Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 1301 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Reactions: Drach and pcgeek11

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
Looks like the Republicans are trying to "own the libs" by making sure Russia wins.

White House Warns Money for Ukraine Will Run Out by Year’s End

Young used Monday’s letter to make the case to skeptical Republicans in Congress that funding will offer direct benefits to the U.S. by boosting the American defense industry. Sixty-percent of the money that has been approved so far by Congress has supported the U.S. defense industrial base or boosted Defense Department and intelligence operations, she wrote.

“That has improved our own military readiness since DOD is buying new equipment to replace what we are sending Ukraine, jump-starting and expanding production lines, and is supporting good-paying jobs in dozens of states across the country,” she wrote, adding that Biden’s recent request for additional money would funnel tens of billions of additional dollars to the U.S. defense industry.

Reactions: hal2kilo

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Looks like the Republicans are trying to "own the libs" by making sure Russia wins.

White House Warns Money for Ukraine Will Run Out by Year’s End

Young used Monday’s letter to make the case to skeptical Republicans in Congress that funding will offer direct benefits to the U.S. by boosting the American defense industry. Sixty-percent of the money that has been approved so far by Congress has supported the U.S. defense industrial base or boosted Defense Department and intelligence operations, she wrote.

“That has improved our own military readiness since DOD is buying new equipment to replace what we are sending Ukraine, jump-starting and expanding production lines, and is supporting good-paying jobs in dozens of states across the country,” she wrote, adding that Biden’s recent request for additional money would funnel tens of billions of additional dollars to the U.S. defense industry.

Admin is trying to put pressure on the Rs. There is still nearly $5B in untapped drawdown authority.

From what I read the border provisions in the supplemental are hung up on humanitarian parole which the Rs want to eliminate but the D's won't agree to. Changes to asylum procedure apparently were the easy part then Rs started demanding this.

Reactions: Roger Wilco

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Ukrainian production of their native 2S22 gun hits 6 units a month and they are eyeing more. They need to replace a large amount of Soviet caliber pieces so if they can get production ramped up a bit more this would go a long way over time. More recent units have been seen with an autoloader like Caesar.

More 155/L52 guns is good since they have greater range than any tubes in the Russian arsenal.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
Admin is trying to put pressure on the Rs. There is still nearly $5B in untapped drawdown authority.

From what I read the border provisions in the supplemental are hung up on humanitarian parole which the Rs want to eliminate but the D's won't agree to. Changes to asylum procedure apparently were the easy part then Rs started demanding this.
These sentences below make it sound like there is almost nothing left that hasn't been allocated already.

Federal agencies have spent all or nearly all of the $111 billion in supplemental funding approved by Congress to support Ukraine. As of mid-November, the Defense Department had used 97% of the money it received and the State Department had spent 100% of the military assistance-related funding it received, according to the letter. Other pots of aid are similarly depleted.

Pentagon officials said they had issued contracts for all of the $10.5 billion in available funds for new weapons for Ukraine, and have only a little left to replenish U.S. stocks after spending $16.8 billion on missile-defense systems, artillery shells, tanks and other equipment.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
These sentences below make it sound like there is almost nothing left that hasn't been allocated already.

Federal agencies have spent all or nearly all of the $111 billion in supplemental funding approved by Congress to support Ukraine. As of mid-November, the Defense Department had used 97% of the money it received and the State Department had spent 100% of the military assistance-related funding it received, according to the letter. Other pots of aid are similarly depleted.

Pentagon officials said they had issued contracts for all of the $10.5 billion in available funds for new weapons for Ukraine, and have only a little left to replenish U.S. stocks after spending $16.8 billion on missile-defense systems, artillery shells, tanks and other equipment.

USAI is all spent along with the economic assistance from State Dept. $4.8B remains in presidential drawdown authority. I think the account that's used to rebuy stuff provided is likely what's lower (various sources seem to indicate under $1B now). The admin could shift to providing more items they do not intend to replace however or that are being superseded by new systems.

Edit: probably should clarify that under contacts let in USAI and ones have yet to be signed Ukraine will still be receiving US made munitions for some time as companies make delivery over the next year or two

Last edited:

RnR_au

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2021
Euro arty ammo production has begun. Only low 10's of thousands and for delivery in 2025.

Hopefully more contracts are on its way.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Yeah it sucks, going to get lean for ammo for awhile. That's why it's so important to give Ukraine accurate weapons, they make every shot count. If things get bad I'm sure Ukraine will suddenly get emergency, 'under the table' loads of small arms and mortar ammo from various European countries.

I thought this was another promising development in Ukrainian creativity and adaptability. It's like they say, necessity is the mother of invention. But war is the father. Need to save on ammo and men?

