Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 1236 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
The article is suspect in the extreme. For instance, they call them hoagies, not subs, in Azerbaijan.

And the Armenians call them pistols which, as any professional analyst from the region will tell you, is the root of their generations-long conflict.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
No idea what's going on here.

The M39A1 would be very useful against Russian helicopter bases, major air defense sites, and the Bastion-P missile complexes firing Onyx at Odessa. Hopefully it is provided.

I still hate that for some reason we feel the need to provide the Russian's update via Social Media.
I would rather them find out that Ukraine has ATACMS when there crap they thought was safely out of reach starts blowing up.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I still hate that for some reason we feel the need to provide the Russian's update via Social Media.
I would rather them find out that Ukraine has ATACMS when there crap they thought was safely out of reach starts blowing up.

Same but it's just the way they're doing it. I guess they'd rather not surprise the Russians.

Anyway I hope the VKS helicopter pilots enjoy their new much longer commutes from Tagonrog and Yeysk. Going to cut down on their utility quite a bit.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Unfortunately, if Russian shit started blowing up by way of weapon systems Ukraine isn't supposed to have, that could easily be misconstrued as an actual attack on Russia by NATO forces. Which could actually trigger a nuclear response. Better to let them know they're going to get blown up ahead of time.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
The AFU blew up the Black Sea Fleet HQ with a Storm Shadow/SCALP. WW3 yet to break out.

Every time they do this, it makes Biden look worse. Every Russian ship in Sevastopol could be sitting on the bottom of the harbor, instead of starving the world by blockading grain shipments. Every day he dithers costs more lives in Ukraine and around the world.

Reactions: Racan

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
This should open the way for the Germans to start suppling Taurus as well. Fuzing on the MEPHISTO warhead is more sophisticated than the BROACH on the Storm Shadow/SCALP and more range means that a longer indirect route can be utilized which increases the difficulty for Russian AD to intercept. The Germans will want to geofence it but there are still quite a few attractive targets for this system like the naval munitions bunkers in/around around Sevastopol and the Kerch Bridge.

Reactions: Racan

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
The news is full of contradictions isn't it.
Full glad if we start supplying missiles.
Though I might have preferred some with a bunker buster payload, for the bridge. Maybe that will still happen.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
Unfortunately, if Russian shit started blowing up by way of weapon systems Ukraine isn't supposed to have, that could easily be misconstrued as an actual attack on Russia by NATO forces. Which could actually trigger a nuclear response. Better to let them know they're going to get blown up ahead of time.

All the other times that Ukraine has mounted attacks deep into Russia and Crimea beyond the range of what everyone thought Ukraine was capable of has not resulted in a nuclear response. Why are you still worried about this?

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
All the other times that Ukraine has mounted attacks deep into Russia and Crimea beyond the range of what everyone thought Ukraine was capable of has not resulted in a nuclear response. Why are you still worried about this?
Because they weren't done with western weapons they weren't supposed to have. They were done with either western weapons they are supposed to have which the west has publicly stated as such, or with homebrew Ukrainian weapons that Ukraine described either before or after the fact. There's a reason they, too, have been so public with everything they're doing.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
This should open the way for the Germans to start suppling Taurus as well. Fuzing on the MEPHISTO warhead is more sophisticated than the BROACH on the Storm Shadow/SCALP and more range means that a longer indirect route can be utilized which increases the difficulty for Russian AD to intercept. The Germans will want to geofence it but there are still quite a few attractive targets for this system like the naval munitions bunkers in/around around Sevastopol and the Kerch Bridge.
Nothing like using bunker busters for bridge construction destruction!