Rush is getting a presidential medal of freedom

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Lets face it, the Presidential Medal of Freedom has never meant much, it has always been one of those throwaway pat on the backs that the President pulls out of his pocket when he needs a feel good moment. It is a political stunt more than anything.

But, that being said, it is getting really hard to not associate this Administration with White Supremist, isnt' it. This is one more Advertisement that the Democrats get to use.
'Trump gives highest award to man that says that slavery made streets safe'.

I kind'a look at Rush's acceptance of the award as the whole of the Repub Party accepting that award for approving the use of racist demagoguery as a legitimate campaign issue to rally around on.

I mean, their own president exploits it with great success on the Repub base so........

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Trump granted this guy the PMOF. Makes sense
View attachment 16776

My post below yours show why you like Rush. Racists gonna racist
1) It was a joke 2) If he's talking about AA's, statistically he's right even though it was a joke. Eg 2011 stats show 13% cohort of a country committing 49.7% of all murder and 55.6% robbery according to the FBI. Do you think the FBI is racist because they put out these stats? Not surprised when they say the Left doesn't have a sense of humor anymore. Now it's just cancel cancel cancel b/c they said something I didn't like.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
1) It was a joke 2) If he's talking about AA's, statistically he's right even though it was a joke. Eg 2011 stats show 13% cohort of a country committing 49.7% of all murder and 55.6% robbery according to the FBI. Do you think the FBI is racist because they put out these stats? Not surprised when they say the Left doesn't have a sense of humor anymore. Now it's just cancel cancel cancel b/c they said something I didn't like.

It's a joke in poor taste, though... like a lot of modern Republican humor, there's a mix of ignorance and deliberate cruelty in it. Do you think black people would find that even slightly funny given all the shit they've been through?

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
It's a joke in poor taste, though... like a lot of modern Republican humor, there's a mix of ignorance and deliberate cruelty in it. Do you think black people would find that even slightly funny given all the shit they've been through?
Most I know wouldn't care and just crack a joke back about being white. And I would probably laugh if it was funny. Obviously they know it's not aimed at them since they aren't criminals, but they understand why it might be funny to people not like them. Most people have cracked a few jokes off stereotypes in their life - it's called being a human with a sense of humor and humor is endearing. If the joke goes too far, most people know it's not personal and will just say "you're a dick" or "that's messed up" or "now you going to far, careful man" and shake their head and smile. They aren't going to try and get their friend fired, canceled, or incarcerated because their friend cracked a joke that went a little too far. Many people are so entitled these days that they are offended by everything, it's sad to see. In my experience, most people from my generation (X) can take a joke.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Most I know wouldn't care and just crack a joke back about being white. And I would probably laugh if it was funny. Obviously they know it's not aimed at them since they aren't criminals, but they understand why it might be funny to people not like them. Most people have cracked a few jokes off stereotypes in their life - it's called being a human with a sense of humor and humor is endearing. If the joke goes too far, most people know it's not personal and will just say "you're a dick" or "that's messed up" or "now you going to far, careful man" and shake their head and smile. They aren't going to try and get their friend fired, canceled, or incarcerated because their friend cracked a joke that went a little too far. Many people are so entitled these days that they are offended by everything, it's sad to see. In my experience, most people from my generation (X) can take a joke.

I'd think that knowingly making light of one of the most horrific practices in human history, whose repercussions are still being felt by a large chunk of the American population, isn't particularly funny.

What I would want from Rush is a sincere apology (i.e. not the "sorry you were offended" kind). If people have been pushing to get him fired, it's because he has a systemic pattern of saying things that cross the line.

Besides, you spin it as a younger generation being too sensitive, but I disagree; while there can be instances of oversensitivity, in Rush's case it's more that people are tired of letting vile people like him slide. You can make edgy jokes without being a complete asshole, you know.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
I'd think that knowingly making light of one of the most horrific practices in human history, whose repercussions are still being felt by a large chunk of the American population, isn't particularly funny.