An automatic, maneuvering CROWS with a very high percentage of accuracy sounds like a good idea to me. Sentry turrets! Can't wait to see the 4shot LAW upgrade. :smile:

Last edited:

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Yeah it sucks, going to get lean for ammo for awhile. That's why it's so important to give Ukraine accurate weapons, they make every shot count. If things get bad I'm sure Ukraine will suddenly get emergency, 'under the table' loads of small arms and mortar ammo from various European countries.

I though this was another promising development in Ukrainian creativity and adaptability. It's like they say, necessity is the mother of invention. But war is the father. Need to save on ammo and men?

Lol, that is 100% OpenCV running on an Android phone. Amazing it's not been done already.

Most of it would take ChatGPT coding skills to get running, the bit you'd have to do yourself is depth perception; two phones and make a protocol to agree on targets.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Lol, that is 100% OpenCV running on an Android phone. Amazing it's not been done already.

Most of it would take ChatGPT coding skills to get running, the bit you'd have to do yourself is depth perception; two phones and make a protocol to agree on targets.
I remember seeing a YouTube vid maybe a decade ago of some guy that rigged up a paintball gun to a turret, all home built. He mounted it on his suburban roof top (single story) and had 90%+ accuracy on test vehicle drive-by's with less than a second from movement on range to time to first firing. It was impressive.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003

One of the biggest mistakes Putin made was invading a country with over a million smart phones watching his people do everything, including use smart phones themselves and in ways that revealed their positions. Just had to leave those networks up. Ukraine's use of higher end consumer grade electronics has made such a difference; smart phones, 3D printers, drones obviously, which are like force multipliers squared when you factor in they can negate trenches.

Not long ago a friend and I were discussing a 3d printed frame that accepts a single rifle, extended magazine, cel phone mount, and compartment containing battery, motors and actuators. Phone's camera is boresighted, the right software and it could detect and engage low flying drones at short ranges. Mount them to the tops of houses in defensive patterns, turn entire neighborhoods into short term drone barriers. Could help those Gepards tend to bigger, higher targets in times of need maybe.

Reactions: Perknose

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Not long ago a friend and I were discussing a 3d printed frame that accepts a single rifle, extended magazine, cel phone mount, and compartment containing battery, motors and actuators. Phone's camera is boresighted, the right software and it could detect and engage low flying drones at short ranges. Mount them to the tops of houses in defensive patterns, turn entire neighborhoods into short term drone barriers. Could help those Gepards tend to bigger, higher targets in times of need maybe.
You'd probably me limited to out at 50-100 meters right? That's still a hell of a lot better than a direct hit (if it disables the sucker... I'd expect these suckers to have some sort of kinetic trigger though).

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

And even that is ready to go.
I love OpenCV.

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
'Degraded you say? What degraded mean?'

Putin Ally Predicts Baltic States Will Fall to Russia in 15 Minutes of War

Pundit Stanislav Krapivnik suggested that the Baltics would be next in Russia's quest to restore its empire.

Ah you see Russians don't tell time like the rest of us. We know 3 Russian Days is well over 600 Western Days based on their '3 day's war in Ukraine' but we don't yet have enough information to do the conversation

I'm getting some real AT-AT vibes from that thing

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Ah you see Russians don't tell time like the rest of us. We know 3 Russian Days is well over 600 Western Days based on their '3 day's war in Ukraine' but we don't yet have enough information to do the conversation

I'm getting some real AT-AT vibes from that thing
Reminds me of the sentry guns from the special editions of Aliens

61BCF96EA53454B1EBE4519E4BC0A6DDB17211A0

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
There is also this effort;

The Russians may have drones in the air, but they surely don't communicate well with those on the ground.

A perfect example of two very motivated troops vs. a bunch of unwilling conscripts trying not to die. No organized push on the UKR fighting hole witnessed in that clip. No flanking, no deceptive maneuvering, no suppressing fire to speak of. Just some boys dressed up as soldiers with no leadership other than that drone jockey directing those doomed young'uns to their deaths.

Reactions: RnR_au

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
You'd probably me limited to out at 50-100 meters right? That's still a hell of a lot better than a direct hit (if it disables the sucker... I'd expect these suckers to have some sort of kinetic trigger though).

Assuming 5.45x39mm is being used, I'd say they'd be good out to at least 300m. Probably a bit more. I suspect the main range limiting factor would probably be the optics on the phone.

Last edited:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
The R hawks are talking tough about the Ds just taking their demands but there is zero chance they ever agree to this and unless the Rs are going to supply basically all the votes in the House and way more than 10 in the Senate, which seems real unlikely, it would not pass anyway. Most R senators also want the supplemental so everybody is posturing.

Deal probably happens at the WH with Senate leadership when the time comes.