Run: Fry's e4300 OEM + ECS Mobo - $149+ tax

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
If you don't have another CPU to flash it, will Fry's do it for you? Would ECS exchange the BIOS chip for you?

Doh!

Platinum Member
Jan 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Cowtown
I posted last night about my three trips to Frys yesterday and them refusing to admit that there was a problem with this combo. Decided the $119 P4 925 would be a good alternative since it was a retail box. I drove to our other Fry's (yea we have two within 40 miles of Fort Worth) and I purchased the 925 combo. I told them I had purchased three of the E4300 combos at the other store on Friday and we finally discovered that they were not compatiable. So I asked if they were still selling them and they say "uh yea". I asked if they knew there was a problem and one salesman said he had heard something about it. I told them about the bios problem and asked if they could flash a bios there at the store and they said no. I took the 925 combo and have it up and running at home now and it seems like a good setup.

I did the same. I also made 3 trips back to Fry's thinking I had a faulty CPU or a motherboard. I also ended up getting the 925D combo. Since I have the system up & running, I was able to update the bios to the latest. I'm thinking about going back to Fry's to get the E4300 since now I have a compatible motherboard.

Doh!

Platinum Member
Jan 21, 2000
Originally posted by: BladeVenom
If you don't have another CPU to flash it, will Fry's do it for you? Would ECS exchange the BIOS chip for you?

Fry's in Illinois will not update the bios for you. The manager told me they would have to build a system just to update the bios (what a crock of sh!t) & then charge me for the bios update. People there are clueless. Everyone just kept saying, "we can't do anything since the combo deals come from the corporate". No one wanted to take any responsibility for this mess & simply wanted to refund my money and be done with it.

Getting a new bios chip from ECS will cost you money & time.

The way to get this combo is to buy the combo, buy another cpu (i.e., any LGA775 cpu older than 4300 such as P4 8xx/9xx D or E6xxx C2D), update the bios using the older cpu, return the older cpu back to Fry's.

VooDooAddict

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2004
Originally posted by: htne
This is not the first time Fry's has pulled a bone-headed stunt like this. Last year, maybe 6 or 8 months ago, I purchased one of their combos. A different ECS motherboard, based on the ATI chipset, and a Pentium D 805 cpu. Turns out they would not work together, and the ECS website clearly stated they would not work together -- that particular motherboard did not support any Pentium D cpu.

This is why I only buy the combos for the CPU deal. Sometimes they will let you upgrade to another motherboard. The cost of doing that though usually makes the deal not "hot," but it's still a respectable price for a Brick and Mortar CPU and motherboard deal (I.E. similar to Newegg.com at regular price).

PG

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
Originally posted by: jodhas
The motherboard has terrible issues with nVidia AGP cards.

I bought this combo with E6300 at Frys.

I needed the AGP card because the built in video card will not do a 19" widescreen.

I purchased 2 nVidia cards and both of them will not work with all the drivers I tried.

Basically, the cpu is a keeper but you want to ebay the mobo.

Overclock is ber

I have the same combo...ECS + E6300...and it works fine with my old 6600GT AGP. No problems at all. Of course I only have played HL2, but it worked just fine.

Doh!

Platinum Member
Jan 21, 2000

I needed the AGP card because the built in video card will not do a 19" widescreen.

I purchased 2 nVidia cards and both of them will not work with all the drivers I tried.

Overclock is ber

The integrated video supports widescreen resolutions. You need the right bios from ecs, however.

apexi350z

Mar 14, 2002
Count me in as well. Purchased the motherboard combo from Fry's here in Houston yesterday.. Installed everything accordingly, and press the power button.. no go.. no post, just the led light and cpu fan was on. Noticed the clicking sound everying 5-10 sec? and nothing. Tried different memory, power supply, etc, nothing works.

I was really pissed with everything not working, so I pulled the motherboard and installed an AMD 3400+ combo from Newegg that was ordered 3 days ago instead.. Same tower, power supply, and memory, it fired right up the first time.

Returned the motherboard and cpu combo this morning, and not even going to exchange it and try until they can figure out whats wrong with it. Saw lots of same ECS motherboard returned by the customer service area. IMO, ECS sucks...

Doh!

Platinum Member
Jan 21, 2000
Originally posted by: apexi350z
Count me in as well. Purchased the motherboard combo from Fry's here in Houston yesterday.. Installed everything accordingly, and press the power button.. no go.. no post, just the led light and cpu fan was on. Noticed the clicking sound everying 5-10 sec? and nothing. Tried different memory, power supply, etc, nothing works.

