Rumsfield plan criticized on the battlefield

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001
Maybe Peter Arnett had a point. This sounds troubling when ex-generals and current military personnel are complaining. Link

Conky

Lifer
May 9, 2001
Typical military generals... they all think they are the true leaders of the country. General like MacArthur set a bad precedent for the modern military.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Crazyfool
Typical military generals... they all think they are the true leaders of the country. General like MacArthur set a bad precedent for the modern military.
I'd rather have Shishenski running this war than Rumsfeld.

justint

Banned
Dec 6, 1999

Defense Secretaries like McNamara and Rumsfeld set a bad example of corporate micro management of the military. MacArthur thought he could set US strategic policy because he was the great general Douglas MacArthur. That is a little different from the current situation where the commanders on the ground are complaining that thier operational needs and doctrine were ignored. Operational versus Strategic and Political. completely different realms.

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
This is awfully hard for the right-wing whackos...I they don't support the troops, they're commie trators. If they don't support everything the Bush admin does, they're hippy liberals. Choices, choices, choices.

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: justint

Defense Secretaries like McNamara and Rumsfeld set a bad example of corporate micro management of the military. MacArthur thought he could set US strategic policy because he was the great general Douglas MacArthur. That is a little different from the current situation where the commanders on the ground are complaining that thier operational needs and doctrine were ignored. Operational versus Strategic and Political. completely different realms.
McNamara was little more than an industrialist turned bureaucrat, IMO. If I'm not mistaken, he was one of the "wiz kids" hired by Ford after WWII.

Actually, when comparing/contrasting both Rumsfeld, and McNamara in retrospect, from an outward perspective, the similarities come across as strikingly eerie. However, this occasion wasn't the first time commanders in the field bitched about the head shed, and certainly won't be the last.

Should we have maneuvered downrange with more armor/mech assets? Based upon my experience, I think so.

308nato

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2002
MILITARY and COMPLAINING are 2 words which belong next to each other in the dictionary. Anyone who has served knows this. It's generally only a problem if it affects the mission.

The media which knows jacksh!t about military operations and is trained to make a conspiracy out of everything makes it look like there is a coup in the offing.

I would be much more disturbed if no one was complaining.

Marshallj

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2003
I think I've got a better definition of someone on the "lunatic fringe"- Anyone who called George Bush "Dubbya" is a little out of touch with reality. In fact, anyone who needs to call somebody by little pet names should check themself, this goes for hard core Dems and Republicans. The hard core republicans who felt the need to call Clinton pet names are no better.

Once you feel the need to use gimmicky words to refer to a person you should realize that you're a little to much into this.

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003
Originally posted by: 308nato
MILITARY and COMPLAINING are 2 words which belong next to each other in the dictionary. Anyone who has served knows this. It's generally only a problem if it affects the mission.

The media which knows jacksh!t about military operations and is trained to make a conspiracy out of everything makes it look like there is a coup in the offing.

I would be much more disturbed if no one was complaining.

The sky is blue.
Water is wet.
Soldiers bitch.

All is right with the world. ;)

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
hahaha! now we're in baghdad! war going badly my arse!

RossGr

Diamond Member
Jan 11, 2000
We may well have just witnessed the greatest military campaign ever. Perhaps there is a reason some of those naysayers are retired, and not active. This plan has been a surprise at every turn, and that is the key to victory. Saddam and his forces have not known what to expect, simply because the war is like nothing they have ever seen.

This could be over with real soon. Absoultly amazing, and anybody who does not realize this simply has no knowledge of military history.