Rumsfeld reportedly told Bush Iraq strategy was failing

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LumbergTech

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2005
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
The decider has to undecide.

it just amazes me to see this man actually admit there is something wrong..even if ultimately means nothing...it just seemed out of his character to ever give in

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Well I certainly hate to defend Rumsfeld, or almost anyone in this administration, but you guys do fail to see one thing. In his position, he's not at liberty to say publically that the strategy is failing. Doing so, whether you believe it or not, gives the enemy an advantage. It's easier to recruit when the enemy admits it is losing. Publically, no one can really say anything too negative.

But certainly, privately, changes should have been made much earlier. Hell, we should never have set foot there.

And to change topic here, these guys, Rumsfeld, Cheney, etc., are NOT fools, they are not the idiots you guys make them out to be. They did and are probably doing exactly what they want. They got 150,000 troops in there first off. And the longer the war, the more it costs, the more money war profiteers gain. The more the merrier for Halliburton.

"Stay the course." ;)

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: bobdelt
Originally posted by: Harvey
Originally posted by: LumbergTech
wow..this sort of blows my mind....it makes him sound almost...sane..
Nah! A sane man would have realized it was bullsh8 from the beginning. :roll:

so all of congress is insane, especially ted kennedy and john kerry-my own 2 sleazy senators...? oh wait, i already knew that.

There is a difference between the person in charge of defending this country and the information they are exposed to compared to what average senators are exposed to.. to equate the 2 is only ignorant.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by: ntdz
Originally posted by: DaveSimmons
so all of congress is insane, especially ted kennedy and john kerry-my own 2 sleazy senators...? oh wait, i already knew that.
They only voted to give Bush the authority to go to war if it was necessary, which of course it was not.

Bush "the decider" made the final decision to start feeding our soldiers into the meat grinder, and made the decision to "stay the course" and keep feeding them in.

And everyone and their dead grandmother knew that we were going to war with Iraq if that authorization was passed. The Democrats knew we were going to go to war with Iraq.

War was going to happen no matter what because Bush and the gang were already moving troops and supplies to the region before even going to Congress or the UN. Kind of hard to tell the president no when he is thumping his chest, passing on crap intel onto the public while painting visions of "nucular" mushrooms over US cities if they didn't get their way. Meanwhile moving troops, supplies, etc... all of which costs millions if not billions of tax dollars to Kuwait. Oh I wont mention the rabid FAUX NEWS boys jumping up and down like crazed apes calling everyone who disagreed with them terrorist sympathizers and changing the name of French fries to "Freedumb Fries".

Just like how on the streets you don't pull out a pistol unless you intend to us it and force a encounter. In the end it's Bush's clusterfuck and it what his decision and buck firmly stops on his desk and his desk alone.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Ok so maybe Bush cherry picked US intelligence... (even though it seemed like to everyone there was substantial evidence, especially kicking out the UN inspectors...), but how he did control the british intelligence?

UN Inspectors did not leave before the war started they were forced out because we started ground and air operations to kick off this screwed up war. Lets get that straight. Bush and company were never going to wait for UN inspectors to finish up their report and do a full and complete job. That would of taken the air out of his sails when they would of reported to the world that there was no real threat from Iraq and that they found no real substantial WMD program as was claimed by this administration.