Running a graphics card in the "wrong" PCIe - any problems?

_Rick_

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2012
I'd like to ask if anyone has tried running their (only) graphics card (card in question will be a Sapphire Vapor-X 7970Ghz) elsewhere than the first PCIex16, as the combination of a PCI-card, an ASUS Z77ProV-LK and a Lian-Li PC-A55 would optimize GPU cooling, if the card were to run in the PCIe3.0x8 slot, with the sound card above it. (Bottom intake fan blows straight onto the graphics card)

While there may be some performance loss (x8 vs x16), I don't really expect it to be major, and the reduced noise will probably be well worth it.

Also, considering on using Virtu MVP in such a setup (to exploit ZeroCore Power) - how critical is PCIe bandwidth for that? Screen resolution will be 2560x1600.

Thanks for your input.

bigmen 2007

Mar 6, 2013
I'd like to ask if anyone has tried running their (only) graphics card (card in question will be a Sapphire Vapor-X 7970Ghz) elsewhere than the first PCIex16, as the combination of a PCI-card, an ASUS Z77ProV-LK and a Lian-Li PC-A55 would optimize GPU cooling, if the card were to run in the PCIe3.0x8 slot, with the sound card above it. (Bottom intake fan blows straight onto the graphics card)

While there may be some performance loss (x8 vs x16), I don't really expect it to be major, and the reduced noise will probably be well worth it.

Also, considering on using Virtu MVP in such a setup (to exploit ZeroCore Power) - how critical is PCIe bandwidth for that? Screen resolution will be 2560x1600.

Thanks for your input.

Modern cards, don't take full advantage of bandwidth that offered in PCI-e 3. You won't see any performance drops and if there are there will be nothing. More or less about 0.5-2 frames.

A pci-e 3 @ 8x is like a pci-e 2 @ 16x. See here:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1188376/hardwarecanucks-hd-7970-pci-e-3-0-vs-pci-e-2-0-comparison