Rumour Mill AMD 7970 6GB

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
Can't wait for 3GB vs. 6GB VRAM future proofing threads...

By the time games actually need 6GB of VRAM, we'll need a GPU 5-6x more powerful to play them.

This is probably targeting some specific usage such as Photoshop.

shaynoa

Feb 14, 2010
Generally when it is stated that it might be a few days it can mean weeks ,
but after talking to my supplier i was under the impression that the delay was due to re-working the AMD 7970 6gb so it reclaimed the top spot in loo of the NV 685 coming out as well
i am not a fanboy of either however good competion is great for all,
as soon as i find out about these connections i will let you know but it was a different setup to the version's we have seen to date in the way of less connections for monitors
but this is really just hear say nothing concrete yet

shaynoa

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Can't wait for 3GB vs. 6GB VRAM future proofing threads...

By the time games actually need 6GB of VRAM, we'll need a GPU 5-6x more powerful to play them.

This is probably targeting some specific usage such as Photoshop.

Anyone who buys this for a single screen or photoshop is an idiot. As has been stated countless times, this card is for driving 6 screens at once- Jesus christ. The memory requirement to drive 6 screens at once is high - Its not hard, if you use MSI afterburner overlay during a game such as crysis 2 with HD textures and DX11 tessellation on ultra settings, your memory use is around 2.5gb at 5760x1200. Hell, try it yourself, use MSI afterburner overlay and see the memory requirement of ultra crysis 2 with HD textures modded and DX11 turned on with motion blur - try it at 2560 resolution or higher....not a garbage 1080p resolution....the memory requirement is high. On 6 screens that memory requirement doubles.

More screens at once = more VRAM = eyefinity 6. Apparently everyone in this thread thinks is for a single screen :rolleyes: and anyone who purchases it as such is a complete idiot. This card definitely isn't designed for the typical gamer, who should probably instead buy a 670....it is designed for an extreme niche.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Anyone who buys this for a single screen or photoshop is an idiot. As has been stated countless times, this card is for driving 6 screens at once- Jesus christ. The memory requirement to drive 6 screens at once is high - Its not hard, if you use MSI afterburner overlay during a game such as crysis 2 with HD textures and DX11 tessellation on ultra settings, your memory use is around 2.5gb at 5760x1200. Hell, try it yourself, use MSI afterburner overlay and see the memory requirement of ultra crysis 2 with HD textures modded and DX11 turned on with motion blur - try it at 2560 resolution or higher....not a garbage 1080p resolution....the memory requirement is high. On 6 screens that memory requirement doubles.

More screens at once = more VRAM = eyefinity 6. Apparently everyone in this thread thinks is for a single screen :rolleyes: and anyone who purchases it as such is a complete idiot. This card definitely isn't designed for the typical gamer, who should probably instead buy a 670....it is designed for an extreme niche.

The memory requirement doesn't double for 6 vs 3 screens. Most of the graphics card memory is used for textures and storing data for processing. The frame buffer is a very small portion. You can calculate it yourself by multiplying the number of pixels by 24 bits times however many frames are stored in the buffer (triple or double or whatever).

1920*1200*6*24/8/1024/1024 = 39 megabytes per frame

Last edited:

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
Anyone who buys this for a single screen or photoshop is an idiot. As has been stated countless times, this card is for driving 6 screens at once- Jesus christ.

Yes and a single HD7970 runs of out GPU speed in modern games on 3 screens. So you advise getting 3 of these and getting stuck with half-working Tri-Fire 7970s? I don't think many people will want to drop almost $2k on a GPU setup where drivers are not bullet proof.

The memory requirement to drive 6 screens at once is high - Its not hard, if you use MSI afterburner overlay during a game such as crysis 2 with HD textures and DX11 tessellation on ultra settings, your memory use is around 2.5gb at 5760x1200.

VRAM isn't an issue in Crysis 2 when HD7970 can barely break 30 fps at 2560x1600.

crysis2.jpg

Again, your scenario would likely require 3x HD7970s to get 60 FPS in this game at 5760x1200 with all the mods you mentioned.

try it at 2560 resolution or higher....not a garbage 1080p resolution...

I prefer the immersion factor of a large monitor (i.e., 37 inch 1080P is better to me than say a 27 inch 2560x1440 monitor). Resolution/PPI can be "fixed" by sitting farther from the screen. I cannot increase immersion by playing on a small monitor. Objects appear more life-like to me because they are larger on a bigger monitor. I wouldn't call 1080P gaming "garbage" since gaming on a 37-60 inch 1080P LCD/LED/Plasma can be quite enjoyable as well as many gamers enjoy 120Hz 1080P gaming. Millions of gamers prefer large screens over small screens with high resolutions, which is at least part of the reason gaming on a couch in front of a huge screen makes consoles so popular. When there are next generation 4K 37-42 inch screens, I'll for sure upgrade. Right now there are no viable monitors on the PC I can "upgrade" to on a budget. 30 inch 2560x1600 monitor is not an upgrade to me. To each his own.

More screens at once = more VRAM = eyefinity 6. Apparently everyone in this thread thinks is for a single screen :rolleyes: and anyone who purchases it as such is a complete idiot.

The key selling feature of this card has been its rumored 1335mhz guaranteed GPU clocks on air. If true, that's a lot more impressive than 6GB of VRAM since at those clocks it effectively doubles the performance of an HD6970 and beats GTX680 handily. 1335mhz clocks will benefit gaming performance even on a single 1080P monitor, while 6GB of VRAM is wasted. The 6GB of VRAM is more marketing since a gamer would likely need 3 of these cards to provide playability on 6 screens. I suppose for people using 6 monitors and 3 of these cards, it would matter. But then I don't see those users as the type to future proof since they will have upgraded to HD8000/GTX780 in 2013.

Last edited:

shaynoa

Feb 14, 2010
Just got of the phone from supplier again AMD 7970 6GB not yet cleared
he didn't state anything about clock speeds today
customs however it can at anytime
Connections
1 HDMI
1 DVI
3 MINI Display ports
So ETA depends on customs
shaynoa

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
I prefer the immersion factor of a large monitor (i.e., 37 inch 1080P is better to me than say a 27 inch 2560x1440 monitor).

I agree that 1080p isn't a garbage resolution in 2012 (far from it, actually) but I have no clue how you get more immersed in a same size screen, if resolution is lowered?

I have to say this rumored card is totally pointless, at least on a single screen. Can't speak for those multi-monitor setup due to lack of personal experience, but even there I'm skeptical of it's usage. 1.5 GB was barely usable with GTX 580 on 2560x1600 for games.

Professional 3D is a different ball game but isn't that what FirePro/Quadro for?