Running backs: Yards or Touchdowns

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
What type of running back would you prefer, one that can rack up the yards, but doesn't score much, or one that gets some yards, but not the most, but scores alot of TD's?

edit: just to clarify, I don't mean an HB that only gets like 50 yards/game...I mean one that does get a decent amount of yards, just not the most.

spanky

Lifer
Jun 19, 2001
yards. becuz i would pick barry over emmitt (becuz u know barry would destroyed emmitt's yardage total if she did not retire)

:D

Reliant

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Yards! Let the RB do all the work and then let the QB take it from there.
Running is a perfect way to control the tempo of the game and take loads of time off the clock.

CripplerCrossface

Jun 24, 2002
Originally posted by: Reliant
Running is a perfect way to control the tempo of the game and take loads of time off the clock.

tru.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
I have nothing better to do so I calculuated the TD% of the top 5 RB's

1) Emmitt Smith - 3.8% (1st in yards)
2) Barry Sanders - 3.2% (3rd in yards)
3) Eric Dickerson - 3.0% (4th in yards)
4) Walter Payton - 2.9% (2nd in yards)
5) Tony Dorsett - 2.6% (5th in yards)

Jim Brown was the highest w/ 4.4%.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Reliant

Yea but what if you all you have is the RB and the QB doesn't really get it done? (ala Barry)

Yzzim

Lifer
Feb 13, 2000
The '98 Vikings (along with many other teams I'm sure) used Robert Smith to gain the big yards and Leroy Hoard to get the tough 1-2 yards for the first down or touchdown.

HendrixFan

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2001
The Lions had a good enough QB to do well. It is no coincidence that the Lions did better when Barry was gone. If you wanted to stop Barry you could, look at some of his playoff games. Under 30 yards was common, negative yardage a couple times even. If it was 3rd and short, they would take him out of the game. He wasnt reliable. He'd get big runs that would pad his numbers, but he had trouble getting a good percentage of "successful carries". He was like Isaah Rider, alot of talent and good numbers, but somebody you didnt really want on your team. The Lions problem was not the QB, it was the RB sucking up carries and getting 2 yards or less half the time. That puts the offense in a terrible situation each time, bringing the team down.