Rumsfeld snubbed, whitehouse in civil war

sMiLeYz

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2003
On Monday, the White House reiterated the line given by Ms. Rice. Mr. McClellan said Mr. Rumsfeld had been ?very involved in this process.? But yesterday Mr. McClellan retracted his remarks, insisting instead that Paul Bremer, the U.S. administrator for the occupying powers in Iraq who reports to Mr. Rumsfeld, had been consulted.
The confusion reflected what commentators have called a ?civil war? within the administration. William Kristol, a neo-conservative ideologue and publisher, wrote in the latest Weekly Standard magazine that the administration had been virtually ?invisible? in making its case for an extra $87 billion in spending on Iraq and Afghanistan.
?One reason for this is that the civil war in the Bush administration has become crippling,? he wrote. ?The CIA is in open revolt against the White House. The State Department and the Defense Department aren?t working together at all.?

So much for uniter not a divider eh, George? Can't even keep the executive branch together, how are we suppose to fight terrorism?

MSNBC

Ldir

Platinum Member
Jul 23, 2003
Good. The cookie crumbles. They cannot do as much damage to the country when they are fighting each other.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: Ldir
Good. The cookie crumbles. They cannot do as much damage to the country when they are fighting each other.

You are joking right? That is one of the most shortsighted comments I have ever heard.

Ldir

Platinum Member
Jul 23, 2003
Originally posted by: tnitsuj

You are joking right? That is one of the most shortsighted comments I have ever heard.
How so?

phillyTIM

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
Exactly!

It just shows how fragile bush's regime is, trying to cover up for another to hold their "story" together.

sMiLeYz

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2003
Originally posted by: phillyTIM
Exactly!

It just shows how fragile bush's regime is, trying to cover up for another to hold their "story" together.

Errr... I mean I don't like this administration as much as the next sane guy, but I think they need to work together to fight terrorism.
Things like this is what caused 9/11 to happen in the first place.

Dec 27, 2001
This is like your kids fighting over who gets to wash the car. I don't think it's evidence that the administration is about to collapse. But, spin it how you like.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor
This is like your kids fighting over who gets to wash the car. I don't think it's evidence that the administration is about to collapse. But, spin it how you like.
Calling it a fight over who washes the car sounds to me like spin.

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Moonbeam

Characterizing it as a "civil war" sounds more like spin to me.

Smileyz: Fair and Balanced.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Moonbeam

Characterizing it as a "civil war" sounds more like spin to me.

Smileyz: Fair and Balanced.

But of course it does. It's the farthest spin from your spin. From where I stand, indifferent, basically, you both look like spin. I'm gonna go with the fact that I don't know and am not in a position to evaluate the limited data I have on this incident. I await further information. Could be good, bad or nothing at all. I don't know.

Dec 27, 2001
As I said, spin it how you like. Your reply, to the original post, about waiting for the collapse before gloating insinuates that you believe this issue is one that could lead to collapse...i.e. a civil war.

For me, I see this for what it is...two entities fighting over who will assume responsibility for the hard work of rebuilding Iraq. That's a good thing as opposed to both sides throwing it in the direction of the other.

GrGr

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2003
But the "spin" in this case came from William Kristol, one of the chief ideologues for the PNAC. It was he who called it a "Civil War".

GrGr

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2003
Originally posted by: GrGr
But the "spin" in this case came from William Kristol, one of the chief ideologues for the PNAC. It was he who called it a "Civil War".

Point?

It was a supporter of the regime that pointed out it's dysfunctionality. Not it's opponents. You claim that it is the opponents who are "spinning" when all they do is confirm Kristol's observation. It is you who are spinning by trying to make the situation look better with comments like "two entities fighting over who will assume responsibility for the hard work of rebuilding Iraq". In fact Rumsfeld is figthing for his political life at the moment. The Bush administration cannot fire him now because that would be to admit that he (and by extention the Bush administration) screwed up. So instead Bush has given the hot potato to Condi to start a new PR campaign to promote a more positive image of the Iraq situation. Bush has already decided that Condi is going to lead the next phase.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
As I said, spin it how you like. Your reply, to the original post, about waiting for the collapse before gloating insinuates that you believe this issue is one that could lead to collapse...i.e. a civil war.

For me, I see this for what it is...two entities fighting over who will assume responsibility for the hard work of rebuilding Iraq. That's a good thing as opposed to both sides throwing it in the direction of the other.
On the contrary, I said I'd wait to gloat in the same sense as I won't hold my breath. This is the most pathetic admin in the history of man but nothing has touched them yet. I see nothing to suggest a change. It's simply pathetic.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Yeah . . . right.

It was a supporter of the regime that pointed out it's dysfunctionality. Not it's opponents. You claim that it is the opponents who are "spinning" when all they do is confirm Kristol's observation. It is you who are spinning by trying to make the situation look better with comments like "two entities fighting over who will assume responsibility for the hard work of rebuilding Iraq". In fact Rumsfeld is figthing for his political life at the moment. The Bush administration cannot fire him now because that would be to admit that he (and by extention the Bush administration) screwed up. So instead Bush has given the hot potato to Condi to start a new PR campaign to promote a more positive image of the Iraq situation. Bush has already decided that Condi is going to lead the next phase.
Strong work . . . young Jedi.

On a brighter note the Coalition/CPA/ISG has announced that over 1,000 schools have been repaired, rebuilt, or constructed since major combat ended in Iraq . . . including the school that was once a base of operations for US troops. (FOXNews and the Iraq Stabilization Group would like to add that Saddam supporters were in the school first.)

Dec 27, 2001

Point?

I never said it's opponents were the ones spinning...just that it was being spun...by who I could care less.

Try a little more literacy and work your way up to smugness. Kthx.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
CNN says Rummy running skeered (paraphrase of course)
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld canceled a news conference Thursday in part to avoid questions about whether the White House recently reduced his role in Iraq's reconstruction, Pentagon and NATO officials said.

Referring to the flap about the memorandum, a NATO official said they were told Rumsfeld canceled the news conference because he didn't want to answer any more questions on the topic.

But Rumsfeld's chief spokesman said the news conference was canceled so he would have time to meet from representatives of several countries at meetings that were not on his original schedule.

"I would say that is the reason" Rumsfeld canceled, Rumsfeld spokesman Larry Di Rita said. [/q ]

Somebody bruisy his ego . . . job taken over by a woman . . . a black woman. What's the world coming to?!

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Well atleast cooler heads are prevailing now(Rice and Powell), its a good thing the Pentagon and Wolfowitz arent running the show(in Iraq) as much anymore.

shurato

Platinum Member
Sep 24, 2000
Rumsfeld is a disgrace and should not represent the United States to the rest of the world...i'm glad to see his arrogant pompous ass put in his place by his own administration no less.