Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 489 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
There is a plausible scenario where the Russians start getting outranged by the new artillery we and the Euros are sending and decide to make their AF go look for them. Then surprise each artillery unit has one of these and a half dozen guys with MANPADS waiting.
Against a US air force, that would not be a good plan, but against what the Russians have demonstrated, may very well work. The one big disadvantage of using those radar systems is they are a giant "shoot me now" beacon for long range fire and forget missiles, and a big "stay away" sign for those lacking such missiles. But that requires a competent EW coverage of the battlefield, which Russia has completely and utterly failed at.

Reactions: Leeea and K1052

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
from the Mirror article above...

I remember back in the day, May 9 Victory day was an important day which Soviet leaders had to attend, and anyone not showing up would set off intense speculation and rumors. I guess thats why he delayed it.

this is bullshit.

he needs a worse death than cancer.

Reactions: Number1 and cytg111

H T C

Nov 7, 2018
VLADIMIR Putin is set to undergo an operation for cancer and will hand over power to his hardline spy chief, a Kremlin insider has reportedly claimed.

The Russian tyrant’s health has been source of considerable speculation amid reports that he is battling both abdominal cancer and Parkinson’s Disease...

Hope this is some plan to ease him out of power and end the war. But unfortunately his replacement looks to be an even bigger warmonger than he is. Still, you never know...
Ohhhhhh no: say it ain't so!!!

Cancer got Putin disease ...

Poor Cancer ... whatever did you do to get that terrible TERRIBLE disease?

Nov 17, 2019
Ohhhhhh no: say it ain't so!!!

Cancer got Putin disease ...

Poor Cancer ... whatever did you do to get that terrible TERRIBLE disease?
Reminds me of the episode where Al gets shocked while putting up Christmas lights and 'dies'. Sam Kinison plays an Angel sent down to do whatever Angels do in those stories. When he meets Al and realizes who his mark is, he does his NOOOOoooo scream

Katey Sagal - I Have To Go Now, My Planet Needs Me
The Ultimate Guy's Christmas Episode

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
this is bullshit.

he needs a worse death than cancer.
Suits me just fine. Whatever kills him, I just want it to be soon, very soon. I don't give a rats ass whether he suffers or not.
Once he's dead, the Ukrainians will stop suffering. That's the important bit.

Reactions: pcgeek11

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Getting rid of an deeply entrenched dictatorship will take some kind of monumental upheaval that makes chances of that happening remote. If anything, maybe a slow burn kind of change like the Repubs are operating here in the USA could work but I doubt it. Getting the truth out to the people of Russia after so many years of being propagandized will be difficult in the sense that they're used to being that way and guys like Navalny are always a moment away from being killed off.

It seems to me things need to get a lot worse for the average Russian before the current corrupt gang of authoritarians can be ousted. More of the same looks to be in the tarot cards for Russia.
Watch that video I posted in this thread this morning, it's an interview of a guy who understands the Russian federation. Many states have resistance movements itching for a chance to break away from Russia's control. Don't assume it will be difficult. The breakup of the Soviet Union could be just a precursor to what we'll see in a few short years. What's happening right now will not solidify Russia's control on its federation states, the opposite is what is happening.

Last edited:
Reactions: tweaker2

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
Watch that video I posted in this thread this morning, it's an interview of a guy who understands the Russian federation. Many states have resistance movements itching for a chance to break away from Russia's control. Don't assume it will be difficult. The breakup of the Soviet Union could be just a precursor to what we'll see in a few short years. What's happening right now will not solidify Russia's control on its federation states, the opposite is what is happening.
the guy in the video is presenting a very ideal case scenario.

the breakup of russia into some sort of moscow centric region and fragmenting off of enough chunks to render it unable to control thru imperialism has some parallels with the soviet union collapse, but the w.bush administration was fed all sorts of rosy forcasts from exiled afghans/iraqis and while some welcomed us with open arms others not so much.

the propaganda addicted moscow population and oligarchs arent going to surrender their nukes unless they are so poorly maintained that none are functional and selling them to the west for dismantlement is the only value. whoever takes over after putin isnt going to give up the threat of even non-functional nukes. unless the war in ukraine eats up so much of the national guard (Rosgvardiya) and their equipment that there is absolutely no one to retake those small breakaway territories, a west friendly succession is unlikely.

