Running multiple instances of Folding @ Home

Smartazz

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Is it possible to run both Folding @ Home for your CPU and GPU on the same system?

CupCak3

Golden Member
Nov 11, 2005
If you have a dual core, you can run two instances. One GPU and CPU (not the SMP client. only the single core clients). If you have only a single core, I would suggest running the GPU client as it will yield the highest points and scientific return.

Let us know if you have any other questions :)

Smartazz

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Originally posted by: CupCak3
If you have a dual core, you can run two instances. One GPU and CPU (not the SMP client. only the single core clients). If you have only a single core, I would suggest running the GPU client as it will yield the highest points and scientific return.

Let us know if you have any other questions :)

Yeah, I have a dual core processor so I guess that I'll do that if I get a new ATI chip.

sdbowen

Apr 18, 2007
How do you achieve this - I try to run both GPU and CPU and regardless of the order in which I set them off I get he message that there is already an instance running? I am also unable to set affinity in tsk manager in vista for the instance - says access denied althouh i run the process as administrator and have administrator rights on my ID?:frown:

Core 2 Duo E6700

Uppsala9496

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 2001
You have set them up in different folders (destinations)?
CupCak3 should be able to provide a coherant answer for you.

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
The clients default to MachineID number 1.

You have to configure one of the clients to a different number.

For the Console client: Make a shortcut to the client and right click the new shortcut and select Properties. In the Target textbox, to the right of what is in there add a space, a dash, and "configonly" without the quotes. When you run this shortcut the client will enter configuration mode. Answer the questions or accept the default, when you get to Advanced options answer Yes and you will get to the place where you can change the MachineID.

If you need further help, please ask!

Thanks for running Folding@Home :thumbsup: