Rush Limbaugh has advanced lung cancer.

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
From progressives. They are remarkably tolerant of people who agree with them, and often seem downright hateful of those who don't. They also display a curious inability to distinguish between Rush Limbaugh and Hitler. No one says you should tolerate a Hitler. We say you should be mature enough and serious enough to distinguish a Hitler from a Limbaugh. People here talk of Limbaugh as if he's a serial killer.

I'll just leave this right here again:

i69jnt27a8gz.png

ecogen

Golden Member
Dec 24, 2016
From progressives. They are remarkably tolerant of people who agree with them, and often seem downright hateful of those who don't. They also display a curious inability to distinguish between Rush Limbaugh and Hitler. No one says you should tolerate a Hitler. We say you should be mature enough and serious enough to distinguish a Hitler from a Limbaugh. People here talk of Limbaugh as if he's a serial killer.

No people talk of Limbaugh as if he's a giant piece of shit that has spewed hateful rhetoric for years as a means of making money, which is accurate. I don't see why we should feel sorry for him. I thought you guys hated virtue signalling and political correctness. Stop clutching your pearls.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
I'll just leave this right here again:

View attachment 16967

Did you read what you quoted of mine?

I literally said you guys don't seem to distinguish between Limbaugh and Hitler. You say on one hand that we can tolerate anything short of Hitler, yet compare anyone you dislike to Hitler. You exert no responsibility whatsoever in being careful with the comparison.

Bush wasn't Hitler. Obama wasn't Hitler. Trump isn't Hitler. Limbaugh isn't Hitler.

You guys shouldn't venture into political discussions at all if you can't exercise high-school levels of maturity. Anyone who sincerely draws comparisons between the two men is a fool.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

I literally said you guys don't seem to distinguish between Limbaugh and Hitler.

You not being able to rationalize the identical dangers of both Hitler and Limbaugh is the problem. This is probably because the dissolution of rational thought needed to make this difficult, has already happened for you? 4 decades of GOP has that effect on willing brains.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Anyone who sincerely draws comparisons between the two men is a fool.
Would Goebbels be the better comparison then since they were both in the business of propaganda? :p

You're right that Limbaugh and Hitler are not comparable.
However, normalizing/tolerating people like Limbaugh and his ideas can lead to severe repercussions for the people he vilifies (generally immigrants and the "left")...you shouldn't be surprised that those same people he vilifies have zero sympathy for him.

And in case you want say "but free speech", can you name one principle/policy/idea Limbaugh stood for that is for the betterment of all society?

Last edited:
Reactions: ElFenix

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

I literally said you guys don't seem to distinguish between Limbaugh and Hitler. You say on one hand that we can tolerate anything short of Hitler, yet compare anyone you dislike to Hitler. You exert no responsibility whatsoever in being careful with the comparison.

Bush wasn't Hitler. Obama wasn't Hitler. Trump isn't Hitler. Limbaugh isn't Hitler.

You guys shouldn't venture into political discussions at all if you can't exercise high-school levels of maturity. Anyone who sincerely draws comparisons between the two men is a fool.

Limbaugh is very open in his opinions that anyone doesn't vote straight-ticket Republican is a traitor and should be treated as such. That's bad enough.
If you want to be taken seriously, you should exercise at least the same 'high-school levels of maturity' to recognize that if someone said the same shit about YOU that Limbaugh says about others, you'd compare them to Hitler too. So STFU.

Last edited:
Reactions: Meghan54

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Would Goebbels be the better comparison then since they were both in the business of propaganda?

You're right that Limbaugh and Hitler are not comparable.
However, normalizing/tolerating people like Limbaugh and his ideas can lead to severe repercussions for the people he vilifies (generally immigrants and the "left")...you shouldn't be surprised that those same people he vilifies have zero sympathy for him.

And in case you want say "but free speech", can you name one principle/policy/idea Limbaugh stood for that is for the betterment of society?
Isn't it weird how "but free speech" for the right wing extremists like Limbaugh means branding other people as traitors for their speech?
Hence... that tolerance meme.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

Hitler isn't the point, but used as an example of what can and will happen when a tolerant society tolerates the promotion of intolerant ideas and speech.

