RUN FOR YOU LIVES !!!!! The trees are pissed.

LeadMagnet

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2003
http://www.ktvu.com/news/2414119/detail.html

SEQUOIA NATIONAL PARK, Calif. -- A 200-foot-tall giant sequoia tree fell along Sequoia National Park's main road, crushing a vehicle into a several-foot high pile of crumpled metal, park officials said Monday.

The tree, believed to be approximately 1,000 years old, fell Sunday at about 5:15 p.m. along the Generals Highway several miles east of the Giant Forest Museum, said park spokeswoman Alexandra Picavet.

No one was injured but the Jeep Grand Cherokee was destroyed, Picavet said.

The vehicle was parked in a turnout alongside the road.

"They had hiked to a waterfall close by. They said they heard this huge crash like a sonic boom and they saw the top of a tree going over," Picavet said. "They didn't put it together until they got back and saw it had fallen on their car."

Picavet said the tree had previous fire damage that contributed to the collapse.

"Only half of the tree was still alive," she said. "These trees do fall. It's not unusual. But it is extremely unusual for one to fall and crush a car."

Picavet said the road was closed for about 15 minutes while park crews and firefighters cleaned gas and oil from the road and cleared tree fragments.

She said park officials will leave the tree where it fell.

The vehicle's owner had driven to California from Florida.

"This vehicle made it all the way from Florida without any problems," Picavet said. "We're all interested to see if the insurance company treats this as an act of God."

In nearby Yosemite National Park, a Jeffrey pine tree that was perched atop Sentinel Dome fell to the ground sometime in the last week, Yosemite National Park officials said Monday.

The tree attracted photographers Carelton Watkins and Ansel Adams in the late 1800s and appears on numerous park postcards.

The tree died during the severe drought of 1976-77. Park officials said storms in the Sierra Nevada in early August may have contributed to the collapse.

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Originally posted by: AEB
if it dies in 1977 why didn't they cut it down. id SUE!

Everyone knows that those trees are "sacred". You can't cut them down or else... they get pissed!

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
It's quite prophetic that it ended its 1,000-year jaunt on this planet by falling on and destroying a SUV. ;)

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Prophetic? Yeah, your right. I think it means we need to make SUVs bigger so they can withstand such accidents. I am glad you brought this up. Thanks!

Jan 12, 2003
Originally posted by: daniel1113
Prophetic? Yeah, your right. I think it means we need to make SUVs bigger so they can withstand such accidents. I am glad you brought this up. Thanks!

Nice :) Don't mind *da Monkey*, someone said he has an SUV (and farm aminal) fetish.

Impulsze

Banned
Aug 15, 2003
Think of the wonders it could do for the economy if by making them bigger they also make them consume more gas. The possibilities are endless!

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: xxxxxJohnGaltxxxxx
Originally posted by: daniel1113

Nice :) Don't mind *da Monkey*, someone said he has an SUV (and farm aminal) fetish.

You didn't see any trees falling on a Toyota Prius, did you? Trees know who the enemy is ;)