What I would want from Rush is a sincere apology (i.e. not the "sorry you were offended" kind). If people have been pushing to get him fired, it's because he has a systemic pattern of saying things that cross the line.

Besides, you spin it as a younger generation being too sensitive, but I disagree; while there can be instances of oversensitivity, in Rush's case it's more that people are tired of letting vile people like him slide. You can make edgy jokes without being a complete asshole, you know.
So all jokes about slavery are off limits? Did you tell Dave Chappelle that yet? You realize my black friends joke about slavery all the time? Skin color is only a talking point for woke twitterati, it's not reality. And just because Rush is white is a main reason people are complaining. It's a lot of the same people who claim only white people can be racist. Wait, so we get to listen to eminem saying the N word a bunch of times and Howard Stern making fun of blacks including his cohost but because Rush is political and cracks a joke it's serious business? Be consistent, we are all human and most of us have joked about race. Rush doesn't have to apologize to anyone from cancel culture, just like Dave chappelle doesn't have to apologize to the LGBT community he pissed off. They entertain for a living.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
So all jokes about slavery are off limits? Did you tell Dave Chappelle that yet? You realize my black friends joke about slavery all the time? Skin color is only a talking point for woke twitterati, it's not reality. And just because Rush is white is a main reason people are complaining. It's a lot of the same people who claim only white people can be racist. Wait, so we get to listen to eminem saying the N word a bunch of times and Howard Stern making fun of blacks including his cohost but because Rush is political and cracks a joke it's serious business? Be consistent, we are all human and most of us have joked about race. Rush doesn't have to apologize to anyone from cancel culture, just like Dave chappelle doesn't have to apologize to the LGBT community he pissed off.

Not all jokes, but saying "slavery had its benefits" is a pretty dickish move. And I don't think we should be making malicious jokes about race, full stop. It's 2020, we're supposed to be better than stereotyping entire chunks of the human population.

And I'm sorry, but yes, in some cases (not this one) skin color makes a difference. Context matters, as any linguist will tell you. You don't get to tell an entire culture "don't find this offensive" simply because you don't think you're being offensive. Many black people will tell you that no, dropping an N-bomb in your language isn't acceptable for a white person whether you're a rapper or a blowhard political commentator like Rush.

Rush's problem isn't so much that one thing as that it represents decades of malicious behavior from him. He's an asshole who says asshole-ish things to pull in ratings from listeners who want an excuse to be assholes. (While it is possible to be too sensitive, railing against "political correctness" is usually shorthand for "I want to be an asshole to people who don't look or act like me.")

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Remember when Rush Limbaugh was about the worst the right had to offer? Those were the days!

Comedy + Time = Tragedy!

"God. Can you imagine if Donald Trump actually did win the 2016 election? He'd probably actually give Rush Limbaugh the Presidential Medal of Freedom."

"Heh, yeah... probably during the State of the Union!"

"Man, that's horrific, why do you always have to push things too far?"

Nov 17, 2019
Remember when Rush Limbaugh was about the worst the right had to offer? Those were the days!

Comedy + Time = Tragedy!
Not long after Bubba got elected, I was flipping channels one morning when I didn't have to go to work. Stumbled on this morning talk show with some guy railing against Bubba. I hated him too, so I got a chuckle out of some of the jokes. He was kind of funny in ways, but serious also. Even made it a point to watch a few more shows on days I had off or went in late. It wasn't long before I figured out what a dirtbag this Limbaugh fool really was.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Not all jokes, but saying "slavery had its benefits" is a pretty dickish move. And I don't think we should be making malicious jokes about race, full stop. It's 2020, we're supposed to be better than stereotyping entire chunks of the human population.

And I'm sorry, but yes, in some cases (not this one) skin color makes a difference. Context matters, as any linguist will tell you. You don't get to tell an entire culture "don't find this offensive" simply because you don't think you're being offensive. Many black people will tell you that no, dropping an N-bomb in your language isn't acceptable for a white person whether you're a rapper or a blowhard political commentator like Rush.

