Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 1428 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Damn, way to go Britain. I think that does indeed qualify as a shit ton. They used decoys too? Black Sea fleet isn't long for this world.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Damn, way to go Britain. I think that does indeed qualify as a shit ton. They used decoys too? Black Sea fleet isn't long for this world.
Not sure if there's enough of it left to call it a fleet anymore. More like a black sea flotilla or squadron. Or reef I guess... more below water than above it at this point.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Ukraine really lit the shit out of the Crimea / Black Sea Fleet.

In obvious tit-for-tat blows I'm looking forward to seeing what Russia's response is because that was just a devastating development for Russia. Down to three troop transports. Apparently Ukraine has a shit ton of Storm Shadows on hand to fire 40 in what I imagine amounts to one large volley.
Did Ukraine say 40 or did Russia say 40; i.e, i suspect it was less than 40 storm shadows with Russia upping the number to make it look like a massive attack to justify their inability to defend against a couple of missiles ;)

Reactions: cytg111

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
The Russians always lie and to launch such an attack the Ukrainians would have to put 20 Fencers in the air at the same time which seems unlikely.

Russian descriptions of attacks are not to be trusted. They routinely say all missiles were "intercepted" when there is clear video of missiles impacting on target.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
The Russians always lie and to launch such an attack the Ukrainians would have to put 20 Fencers in the air at the same time which seems unlikely.

Russian descriptions of attacks are not to be trusted. They routinely say all missiles were "intercepted" when there is clear video of missiles impacting on target.
I mean technically theyre correct if the missile is intercepted by the target 😂

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

Sometimes you use a ship to intercept a missile. #russiandefense

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Of late, there has been a focus on Czech Republic finding and working to secure up to 1.5 million artillery shells.

Fact is, even if fully provided to Ukraine. 1.5 million shells is only 4,000 /day. Far less than Russians use. Full scale industrial war requires a lot of ammo. A lot more. Maybe drones can fill the gap.
After this development I was cautiously optimistic at first, until I saw today's article on how Governments are drawing plans for the fall of Kyiv. Our betrayal of Ukraine is bringing a worst case scenario closer into focus.

I do not know how easily it could be realized. Of how much fight is left in Ukraine in both manpower and supplies, but the risk is very much real.

Ukraine Closes In on 1.5M NATO Artillery Shell Boost

The Czech Republic, one of Ukraine's staunchest supporters, has identified approximately 700,000 new shells that could be funneled to Ukraine, in addition to the 800,000 rounds of artillery ammunition that Prague had pinpointed earlier this year, according to The Wall Street Journal.
Ammunition has become an urgent need for Ukraine in its fight against Russia's invasion. Kyiv's fighters are thought to be firing around a fifth of the ammunition Russia's troops are able to use up. Ukrainian officials and Western analysts have said Ukraine's operations have been restrained by shell famine as Russian forces inch westward.
Approximately $3.3 billion would be needed to secure the 1.5 million shells, WSJ reported, citing Czech officials.

It’s time we talked about the fall of Kyiv

Far from this being a frozen conflict, a nightmare scenario is edging into view because the West is failing to send arms
Iain Martin Wednesday March 27 2024, 10.00pm BST, The Times
This is the nightmare scenario now being contemplated by western policymakers. Events are forcing military and civilian leaders in London, Washington, Paris and Brussels to map out the catastrophic collapse of Ukrainian forces denied the weapons and munitions they need.
Contrary to the predominant view that this is a perpetual “frozen conflict”, with neither side able to win a decisive advantage, the front line is bitterly contested and there is a real risk of Ukrainian forces being pushed back. Nato leaders must hope their gathering in Washington in July for a summit celebrating the 75th anniversary of the alliance is not consumed by such a crisis.
The governments who support Ukraine most strongly are clearly worried and considering even the worst scenarios. The US Treasury secretary, Janet Yellen, has issued several warnings that Ukraine is running out of money, while urging Congress to pass the aid bill that is stuck amid legislative infighting. The US risked being responsible for Ukraine’s defeat, she said.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Of late, there has been a focus on Czech Republic finding and working to secure up to 1.5 million artillery shells.

Fact is, even if fully provided to Ukraine. 1.5 million shells is only 4,000 /day. Far less than Russians use. Full scale industrial war requires a lot of ammo. A lot more.

Ukraine is still receiving ammunition from European contracts, USAI contract, sovereign donations, and their own (if limited) domestic production. In addition to shells that will be coming from the Czech initiative.

