlikely the Russians have this technology. The navy has also experimented using lasers for defensive weapons with some success.

Depends a lot on your expected rof. If it doesn't need to be too high, you can stack power slowly into capacitor banks for rapid usage, like we do with rail (accelerator, whatever) guns.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001

It appears they are using the 260kw Diesel Engine on the Stryker to charge the batteries for the laser weapon.

The Israeli's have also recently demonstrated a update to Iron Dome called Iron Beam. The Israeli system is supposed to be 300 kw.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
His age, trying to laugh it off.
Actually I thought he looked relatively terrible compared to how he used to look. What he said seemed OK until he had his Freudian slip.

Biden's older but IMO looks better, also has his marbles. Dubya was mainly delivering prepared remarks. Biden is pretty extemporaneous, I think because he figures he doesn't have to hide his true intentions and he's got confidence that if he needs to withhold info he will have the wits to do it on the fly.

Last edited: