Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 1436 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Young Grasshopper

Nov 9, 2007
Russia experiencing the full weight of US air power would be an exceedingly unpleasant experience for them.

Putin would be on the phone after a week begging for it to stop.

Bud, they will let Ukraine collapse before they attack the Russian directly.

And they are more than welcome to use direct ‘US airpower’ against the Russians anytime they want. I wonder why they haven’t done so yet?

I mean we’re talking about the same country that is too chicken to put boots on the ground in Yemen despite their ships getting attacked daily in the Red Sea by the Houthi’s.

Try winning a war against an actual military with planes, tanks, and boats first before talking tough. We all saw how useless ‘US Airpower’ was in Afghanistan.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

And they are more than welcome to use direct ‘US airpower’ against the Russians anytime they want. I wonder why they haven’t done so yet?

I mean we’re talking about the same country that is too chicken to put boots on the ground in Yemen despite their ships getting attacked daily in the Red Sea by the Houthi’s.

Try winning a war against an actual military with planes, tanks, and boats first before talking tough. We all saw how useless ‘US Airpower’ was in Afghanistan.

The US will never be the first mover in this situation except in certain circumstances (telling Putin do not use nukes in Ukraine or we will kick your shit in).

The model for what would happen is not Afghanistan. The model is Iraq, minus the invasion and occupation, where we rapidly liquidated everything that dared poke its head out. The damage that we could deal the Russians in short order would be nothing less than catastrophic.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

When the US invaded Iraq the Iraqi Air Force was roughly the same size as Ukraine’s in 2022 and Iraq had twice as many tanks. The US annihilated them in six weeks, with almost no casualties. Russia has been trying to defeat Ukraine for two years and has lost half the territory it took in the initial invasion while suffering hundreds of thousands of dead and wounded.

I know you desperately want Russia to be a military peer to the US but the proof is in the pudding. You have no chance and you know it.

Reactions: dainthomas

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

Wait I thought your back ground story was you pretending to be a US citizen. I think you need to read the script again.

Reactions: Meghan54

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
When the US invaded Iraq the Iraqi Air Force was roughly the same size as Ukraine’s in 2022 and Iraq had twice as many tanks. The US annihilated them in six weeks, with almost no casualties. Russia has been trying to defeat Ukraine for two years and has lost half the territory it took in the initial invasion while suffering hundreds of thousands of dead and wounded.

I know you desperately want Russia to be a military peer to the US but the proof is in the pudding. You have no chance and you know it.

As the one country in the world with an exceptional record of incinerating huge masses of Russian made equipment and we keep getting better at it:

8lsmz7.jpg

Zor Prime

Golden Member
Nov 7, 1999
Set a timer, let's see how long it takes Russia to take Chasiv Yar. Will be a good scale to gauge things. Seems as though initial contact has occurred over the last day.

• Love
Reactions: Young Grasshopper

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Delightful program they have. What could go wrong?

A court in Russia’s Siberian region of Yakutia sentenced him to 11 years in a maximum-security prison. So when recruiters from the private Wagner mercenary group offered him freedom and a clean slate if he deployed to fight in Ukraine, Mr. Savvinov, a morgue orderly, seized the opportunity.

By February, Mr. Savvinov had completed his service and was back in his native village of Kutana. That month, on Defenders of the Fatherland Day, he was staggering drunk around the snowy streets, residents said, complaining loudly that villagers showed him insufficient respect as a veteran. The next night, he murderedtwo of them, according to a law enforcement report, striking a male drinking buddy dead with a metal crowbar before killing his own estranged aunt, who lived next door, by axing her in the head, and then torching her wooden house.

Russia’s practice of recruiting convicts has been the backbone of its success in Ukraine, providing an overwhelming manpower advantage in the war. But it is backfiring in tragic ways as inmates pardoned for serving in Ukraine return to Russia and commit new crimes.

Dec 10, 2005
To strike the Russians.
Fire begets fire. Russians are using chemical weapons, Ukraine must be supplied in equal measure.
Normalizing and expanding the use of chemical weapons is a bad thing. Also, Ukraine would just be potentially poising themselves - presumably, they want their land back, not tainted for the next half century because they decided to use chemical weapons.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Normalizing and expanding the use of chemical weapons is a bad thing. Also, Ukraine would just be potentially poising themselves - presumably, they want their land back, not tainted for the next half century because they decided to use chemical weapons.
The reason Russia is using them (IMO) is because they are incapable of serious maneuver warfare and they (correctly) think Ukraine will not retaliate due to western sensibilities.

But seriously the main reason the US should oppose chemical weapons is it decreases our battlefield advantage. Once chemicals are introduced our troops have to get into MOPP gear, and those are slow, hot, and cumbersome. The US Army moves fast.

I don’t think there is anything morally different between killing someone with gas or killing them by blowing them up. The only question is advantage.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Looks like Putin is about to take another big kick to his shriveled balls. All the genocide cheerleaders not at all insecure about Russia being broke AF should love this: China, Turkey, the United Arab Emirates, and India, suggest they are becoming more cautious of U.S. secondary sanctions. But but... we were told sanctions weren't working!

"A number of large banks in China have stopped accepting payments from sanctioned Russian financial institutions, and banks in Armenia and Kyrgyzstan are no longer accepting cards that use the Russian Mir payment system, Moscow's alternative to Visa and Mastercard, after they suspended operations in the country over the war in Ukraine.

India, once a top purchaser of Russian oil, is reported to have stopped paying for Russian premium crude oil. Meanwhile, Russian oil firms are facing delays of up to several months to be paid for crude and fuel as banks in China, Turkey and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) fear retaliation from the United States, Reuters reported on March 27."

375px-Ha_Ha.jpeg

India saying no thanks to cheap crude, for 2 months? Chinese banks starting to say No Service? *sad trombone* Suck it down cyka

Last edited:

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Maybe I just don't understand warfare but how do people survive an explosion like that?

Luck. Sure isn't by design with Russian vehicles.

Also, running away doesn't automatically mean survival. A bunch of those guys are probably leakin, and in shock.

That was some impressive clown car action there though. Those things aren't known for their comfort.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Norway to double it's defense spending over next 12 years

“This plan represents a historic boost in defence spending, and involves a significant strengthening of all branches of the Armed Forces,” Støre is quoted as saying in a Norwegian government statement published on Friday to launch the defense plan. “The Norwegian government proposes to spend a total of NOK 1.6 trillion ($150 billion) on Norway’s defence over the next twelve years, until 2036,” noted the statement. “By then, the defence budget will be almost twice as large as it is today, measured in real value.”

A country of 5million people swingin $150billion they will devote to denying Russia it's agenda of conquest.

Meanwhile Russia is getting poorer, while devoting larger portions of what it does have to prop up it's crumbling military. Good times. Couldn't happen to a nicer collection of fuckwits and war criminals.

Reactions: RnR_au

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Meanwhile Russia is getting poorer, while devoting larger portions of what it does have to prop up it's crumbling military. Good times.
Hmm, didn’t Russia do that once b/4? *checks notes*. Oh yeah, funding the Cold War and then, on top of that, their war in Afghanistan. That all ended so well for Russia.