I was really pissed with everything not working, so I pulled the motherboard and installed an AMD 3400+ combo from Newegg that was ordered 3 days ago instead.. Same tower, power supply, and memory, it fired right up the first time.

Returned the motherboard and cpu combo this morning, and not even going to exchange it and try until they can figure out whats wrong with it. Saw lots of same ECS motherboard returned by the customer service area. IMO, ECS sucks...

ECS didn't do anything wrong. It's Fry's fault for selling a combo w/ incompatibility problem. All Fry's has to do is sell the combo w/ the updated bios or you can do it on your own if you have a spare LGA775 cpu. Or you can buy an older cpu, update the bios and then return the older cpu if you really want to get the E4300 combo badly right now.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: Doh!

Overclock is ber

The integrated video supports widescreen resolutions. You need the right bios from ecs, however.

Any chance you know where I can get the said BIOS? I found one for the P4M800PRO-M2, but not the P4M800PRO-M.

nomadh

Jan 19, 2004
Fry's is infuriating. You know most of us here could set up a station in tech and open up all those returned boards set up a windows install w/ drivers (2000 preferred) boot w/ old pentium flash the bios pop the 4300 chip in to check general functionality and out they go.
6-8 min a unit or better said about 3-4 times faster than handling a return. And now you don't need to discout a pile of opened boards. How often does a company have a chance to give better customer service and save money at the same time?

colossus

Lifer
Dec 2, 2000
Originally posted by: nomadh
Fry's is infuriating. You know most of us here could set up a station in tech and open up all those returned boards set up a windows install w/ drivers (2000 preferred) boot w/ old pentium flash the bios pop the 4300 chip in to check general functionality and out they go.
6-8 min a unit or better said about 3-4 times faster than handling a return. And now you don't need to discout a pile of opened boards. How often does a company have a chance to give better customer service and save money at the same time?

Hehe, exactly on the dot. Frys, however, is not run entirely as a tech store. They handle all kinds of repair nonsense from dishwashers to car CD players. The same guys who answer PC tech calls also take work orders for washing machine repairs. My friends work in the tech department (he's overqualified) and says ½ the people in there are monkeys - the other ½ care but their hands are tied.

Like I said, this deal is not all that hot when you consider the headache involved with buying a combo at Frys (and the possibility of return). Frys should just pull the ad, return the mobos they have left to ECS and have them reflash (at least if they plan to sell them with the E4300). I put my chip in my S3 and will probably keep the ECS board for emergency testing/backup rig.

Funny how all the people who see these posts w/o a local Frys want one so badly. If I had one wish (with regards to tech stores), I wish Newegg to move out of CA so I don't have to pay frickin 8.25% sales tax and the guy in another state on the other side of the country gets the board for the same pre-tax price shipped (I live 5 miles form Newegg). Now that's infuriating :p

regnez

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2006
Does it still count as a hot deal if the mobo is a piece of garbage, horribly bottlenecking the incredible overclocking potential of that cpu?

Spend a little more money on a better mobo, while adding some decent ram, and then you could get $900 processor performance for $170 (or whatever the E4300 costs).

VinceDee

Jan 26, 2007
Originally posted by: regnez
Spend a little more money on a better mobo, while adding some decent ram, and then you could get $900 processor performance for $170 (or whatever the E4300 costs).

I totally understand your point, but my problem is that I'm coming from a AMD FX-53/AGP/DDR setup, so a newer PCI-E/DDR2 motherboard would mean that I also have to upgrade the RAM and the video card. And you know I'm not going to go for the cheap stuff, I'm going to want at least a 8800gts, etc. So suddenly you go from just upgrading the cpu and motherboard for $150 to upgrading the entire core of your system for ~$800. Can't afford that right now, so I'll just start with this mb/cpu (and reuse my nvidia 6800gt agp and ocz ddr), then save up over the next few weeks to upgrade to a better mb/vidcard/ram.

BTW, I followed suit and picked up one of the 925D combos today to do the flash. Anybody successful yet doing it this way?

Vince

Doh!

Platinum Member
Jan 21, 2000
Originally posted by: VinceDee
BTW, I followed suit and picked up one of the 925D combos today to do the flash. Anybody successful yet doing it this way?

Vince

I did it & am now typing this from an E4300 system. Make sure when you go back to return the 925D combo, don't let them take that motherboard away from you. Guard it with your life....