add to that china and india arent going to want russia to lose their seat at the diplomatic/UN table or their influence in the BRICS block. they could easily prop up a west-unfriendly successor. whatever is left is more likely to become a chinese vassal state.

it would be nice if the breakup happened but it is just improbable.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
NATO military exercises across Europe:

NATO military exercises in Sweden & Finland:

Large scale military exercises in Poland starting tomorrow:
The Polish Defense Ministry has announced that a massive military exercise will start tomorrow and that there will be military columns moving on roads across the country. Poles aren’t to post pictures of it online.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Are they really expecting it to not be posted? What century do they live in?

This is the generation where we get war footage straight from Tik Tok first.

Last edited:

DisarmedDespot

Jun 2, 2016
Are they really expecting it to not be posted? What century do they live in?

This is the generation where we get war footage straight from Tok Tok first.
I mean, that's exactly why they're asking them not to. Same as Ukraine telling their troops not to post photos or shit due to geotagging giving shit away.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Not sure how he knows what the US has been thinking about how to respond to tactical nuclear weapon use.

The US only has so many delivery platforms tho. Outside of an ICBM or SLBM launch, the most viable platform would be the B2.

A non nuclear reply could be viable tho, IMO.

Hunt down and kill their entire surface fleet, including all the attack submarines in port. Do the no-fly zone and expand it 200km into Russia. Something like that.

Killing a quarter million civilians should be a last resort.
ALCMs from B-52s or a Tomahawk would probably the most likely. Both carry the W80 variable yield tactical warhead. I believe the B-2 can only carry gravity dropped B61s.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011

Oh good, the breakup of the country with the largest nuclear arsenal in the world. What could go wrong?

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Oh good, the breakup of the country with the largest nuclear arsenal in the world. What could go wrong?

The existence of nuclear weapons is simple, really, because death is the price we must ultimately pay. Every additional country with them is a ticking time bomb. This is why there are hostile moves made against proliferation. And why some would argue that wiping nations like Iran off the face of the earth can be justified for the threat their nuclear programs would one day pose.

If I have witnessed anything since 2016, it is this. Humans are irrational, emotional, animals. We cannot be trusted with making rational decisions, and nuclear weapons, MAD, requires rational thinking. Nothing Russia has done this year assuages my concern, and only affirms this guiding principle... this fear. That one day all nations will be doomed by inviting madness. Because we are only human, and our touch with reality is only temporary. Lasting only as long as our conditioning with faith to uphold honor, integrity, and scientific principles.

We are witness to how easily those things are discarded. Human nature is antithetical to them. Sanity is a garden that requires constant vigilance, and we took it for granted.

Reactions: Leeea and cytg111

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
More reports of problems in Russian territory today. Munitions dump fire near Belgorod and a rail bridge "collapsed" in the Kursk region.

Reactions: Roger Wilco

RnR_au

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2021
More reports of problems in Russian territory today. Munitions dump fire near Belgorod and a rail bridge "collapsed" in the Kursk region.
Just on this, a couple of interesting articles;

Reactions: Muse

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Interesting. ....maybe we should ship in additional truckloads of vodka to Russia, if they are now having trouble making their own, of course, to at least encourage hundreds more of these possible Yuris to engage in thousands more such accidents.

Reactions: Number1

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

Does seem like a combination of Russian incompetence/corruption and Ukrainian efforts to hit them in places they can't defend well. Russia does not have the manpower to protect facilities and infrastructure across the Kursk and Belgorod Oblasts.

Ukrainians are also steadily clearing out Russian positions to the north and northeast of Kharkiv which is going to soon expose much of the thrust south to artillery fire complements of the M777s and Excaliburs Ukraine is getting.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Interesting. ....maybe we should ship in additional truckloads of vodka to Russia, if they are now having trouble making their own, of course, to at least encourage hundreds more of these possible Yuris to engage in thousands more such accidents.

We may yet have found a use for Nord Stream 2. Just in the opposite direction carrying a different product...

• Haha
Reactions: Ajay and zinfamous