Info 'Running Check Disk Can Break Your SSD' - Tom's

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/chkdsk-windows-10-command-breaking-ssds
While Windows does a decent job maintaining disks on its own nowadays, “chkdsk” is a command that tech-savvy users will be plenty familiar with. It’s still useful if you need to repair your storage, but for now, you’ll probably want to avoid using the command.

A thread from German tech forum Planet3DNow, which has been reported on by both Hot Hardware and Windows Latest, points to a forum admin whose SSD file system broke after running chkdsk’s /f parameter on their C drive.

Not a command that is commonly used anymore outside of enthusiasts, but still a well-known command when troubleshooting storage.

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
I thought running chkdsk on SSD would shorten its lifespan because I believe it consumes plenty TBW to perform. That's why I never use it on SSD. I only do 3-month manual TRIM command.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Yeesh, Microsoft, try not to break chkdsk in the process of your half-cocked patch-and-test routine. How the hell did they manage that anyway, surely they're not messing with the NTFS implementation in Windows 10?

Last edited:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I thought running chkdsk on SSD would shorten its lifespan because I believe it consumes plenty TBW to perform. That's why I never use it on SSD. I only do 3-month manual TRIM command.
I think you are thinking about running a defrag (optimization in Windows 10). Those are the ones they are unnecessary for SSDs, can eat up some of their TBW ratings. Once in a while would be OK, but not something to run on a regular basis.

Reactions: mikeymikec

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I took a look at this. Seems like the title is misleading, as this breaks Windows, not the actual SSD.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I took a look at this. Seems like the title is misleading, as this breaks Windows, not the actual SSD.

Yup, kinda par for the course in tech journalism. The quote from the OP was a bit of a giveaway though :)