Russia barred from 2018 winter olympics for doping

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
No joke. I rate something like this happening as a high probability. Russia is addicted to using disinformation on a global scale. I'd be surprised if this was an exception.
I expect wiki-leaks to be in the middle of it as well.

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Stumbled across this Reuters article yesterday about the same time that I read about the Olympic ban. What do you think?

Commentary: Blame Russia. But not too much.

“Missed a train? Lost a vote? Blame us!” reads one of the many posters recently posted on London’s underground transport system for RT, the Russian-based satellite broadcaster formerly known as Russia Today.

The ads are yet another sign of just how overtly Moscow and its outlets have been reveling in their newfound reputation for driving events in Western politics. But it also points to a growing and increasingly difficult dynamic. As the United States, Britain and other European nations obsess ever more deeply about potential Russian interference within their borders, they ironically risk playing further into the Kremlin’s hands.

President Donald Trump might remain unconvinced, but outside the White House there remains little doubt that President Vladimir Putin’s government has deliberately attempted to drive political events in Europe and the United States. U.S. intelligence agencies are united in their conclusion that Moscow interfered directly during the 2016 presidential election, primarily through hacking Democratic Party e-mails and disseminating their content to discredit Hillary Clinton.

In Europe the evidence is even more widespread. The European Union’s counter-disinformation campaign “EU Disinfo” says it has tracked more than 1,300 examples of pro-Kremlin interference this year. Moscow’s hand is seen as trying to drive support for the far right across the continent as well as a host of disparate causes like Brexit and independence for Catalonia.

The risk, however, is that the level of attention now being devoted to Russian hacking, manipulation of social media and other questionable political activities furthers Putin’s goal of delegitimizing Western governments while boosting Russia’s reputation for being able to call the shots.

Reactions: Thebobo

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
It's hard to see Russia being allowed back in until they actually admit to the official state-sponsored doping program.

Can you imagine the look on Putin's face if forced to do that? Of course not for a second do I believe a mea culpa would come from his mouth, he'll find a suitably high-up executive to throw to the wolves and create enough distance to him but still, embarrassing for Russian sport.

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
I'm not sure what the Russian's expected ... since they were told some time ago what they had to do to compete (they obviously failed at this) ... but it appears that they are unable or unwilling (or both) to accept responsibility for both their actions (doping) and their inaction (failure to clean up their act). There is a lot of butt-hurt going on at the moment in Russia:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-42250701

"Russia Olympics ban: Kremlin calls for calm amid anger"

"The IOC's decision to exclude Russia from the Winter Olympics has sparked a furious reaction here.

The figure skating trainer Tatyana Tarasova described it as "the murder of Russia's national sport".

The deputy speaker of Russia's parliament said it was a humiliation and an insult to Russia.

In a defiant post on social media, the spokeswoman for the Russian foreign ministry said Russia would survive this - like it survived world war, the collapse of the Soviet Union and Western sanctions."

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
More developments.
http://olympics.nbcsports.com/2017/...mtschenko-tatiana-ivanova-russia-doping-bans/
http://olympics.nbcsports.com/2017/...mtschenko-tatiana-ivanova-russia-doping-bans/

"Eleven more Sochi Olympians from Russia were disqualified by the IOC and banned from the Games for life, including two Sochi medalists, bringing the total to 43 athletes and 13 medals gone."

Suck it down Putin the Putz. Russia is synonymous with corruption and cheating, and it's all thanks to you.

More RT butthurt about "anti-Russian hysteria" in 3...2...1...

Last edited:

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
More developments.

"Eleven more Sochi Olympians from Russia were disqualified by the IOC and banned from the Games for life, including two Sochi medalists, bringing the total to 43 athletes and 13 medals gone."

Suck it down Putin the Putz. Russia is synonymous with corruption and cheating, and it's all thanks to you.

More RT butthurt about "anti-Russian hysteria" in 3...2...1...
All due to Putin? If you were a student of history, you would understand that this is an historical, institutional problem within Russia that can be traced back to the USSR and Eastern Bloc. East Germany in particular was notorious for fielding athletes that everyone knew were doped up.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
All due to Putin?

Pretty much, yes. He's a 97%er, didn't you know?

If you were a student of history, you would understand that this is an historical, institutional problem within Russia that can be traced back to the USSR and Eastern Bloc. East Germany in particular was notorious for fielding athletes that everyone knew were doped up.

East Germany has nothing to do with this and doesn't contradict anything I posted. Yes, the Soviet Union has history with doping and cheating at the Olympics. I didn't say or imply otherwise, but we're dealing with a Russian Federation now, one that has taken state sponsorship of cheating to unprecedented levels. Prestige, the desire to appear superior to the West, all valuable enough to Putin to have FSB personnel teams used for urine smuggling. It's the cheating of the past, almost literally on steroids, ha. They've come a long way since the 70s and 80s, when testing wasn't done or wasn't done well. Modern pharma tech has made them have to up their game in a big way, and they have.

In keeping with the spirit of holiday reciprocity,I guess my response is if you were a student of history, you'd understand that bringing back the prestige of the USSR has been Putin's primary motivation in all he does. He has been a dictator in action if not in name for the last 17 years, and enjoys almost complete control over Russian state affairs. Does he delegate tasks to underlings? Of course. Is he somehow removed from all of this? I seriously doubt that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Victorian Gray

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Pretty much, yes. He's a 97%er, didn't you know?

East Germany has nothing to do with this and doesn't contradict anything I posted. Yes, the Soviet Union has history with doping and cheating at the Olympics. I didn't say or imply otherwise, but we're dealing with a Russian Federation now, one that has taken state sponsorship of cheating to unprecedented levels. Prestige, the desire to appear superior to the West, all valuable enough to Putin to have FSB personnel teams used for urine smuggling. It's the cheating of the past, almost literally on steroids, ha. They've come a long way since the 70s and 80s, when testing wasn't done or wasn't done well. Modern pharma tech has made them have to up their game in a big way, and they have.

In keeping with the spirit of holiday reciprocity,I guess my response is if you were a student of history, you'd understand that bringing back the prestige of the USSR has been Putin's primary motivation in all he does. He has been a dictator in action if not in name for the last 17 years, and enjoys almost complete control over Russian state affairs. Does he delegate tasks to underlings? Of course. Is he somehow removed from all of this? I seriously doubt that.
I'm not really looking for a fight, the main thing is that everyone should know that this stuff has been going on for well over half a century. I'm not defending the Russian strongman, merely amused that anyone might assume he's the engineer of all this. By your words you seemed to place yourself in that category, if I'm wrong, well maybe I owe you an apology.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I'm not really looking for a fight, the main thing is that everyone should know that this stuff has been going on for well over half a century.

Good to know, but it's probably best not to start off by making a personal jab then. I have no illusions about my historical knowledge being 100% accurate. If you search the forums you will find I have no issue with admitting error, but I would prefer the error to be an actual error, not an assumption over a point I didn't make. Just saying. This particular issue in no way fully encapsulates what I've studied about Russia, or in particular, Putin himself.

I'm not defending the Russian strongman, merely amused that anyone might assume he's the engineer of all this. By your words you seemed to place yourself in that category, if I'm wrong, well maybe I owe you an apology.

Yeah I would never confuse you with some of the Putin sucking Dump voters here, no worries. And no apology necessary. I probably could have worded it better. Your use of the word 'engineer' has a car analogy forming in my head so allow me to clarify. I did not mean to imply that Putin was the architect of long term, systemic Russian cheating at the Olympics. If the doping campaign was a vehicle, he inherited it, then spent time and money on new shocks, new wheels, nitro kit, super-charger, etc and he is the one driving it now.

Merry Xmas crash!

Reactions: crashtech