Running shoes, where to get them?

PunDogg

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2002
Hey all you runners on ATOT, yeah all 5 of you hehe, where do you get your special running shoes?? online? store? where?? I have been looking for special shoes, but i also want the place to test out my shoes/feet to see which type of shoes fits my running still the best. If you know of sites or stores that do this, please let me know. Thanks

DOgg

axelfox

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Special shoes? Like orthopedic shoes? Just go to any sporting good store or specialty running store and have then help you out.

PunDogg

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2002
Originally posted by: Psorak
www.runningshoes.com

thanks, but they don't tell you what your foot type is, i have no idea what type of shoe to get, if i need high arch, flat, or what. got any other sites???

Dogg

sohcrates

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2000
find out where a local running store is. it's very important to get the right shoe for your foot and how you run (e.g. pronation, etc)

if you live anywhere near DC, metro run and walk is a great shop. there's several locations throughout maryland and virginia

it's difficult to buy running shoes from big stores like sports authority...they don't know what they're doing there. some people have normal feet though and they can buy any old shoe. me, personally, i need just the right shoe else i start getting shin splints pretty bad and a lot of knee pain

PunDogg

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2002
Originally posted by: sohcrates
find out where a local running store is. it's very important to get the right shoe for your foot and how you run (e.g. pronation, etc)

if you live anywhere near DC, metro run and walk is a great shop. there's several locations throughout maryland and virginia

it's difficult to buy running shoes from big stores like sports authority...they don't know what they're doing there. some people have normal feet though and they can buy any old shoe. me, personally, i need just the right shoe else i start getting shin splints pretty bad and a lot of knee pain

true dat, thats excatly what i was asking. I live in the Pittsburgh, PA area.

Dogg

neovan

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2001
footlocker or champs (when they have their 30% off FF sale).

as long as you get New Balance, you'll be fine! :)

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Go Asics! NB is good too.

One of the small local stores will be your best bet to find a really good shoe if you already don't know what kind of shoes you need.

If you can't afford to, ask for some advice and go buy them on the internet. Otherwise, I've gotten from SportMart, Big5, everywhere.

bigalt

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2000
contrary to popular opinion, buying a pair of running shoes will not instill in you the resolve to run every day.

PunDogg

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2002
Originally posted by: bigalt
contrary to popular opinion, buying a pair of running shoes will not instill in you the resolve to run every day.

doh!!
<------- has been running veryday for the past month and a half

Dogg

bigalt

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2000
Originally posted by: PunDogg
Originally posted by: bigalt

doh!!
<------- has been running veryday for the past month and a half

Dogg

heh, i'm just speaking from personal experience.

Originally posted by: hevnsnt
ASICS all the way.. where ever you can find them.
Yup. I used them all through high school and just got a new pair about a week ago from http://www.zappos.com - they rock.

<-- varsity cross country captain in HS and varsity track

hevnsnt

Lifer
Mar 18, 2000
I know Kohls always has some good prices on Asics.. But which ones they carry vary.. I would start there and try some on.

PunDogg

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2002
Originally posted by: hevnsnt
I know Kohls always has some good prices on Asics.. But which ones they carry vary.. I would start there and try some on.

not a bad idea, i think i might do that

Dogg

PunDogg

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2002
just emailed the local Colleges XC coacha asked if she knew of any stores that sell special running shoes. I'll post her answer, and a website if she gives me any.

Dogg

SWScorch

Diamond Member
May 13, 2001
go to a specialty running store near you, if you have a Fleet Feet they're really good. They'll get you fitted with the right shoe for your foot type.

And don't go by anybody else's suggestions. What works for one person probably won't work for you. I like New Balance, but my friend wears Asics, and my gf wears Adidas and hates NB. Even more so, don't go for a particular shoe because someone said so. Depending on how you run, you could need cushioned, stability or motion control, and getting the wrong kind can lead to injury (I know this from experience). Only an experienced runner can tell you which works for you based on a personal examination.