Rio Rebel

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: regnez

I totally understand your point, but my problem is that I'm coming from a AMD FX-53/AGP/DDR setup, so a newer PCI-E/DDR2 motherboard would mean that I also have to upgrade the RAM and the video card. And you know I'm not going to go for the cheap stuff, I'm going to want at least a 8800gts, etc. So suddenly you go from just upgrading the cpu and motherboard for $150 to upgrading the entire core of your system for ~$800. Can't afford that right now, so I'll just start with this mb/cpu (and reuse my nvidia 6800gt agp and ocz ddr), then save up over the next few weeks to upgrade to a better mb/vidcard/ram.

Vince

Good strategy. That's what I did with the 6300 combo. I got a few months of good performance (albeit somewhat unstable) while I waited for the right time to upgrade the memory and video. I just had to lose a 9800 All in Wonder, but in your case you're losing a rather nice video card.

I bought a 7600GT, Gigabyte S3, and 1 gig of Corsair PC6400 for just under $350 (after rebate on the video). I've been running for a few days, and the 6300 is at 2.5 ghz rock solid with not a single tweak or voltage bump, and stock HSF.

I just rediscovered FarCry, and all the new eye candy :)

nomadh

Jan 19, 2004
The ad in san diego also shows a boxed cpu? anyone know if thats accurate? Adding a hsf to the deal would be great

Polar2002

Jun 14, 2002
I went back to Frys in Sunnyvale and they did have a station to check the m/b. The station had 4 ECS m/b's sitting there. They could have just use a floppy drive to flash the bios, but no go. The CSR suggested I buy another combo and flash and return. I did that.

Cowtown

Apr 2, 2001
Fry's is running the ad again today. I sent a note to Frys on Friday telling them the combo was not working. Heck, they're probably selling memory, power supplies and video boards to fix the ones the folks are bringing back in.

I now have the 925 up and running very well but I may go for the exchange after I flash the bios. Do I have to take the MB back in? How long do you have to make the return?

nomadh

Jan 19, 2004
30 days most things but mb /cpu and memory they limit it to 15 days.
If I just bite and get the fifty something $ gigabyte motherboard does anyone know how well it overclocks? I still have agp video and ddr1 memory so I like the p4m800 chipset concept but will there be any performance considering the budget. If I step up to the $70 range what should I expect? Besides having to buy new memory and pcix video :)
There is a sale today on ocz 1gb ddr2 pc6400 800mhz platinum xtcfor $89 after a 15$ rebate. Would this memory help this combo or any p4m800 or do i go straight to the 965 chipset from there? I'm not a gamer mainly need the hp for video conversion sometimes. I do need stability. This will be my pvr unit 24/7 with periodic other duties as a main home pc. Truthfully I just like to hot rod on the cheap.
Thanks all.

apexi350z

Mar 14, 2002
Went back to Frys today here in Houston, saw 23 boxes of the ECS motherboard in return section, in a cart. Funny thing is, they probably don't know why so many returns! and the ad they posted in store still has the combo for sale..

Maybe they learned a lesson this time :)

Oil

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2005
This is a tempting deal because I can still use my trusty old 9800 Pro. :p But there are no Fry's at college where I am and the Fry's I go to are back at home

VinceDee

Jan 26, 2007
I just flashed the board with the 12/14/06 BIOS, switched the CPUs and it fired up, no problems. So I can confirm that it's the BIOS.

On another note, has anyone installed WinXP on this combo with a RAID0 setup? I have two Raptors in RAID0. I downloaded the RAID drivers from the ECS website and copied them to a floppy disk, then tried to F6 install but it's having problems loading the VIAMRAID.SYS file. Any suggestions?

Vince

EDIT: I fixed it. I don't know how, exactly, but I reformatted the floppy and copied the files over again and it worked. (can you believe we're still using floppies to update the BIOS?)

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I just flashed the board with the 12/14/06 BIOS, switched the CPUs and it fired up, no problems. So I can confirm that it's the BIOS.

On another note, has anyone installed WinXP on this combo with a RAID0 setup? I have two Raptors in RAID0. I downloaded the RAID drivers from the ECS website and copied them to a floppy disk, then tried to F6 install but it's having problems loading the VIAMRAID.SYS file. Any suggestions?

Vince

Did you copy the driver files (VIAMRAID.INF, viamraid.cat, viamraid.sys, txtsetup.oem) into the root directory of the floppy?

El Norm

Oct 29, 1999
Anyone having problems overclocking at all on this motherboard? i know it can do 266fsb no problem, but if i set it to 266fsb it does not respond to the changes ( they stick in bios but don't show up in cpuz). Anyone else find this to be a problem?