Russia hacked the vote in 2016

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
And by hacked I mean gained actual access to digital voter data and flipped it over.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/25/us/politics/russian-hacking-elections.html

It says

"t concluded that while there was no evidence that any votes were changed in actual voting machines, “Russian cyberactors were in a position to delete or change voter data” in the Illinois voter database. The committee found no evidence that they did so. "

Now I know the Slow among us will froth at "The committee found no evidence that they did so. "
I also notice the report does not say "found no evidence that they didnt do so. "

Meanwhile Putins Mitch is blocking all cyber security bills in the Senate and Pelosi is blocking Impeachment in the Hose.

Scene : Here's Johnny (Putins head pops through).

edit : It seems voterdata is not actual cast votes. No evidence of actual vote tampering

Last edited:

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
How do you find evidence that somebody didn't do something (prove a negative)?

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
The bad thing about this is if they actually do it in the 2020 election, it probably won't be discovered until after the election. It would cause a bigly Constitutional crisis at that point. Removing a President after he's been inaugurated.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
And by hacked I mean gained actual access to digital voter data and flipped it over.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/25/us/politics/russian-hacking-elections.html

It says

"t concluded that while there was no evidence that any votes were changed in actual voting machines, “Russian cyberactors were in a position to delete or change voter data” in the Illinois voter database. The committee found no evidence that they did so. "

Now I know the Slow among us will froth at "The committee found no evidence that they did so. "
I also notice the report does not say "found no evidence that they didnt do so. "

Meanwhile Putins Mitch is blocking all cyber security bills in the Senate and Pelosi is blocking Impeachment in the Hose.

Scene : Here's Johnny (Putins head pops through).

I like the Moscow Mitch moniker myself. Joe Scarborough coined that this morning and would only refer to the turtle that way this morning after squasing any bils that would fight Russian interference. Mitch thinks it's all partisan bullshit.

Jan 25, 2011
Russia doesn't need to change votes and they know this. They just need to impact enough swing areas to raise doubt about the system. Kinda where we are now. To that end they have been incredibly effective.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Remember, Russia was also hacking the software that powers some voter verification systems, including those in my home district. Not that it would have had any impact in the Presidential election here (Durham County is solid blue and isn't a swing district for electoral math) but our check-in process went haywire on election day, and it could've made a difference in races for Governor and other statewide offices based on popular vote.

Still waiting to hear what DHS says about the 24 Durham laptops that were sent to them for analysis.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Russia doesn't need to change votes and they know this. They just need to impact enough swing areas to raise doubt about the system. Kinda where we are now. To that end they have been incredibly effective.
Its the sum of vectors that makes it effective...

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
It will be ok once Devin Nunes take over the investigations... dont worry...

Luna1968

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2019

did you read the link you posted? "It concluded that while there was no evidence that any votes were changed in actual voting machines, "

Jan 25, 2011
did you read the link you posted? "It concluded that while there was no evidence that any votes were changed in actual voting machines, "
Sure, except

“Russian cyberactors were in a position to delete or change voter data”

They didn't, that time. Those systems are largely all still in place and the same today.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Did you read the post i posted? You.. with the link in it you refer to.
Daaaaaaaaaamn

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
So odd it is that in order to run the nation from a minority status, we find the Republican Party siding with one of the nation's most dangerous adversaries....(for you Trump afflicted supporters, no, it's not the Democrats I'm referring to ;)) for everyone else well yeah, obviously I'm referring to Putin and the Russian oligarchs that own Trump and that country of theirs..............and while Trump is in town, ours too Mr. Kompromat-in-Chief.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Voter data & votes aren't the same thing. Voter data is registration info.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
The article is not really making that distinction? You can assert that it is implied in

"It concluded that while there was no evidence that any votes were changed in actual voting machines, “Russian cyberactors were in a position to delete or change voter data” in the Illinois voter database. The committee found no evidence that they did so. "

But isnt it too vague to conclude that?

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001

The article is not really making that distinction? You can assert that it is implied in

"It concluded that while there was no evidence that any votes were changed in actual voting machines, “Russian cyberactors were in a position to delete or change voter data” in the Illinois voter database. The committee found no evidence that they did so. "

But isnt it too vague to conclude that?

No. It isn't. A database is a collection of information. In this case a collection of in formation about individual voters stored on a computer system. It has nothing to do with voting or voting machines or votes. There is no vagueness. They apparently had access to some voter database in Illinois but did not alter any of the information. There was no hacking of the vote and there was no flipping of the data (whatever that means.)

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
No. It isn't. A database is a collection of information. In this case a collection of in formation about individual voters stored on a computer system. It has nothing to do with voting or voting machines or votes. There is no vagueness. They apparently had access to some voter database in Illinois but did not alter any of the information. There was no hacking of the vote and there was no flipping of the data (whatever that means.)
Alright, backing off then.
I have a little background in IT. To my mind, the actual cast ballot will have to reside in a database as well right? Probably with some referential keys? This information is not "voter data"... Ok then.

edit:
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-vulnerabilities-of-our-voting-machines/
Good read I think. These truely are just "black boxes". I would love to pry the mind of someone actually working with this stuff.

Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Alright, backing off then.
I have a little background in IT. To my mind, the actual cast ballot will have to reside in a database as well right? Probably with some referential keys? This information is not "voter data"... Ok then.

I think you misunderstand. Voter data is a big subject. Even with paper trails intruders can wreak havoc on the process. If the systems at the precinct level rely on remote servers, they can make that information unavailable. They can issue contradictory instructions, screw up the voter rolls, mis-allocate resources & all sorts of tricks we haven't imagined. It's hard to do that much because it's mostly decentralized & every locality has its own ballot.

They don't have to change any votes to discredit the voting process. A few colossal clusterfucks would do the job, I figure.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Voter data is a big subject. Even with paper trails intruders can wreak havoc on the process. If the systems at the precinct level rely on remote servers, they can make that information unavailable. They can issue contradictory instructions, screw up the voter rolls, mis-allocate resources & all sorts of tricks we haven't imagined. It's hard to do that much because it's mostly decentralized & every locality has its own ballot.

They don't have to change any votes to discredit the voting process. A few colossal clusterfucks would do the job, I figure.

That could very well be, but there are too many separate and distinct machines, locations, systems, rules and regulations, and possible actions for me to even guess how much the disruption would be. Hopefully, now that we are on notice of the attacks, things will be more difficult for them in the future. However I am sure that there will be some locations that fail to harden against attacks that will allow folks with bad intentions to come right on in.