Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 351 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 17, 2019
ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — New York plans to light up One World Trade Center, Niagara Falls and other state landmarks blue and yellow in solidarity with Ukraine Thursday.

Gov. Kathy Hochul said the date marks one month since the beginning of the Russian invasion. The Ukrainian flag will also fly on the Capitol building and the governor's official residence in Albany.

The Democratic governor has signed executive orders prohibiting state agencies and public authorities from doing business with Russia or contracting with companies still doing business with Russia.

Other landmarks that will shine blue and yellow include the Governor Mario M. Cuomo Bridge, Empire State Plaza in Albany, the New York State Fairgrounds, Grand Central Terminal and Fairport Lift Bridge over the Erie Canal.

Who will have the first pictures to post here?

adamsleath

May 4, 2007
Ukrainian presidential aide says Russians in Kiyiv province are boned.

a 'mini stalingrad' moment (reversed) for the russians there?

more and more embarassing defeat moments for da russian army.

im morbidly fascinated yet horrified. i find this whole invasion lip curlingly unpleasant. i reckon if i'd had the option i would have fled the country. or at least into Lviv area. long since. kudos i spose to the resistance there. have to hand it to them. and their suppliers too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Captante

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
The US isn’t exactly in need of land based coastal defences.
but some allied countries probably do.
we're been selling Harpoon missiles to allies for 4 decades.

noone thought using them for coastal defense? ie: Greece?

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
I don't know about them using only the best in the south. There was the whole landing with VDV at hostomel that didn't quite work out (and other places). Those guys are considered elite, and even have their own national holiday. I don't think you would risk landing them in hostile territory and then hope the conscripts coming down from Belarus could relieve them in time.

I think the plan was to get to Kiev as fast as possible and you would want to use your best troops to do that. Well that, and it really doesn't seem like they expected much resistance either. Maybe they thought it would be Crimea invasion part 2, and that it would be a cake walk.

Below is a link to a video analysis some guy did regarding Russian equipment losses versus quality though its not by region.

Sending their best analysis
he did a folllow up with a breakdown of why UKR is doing so well vs rus.
the icbm, subs, navy and all the ancient tanks are functionally irrelevant in the battle; the UA has done a ton of prep work in building their forces up do fight a land war. too many officers, etc.

one of the main things that explains a lot about the RA is the conscription service term. back in the cold war it was 3 years of service '49-'67. then it went to 2 years '67-'08. in 2008 it was down to 1 year of service. 1 year and no retention of institutional knowledge in the career soldiers means you arent going to be able to teach/learn how to fight properly. add in the corruption bleeding money resulting in no practice time with live ammo/fuel and this is entirely reasonable.

beau did a vid about the only thing that makes sense of the dereliction in leadership.
they believed their own propaganda and went in treating it as a parade exercise.

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
but some allied countries probably do.
we're been selling Harpoon missiles to allies for 4 decades.

noone thought using them for coastal defense? ie: Greece?

Most western nations have significant air and naval assets, fixed site coastal defences are east and obvious targets. It’s a doctrinal thing, you don’t develop weapons that your doctrine doesn’t call for.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
I wonder if the Pentagon is "helping" the Ukrainians with on the field tactics. And when I say "helping" I mean heavily heavily involved.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
If Russia nukes Ukraine, that does not kill any one of us.
If we uphold MAD and counter launch against Russia for that, everyone dies.

Under this principle, Russia would certainly take a bet that winning the war through WMD is going to be necessary and logical. That we would not kill ourselves for Ukraine.

We may not be willing to attack Russia's military and call their bluff. But let's not think for a second that Putin will hesitate to call ours. What would we REALLY do if Putin kills everyone in Kyiv? He was going to do that with conventional weapons. Soon he may realize his goal can only be achieved through WMD. How different will the punishment be, when the crime was always going to be genocide?

We have already declared that we will not step in to stop a conventional genocide.
Why would we step in to stop any other sort?

well, you're right.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — New York plans to light up One World Trade Center, Niagara Falls and other state landmarks blue and yellow in solidarity with Ukraine Thursday.

Gov. Kathy Hochul said the date marks one month since the beginning of the Russian invasion. The Ukrainian flag will also fly on the Capitol building and the governor's official residence in Albany.

The Democratic governor has signed executive orders prohibiting state agencies and public authorities from doing business with Russia or contracting with companies still doing business with Russia.

Other landmarks that will shine blue and yellow include the Governor Mario M. Cuomo Bridge, Empire State Plaza in Albany, the New York State Fairgrounds, Grand Central Terminal and Fairport Lift Bridge over the Erie Canal.

Symbolic but sometimes you need it

Reactions: Roger Wilco

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
We have already declared that we will not step in to stop a conventional genocide.
Why would we step in to stop any other sort?
The US and Europe have spent way too much effort declaring loudly what we will not do, to appease domestic audiences. But I can’t think of a worse possible negotiation strategy with Russia, short of I surrender.

We’ve in effect point blank told Putin do whatever you want to Ukraine or any other country, as long as they’re not NATO we won’t intervene.

At least a few less dim bulbs have gotten through on policy, finally officially put some critically needed ambiguity back on the table to at least make Putin think twice - specifically in regards to any use of WMD.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Most western nations have significant air and naval assets, fixed site coastal defences are east and obvious targets. It’s a doctrinal thing, you don’t develop weapons that your doctrine doesn’t call for.
They don't need to be fixed. Harpoons could be truck mounted, just like SAM batteries. If the terrain and roads favored it, they would be formidable.

Reactions: Dave_5k

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
They don't need to be fixed. Harpoons could be truck mounted, just like SAM batteries. If the terrain and roads favored it, they would be formidable.
Sadly, the profit margins of our most important citizens go down if you mount them on a $40,000 truck instead of $100 million planes and $1 billion ships…

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004

Did it really take NYC this long? ATL lit up the airport blue and yellow weeks ago*.

*Unfortunately it was only for a couple nights.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999

Saw this in DFW the other day. Figured it is probably one of the biggest Ukrainian flags in the world.

IMG_20220324_204622.jpg

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Interesting side note on the Switchblade drones expected in Ukraine shortly - the US is providing 100 systems with 10 drones each, not just 100 drones. Source: Washington Post article today (paywall, sorry)
I wonder if the switchblade 600 could be used as a makeshift anti ship missile

55412889-0-image-a-124_1647409765855.jpg

25 miles seems like at least semi-usable range