Rush's problem isn't so much that one thing as that it represents decades of malicious behavior from him. He's an asshole who says asshole-ish things to pull in ratings from listeners who want an excuse to be assholes. (While it is possible to be too sensitive, railing against "political correctness" is usually shorthand for "I want to be an asshole to people who don't look or act like me.")
I can agree that he's an asshole and that's his appeal. It's the same with Trump. But where we may differ is I think the world needs more assholes because they say the things that need to be said. Maybe Rush found it funny and thought his viewers would as well and if that offends, then turn it off. Nobody is getting him or superstars like Howard Stern or chappelle or bill burr fired b/c they were in the minority of people who felt slighted. You didn't think it was that funny, I didn't think it was hilarious but slightly humorous. Of course I have black friends and we crack jokes all the time so maybe it's different. My point is that using a joke as proof that he's racist is just as silly as saying eminem or stern or chappelle are racist. They are entertainers and supposed to be edgy like you said. The best way to summarize entertainers like this are guys who made a living off of toeing the line of edginess. There are some entertainers who I don't find funny but I get that humor is different for everyone (like sarah silverman).

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
The real medal he's getting is terminal lung cancer. Everything else is window dressing.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
lol, Elvis even got the medal of freedom.

What a crock of sh*t.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
BOTHSIDES bullshit right here gents... getsome
It's odd that you spout off a buzzword that has nothing to do with the opinion I expressed. I don't have an issue with your being a cheerleader, but at least attempt to make some kind of connection to what I posted.

Reactions: Starbuck1975

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
It's odd that you spout off a buzzword that has nothing to do with the opinion I expressed. I don't have an issue with your being a cheerleader, but at least attempt to make some kind of connection to what I posted.
Fake concern detected.
I am sorry Obama spoiled the integrity of the Nobel for you. Here. Have my fucks to give.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Yeah, I saw the 3 second blurb on news. Disgusting. Looked to be Melania placing it on him from behind. Sick is all I can think... before he croaks. I find it staggering that Trump used to me a moderate liberal type and has morphed into this black hole conservative with apparently no thought to who he really is.

Nov 25, 2013
Yeah, I saw the 3 second blurb on news. Disgusting. Looked to be Melania placing it on him from behind. Sick is all I can think... before he croaks. I find it staggering that Trump used to me a moderate liberal type and has morphed into this black hole conservative with apparently no thought to who he really is.

In this universe, while he occasionally tried to play the role, Trump has *never* been a "moderate liberal type".

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
In this universe, while he occasionally tried to play the role, Trump has *never* been a "moderate liberal type".
Well, at one time, IIRC, he stood up for a woman's right to choose (well, when asked!). WTF happened to that?

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2013
Well, at one time, IIRC, he stood up for a woman's right to choose. WTF happened to that?

It was a convenient/useful position for him to state at the time. Nothing more, nothing less. The man has been a shit his entire life and the only *real* belief system he's ever had has been, "does it benefit me?"

Reactions: ch33zw1z

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Well, at one time, IIRC, he stood up for a woman's right to choose. WTF happened to that?
Simple!! He wanted the Evangelical vote!! *Not all Evangelicals are against a woman`s right to choose!* But the ones who Trump wanted to vote for him are against...

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Simple!! He wanted the Evangelical vote!! *Not all Evangelicals are against a woman`s right to choose!* But the ones who Trump wanted to vote for him are against...
True, of course, but I was under the impression he'd expressed the pro-choice view long before his presidential run. Of course, he'd been asked long before that run if he'd consider running and at the time their was no path towards it he sensed as real... my impression.

Trump shifted from pro-choice to pro-life only as he planned a presidential run

Last edited:

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Fake concern detected.
I am sorry Obama spoiled the integrity of the Nobel for you. Here. Have my fucks to give.
And a cliche as an answer. Your right on your game there scotter, if you can work in buttery emails you'll have the trifecta.