"Runaway" / possessed electric bike? 🚲⚡

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Don’t be a nerd and scoot around on some funky electric bicycle. Get a used Motorcycle and be cool. Gas cost is irrelevant.

If you plan on riding on the road it's the only way to go... on a scooter in traffic all you are is a victim looking for a place to happen.

EDIT: Also unless you have experience riding things like mini-bikes, dirt bikes or some other kind of motorized 2-wheel vehicle, get lessons! (and don't EVER ride without a helmet!!!)

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I do indeed, but I figured with all the strict federal laws, checks, and safety measures, my car is a much safer vehicle than an e-bike off AliExpress :)

If you're buying from Aliexpress then yeah I can see it possible to have all sorts of failure modes, not limited to the battery exploding while it's charging in your house. I personally would not buy anything from there that could have potential safety issues. Ex: anything electrical.

Reactions: SoftwareEng

SoftwareEng

Apr 24, 2005
Yeah but nobody is forcing you to get an e-bike from AliExpress. You can get an e-bike from a real company that has engineering standards and quality control.
Many bikes sold in the U.S., including those on Amazon, are the exact bikes you can buy from AliExpress. Still, as my nickname implies, I've seen bugs in all kinds of apps and systems, that's why I'm being [overly] cautious :)

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
How did my post about bicycles get a religious following? :)

Sorry, inside joke. You need to look at the Cheez thread to understand it.

He once bought a cheap Chinese scooter that made him so angry that he threw it over a bridge into a river. That said, the voices in his head probably told him that Jesus wanted him to do that.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
when we talk about electric bikes, what is it exactly we talk about?
2020-Energica-Eva-Ribelle-First-look-electric-motorcycle-sport-2.jpg

this?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Normally an ebike is a regular pedal bike that also has an electric motor. Once you get into bikes that look like a motorcycle it's a whole different beast as I'm pretty sure you need a license and insurance and all that stuff. Though it might depend on jurisdiction too. I think wattage rating of the motor plays a role too in how the law considers it.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
I'm considering getting a powerful ebike...

I'm mostly concerned with a glitch/failure that could prompt the e-bike to take off on its own...

I figured with all the strict federal laws, checks, and safety measures, my car is a much safer vehicle than an e-bike off AliExpress

Seems simple enough. Don't get such a powerful ebike, put the money towards major brand quality rather than more performance (and probably shorter lifespan) with some Chinese seller on Aliexpress who has no accountability.

I'd be far less worried about it taking off on its own and instead, some mechanical failure that puts you on an unintended course into traffic.

In some ways motorcycles are safer. The quality control has to be higher to be on public roads. The noise of a combustion engine helps fellow motorists notice you. The far sturdier build allows more recovery from potholes and other road debris. The greater potential speed allows you to travel at same rate as other traffic so they're not tailgating or passing you too close, or to get away from problematic motorists.

As far as glitches go, inspect and maintain the vehicle on a regular basis... like your life depended on it.