At the peak of their counter offensive efforts Ukraine was expending 6-7K shells per day. Recently they'd dropped back as far as 1-2K per day due to shortages. 4K per day is probably pretty acceptable for a defensive action especially if some percentage of those are DPICM rounds which are much more effective than unitary. Recent videos indicate that Ukraine has received more of these lately.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Republicans taking Ukraine hostage under Trump's orders is something I will never forget. Seems to me it's another obligatory favor he's gifting his Russian manager over at the Kremlin with, and millions of rank and file Republicans are signifying their approval by their silence.

Their religious fundies are silent due to their being busy exploiting McConnell's stacking the SCOTUS with activist religious fundies of their very own, the nationalists are too busy attempting to push Trump as their isolationist dream come true, the militias are regaling over their being recruited by Trump as his personal stand back/stand by shock troops, and the racists of the nation are stupid drunk over the fact that they have one of their very own at the top of the food chain giving them status, recognition and legitimacy that was taken from them back in the 60's.

In their short-sighted selfishness, they are willing to sacrifice Ukraine's nascent democracy and the added security it brings to our existing democracies for what, a dictatorship at home led by a very well kompromized and vulnerable dictator-wanna-be whose own selfishness is prioritized over the very safety and security of the nation he wants to lord over? Really?

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Republicans taking Ukraine hostage under Trump's orders is something I will never forget. Seems to me it's another obligatory favor he's gifting his Russian manager over at the Kremlin with, and millions of rank and file Republicans are signifying their approval by their silence.

Their religious fundies are silent due to their being busy exploiting McConnell's stacking the SCOTUS with activist religious fundies of their very own, the nationalists are too busy attempting to push Trump as their isolationist dream come true, the militias are regaling over their being recruited by Trump as his personal stand back/stand by shock troops, and the racists of the nation are stupid drunk over the fact that they have one of their very own at the top of the food chain giving them status, recognition and legitimacy that was taken from them back in the 60's.

In their short-sighted selfishness, they are willing to sacrifice Ukraine's nascent democracy and the added security it brings to our existing democracies for what, a dictatorship at home led by a very well kompromized and vulnerable dictator-wanna-be whose own selfishness is prioritized over the very safety and security of the nation he wants to lord over? Really?
Monsters walk amongst us.

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
Not that specific report, but it is sad that is now simply taken as normal that Russia is repeatedly and openly committing grave violations of every single element of the Geneva Conventions war crimes lists - almost as if they are using it as their daily "to do" checklist in Ukraine.

And that's just the stuff we find out about, undoubtedly orders of magnitude far worse and in far larger numbers than the rare examples that actually manage to get reported - as Russia is providing precisely zero access to any international agencies, independent press, or monitors of any kind behind its lines.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Not that specific report, but it is sad that is now simply taken as normal that Russia is repeatedly and openly committing grave violations of every single element of the Geneva Conventions war crimes lists - almost as if they are using it as their daily "to do" checklist in Ukraine.

And that's just the stuff we find out about, undoubtedly orders of magnitude far worse and in far larger numbers than the rare examples that actually manage to get reported - as Russia is providing precisely zero access to any international agencies, independent press, or monitors of any kind behind its lines.

I always assume soviet army doing soviet army things and am rarely proved wrong in my expectations.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000

Ukraine Is Now 'Holy War,' Russian Church Declares

The Russian Orthodox Church said that the war in Ukraine is "defending the single spiritual space of Holy Russia."

Only thing holey in Russia is Vlad's brain.

Not intending to divert, just mentioning that churches the world over have their own unique survival instincts and will make the "necessary adjustments" to keep their place of influence over their memberships in the nations they exist in. Was interesting to me how in WWII, various Christian nations, especially their troops getting shelled in their foxholes and trenches on both sides of the conflict prayed to the same God wishing for Him to give them His blessings to kill their evil Satanic enemies before they get killed themselves.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Not intending to divert, just mentioning that churches the world over have their own unique survival instincts and will make the "necessary adjustments" to keep their place of influence over their memberships in the nations they exist in. Was interesting to me how in WWII, various Christian nations, especially their troops getting shelled in their foxholes and trenches on both sides of the conflict prayed to the same God wishing for Him to give them His blessings to kill their evil Satanic enemies before they get killed themselves.

Gott mit uns.

Reactions: tweaker2