Germany was a very tolerant society. Hitler's intolerant ideology was allowed, placated, and even entertained and ended up destroying ALL tolerance in Germany.

INTOLERANCE is the point, not an individual man. And you missed it, as you always do.

Intolerant ideology and speech cannot be tolerated in a tolerant society because intolerance leads to the loss of tolerance.

That loud sound you heard was the point flying right over your head.

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
To be fair, I very much doubt that. I did specify glee. That part of my comment applies more to the troll crowd, not so much Ackmed. While I have seen him parrot the most basic and weak of Faux talking points before, I've never questioned the bravery of EOD (and you shouldn't either).

I don't have a problem with people having views different than mine. I do take issue with rank hypocrisy. Lying by omission also rates up there.
Can you provide examples of this hypocrisy of righties mocking lefty hero demise/suffering here on this forum? Surely there must be something right at your fingertips. You said it, therefore true, eh?

Reactions: imported_tajmahal

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Can you provide examples of this hypocrisy of righties mocking lefty hero demise/suffering here on this forum? Surely there must be something right at your fingertips. You said it, therefore true, eh?
Are you referring to the time when Limbaugh mocked Michael J Fox's Parkinsons disease?

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
Hitler isn't the point, but used as an example of what can and will happen when a tolerant society tolerates the promotion of intolerant ideas and speech.

Germany was a very tolerant society. Hitler's intolerant ideology was allowed, placated, and even entertained and ended up destroying ALL tolerance in Germany.

INTOLERANCE is the point, not an individual man. And you missed it, as you always do.

Intolerant ideology and speech cannot be tolerated in a tolerant society because intolerance leads to the loss of tolerance.

That loud sound you heard was the point flying right over your head.
Do you not know where you live? Our first amendment requires tolerance of all speach. Not acceptance for sure, but tolerance. You may not agree, but thankfully you don't get to decide.

Reactions: imported_tajmahal

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Limbaugh is very open in his opinions that anyone doesn't vote straight-ticket Republican is a traitor and should be treated as such. That's bad enough.

And yet how many here have said we need to vote straight Democrat? Or is that different?

Nov 25, 2013
Do you not know where you live? Our first amendment requires tolerance of all speach. Not acceptance for sure, but tolerance. You may not agree, but thankfully you don't get to decide.

No, it doesn't.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
So Rush did this as a poster on this forum? Because....well maybe you'll figure it out.
And maybe you'll figure out that your requirement that he must be a poster of this forum is self-serving, hypocritical, and irrelevant.

Or are you denying that Limbaugh did in fact attack someone's suffering solely for political reasons?

Reactions: Meghan54

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

*Speech

Bullshit. I do not have to personally tolerate ANYTHING I do not like.

The 1st Amendment protects speech from government control and punishment.

It DOES NOT protect speech from social consequences.

Intolerant ideologies and speech should be met with the most extreme social consequences allowed by law. Full fucking stop.

Those who promote it should be ostracized, deplatformed, and treated like the human garbage they are for promoting an ideology that hurts other human beings.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
And yet how many here have said we need to vote straight Democrat? Or is that different?
Are they media figures with millions of followers? Calling on people to be punished or even jailed for their speech and opinions?

Keep trying, but there is no analogue to Limbaugh or Alex Jones on the left. There just isn't.

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
And maybe you'll figure out that your requirement that he must be a poster of this forum is self-serving, hypocritical, and irrelevant.

Or are you denying that Limbaugh did in fact attack someone's suffering solely for political reasons?
Why would I deny that? I was addressing a specific post that said righties on this forum are hypocrites because we would do exactly what the lefties are doing when a lefty hero gets sick or kicks. Don't be dishonest and put words in my mouth I never uttered. How about you just man up and shut up?

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
Weird post from someone who just bragged about reporting another poster for their speech.
Oh, so this forum embraces freedom of speech and has no rules about insults? You lefties can certainly confuse easily when your emotions get the way of rational thought.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

Another poster who doesn’t understand what freedom of speech means. Did you guys graduate high school? What about middle school?