Running Folding@Home GPU and SETI@Home GPU

Smartazz

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
A bit of an odd question, but I run both Folding@Home and SETI@Home on my 8800GTS. However, SETI often doesn't have GPU work so it'll sit idle, whereas Folding@Home always has GPU work. If I set SETI@Home GPU in BOINC and Folding@Home GPU in the tray, will both operate at around 50% of the GPU each? Is it a good idea running two different clients on the same GPU?

somethingsketchy

Golden Member
Nov 25, 2008
The problem is either client would use 100% of the GPU, and you would have to force one project or the other to be folded.

As far as I know, I haven't heard if you could fold multiple projects at the same time.

Smartazz

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
I realize that neither client would use 100% of the GPU, but my question is a little different.

Imagine SETI@Home gets 1,000 credits per day running alone 24/7 and Folding@Home gets 1,000 credits running alone 24/7. If they shared the GPU simultaneously, would I net this theoretical 1,000 credits or would there be an inefficiency somewhere. I realize these theoretical credit values are made up and nowhere near the point systems used on F@H and Boinc, but I don't know how else to get my point across. I hope my question is clear.

Sunny129

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
there are far too many circumstances and hypotheticals to give a definitive answer to your question. i think the biggest issue you're going to face is the fact that F@H is not a BOINC project - it uses its own client. if it were a BOINC project, then i would think that manipulating BOINC alone would allow you to split the GPUs resources 50/50 between the projects. but b/c F@H is not a BOINC project, and b/c i don't know my way around the F@H client at all, i don't know that its possible to do what you're looking to do...and if you do find a way to achieve it, it'll involve a minimum amount of babysitting over the course of a day since the BOINC client and the Folding client do not communicate whatsoever. it certainly won't be a "set it and forget it" ordeal.

Peter Trend

Jan 8, 2009
There must be a way for the F@H gpu client to only run when the gpu is idle, akin to screensaver mode...or maybe not :\
Also, f@h credit is very dependent on time taken to return results, so if there was some way to have a 50/50 share, your overall points would fall.

Smartazz

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
There must be a way for the F@H gpu client to only run when the gpu is idle, akin to screensaver mode...or maybe not :\
Also, f@h credit is very dependent on time taken to return results, so if there was some way to have a 50/50 share, your overall points would fall.

Oh, so credits in BOINC relate to computations, whereas F@H credits relate to computations/time taken?

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
I tried that once, I don't remember which BOINC GPU project, but the Folding WU crashed!

I think your best bet would be to run BOINC one week and then Folding the next week.

To prevent the GPU sitting idle if there are no SETI WUs, set another BOINC GPU project to a Resource Share of 1 or I think zero will work too.