News [Rumour] Mediatek to integrate Nvidia GPU into their SoCs

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011

MediaTek is expected to integrate an Nvidia GPU into its next-generation flagship mobile processor as early as 2024, according to industry sources.

In addition to co-developing mobile handset platforms to enhance AI and gaming functionalities of MediaTek's application processors, MediaTek and Nvidia will also cooperate in developing WOA (Windows on Arm) platform products for notebook applications, said the sources.
Who's ready for Mediavidia laptops? Reminds me of the old Nforce motherboards...

Tup3x

Dec 31, 2016
I hope this will eventually lead to socketable ARM chips and platform(s) that can support pci-e GPUs. I also wouldn't mind if they would start producing some really beefy SoCs that don't lack GPU power.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
I hope this will eventually lead to socketable ARM chips and platform(s) that can support pci-e GPUs. I also wouldn't mind if they would start producing some really beefy SoCs that don't lack GPU power.
I mean, socketed SoCs with PCIe already exist in ARM servers. Wouldn't take much for Ampere to branch out into desktops, if the market was there.

Geven

May 15, 2023
I'm pretty stoked about this Mediavidia partnership myself. The good ol' Nforce motherboards were a blast, right? It's like a blast from the past but with a futuristic twist. With Nvidia's prowess in GPUs and MediaTek's knack for efficient mobile processors, this could mean huge leaps in mobile gaming and AI functionality. And WOA platform products for notebooks? That's some next-level stuff. I'm seriously excited to see what these two tech giants can achieve together. Bring on 2024! Hope by that time I will have enough money to afford one of these laptops:)

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

KompuKare

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2009

Who's ready for Mediavidia laptops? Reminds me of the old Nforce motherboards...
Well as someone whose nForce motherboard died an inglorious solder-defect (bumbgate) death, I have to say I have no good memories of them. I guess the thing was other chipset makers were even worse at the time!

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Well as someone whose nForce motherboard died an inglorious solder-defect (bumbgate) death, I have to say I have no good memories of them. I guess the thing was other chipset makers were even worse at the time!
The original nForce and nForce2 chipsets were great. nForce3+? Not so much. They had all kinds of weird issues.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Did NVidia decide to give up on ARM? It's hard to see them doing this while still wanting to sell their own SoCs. Even if their core isn't any better than the rest of the pack, the GPU is still better than anything you'd find in other ARM SoCs.

Reactions: Lodix

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Did NVidia decide to give up on ARM? It's hard to see them doing this while still wanting to sell their own SoCs. Even if their core isn't any better than the rest of the pack, the GPU is still better than anything you'd find in other ARM SoCs.

ARM, no. Phones, probally. They don't have a modem.

Dribble

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2005
They tried to buy ARM.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Yeah the ARM thing is dead at this point.

I mean this is cool I guess. The focus will be on Chromebooks, which is an odd market for NV to enter considering Chromebooks are largely considered second rate trash next to a proper windows laptop, and NV generally doesn't like to associate itself with "low rent" markets.

Might be a good play to get in front of students, the old Apple strategy, as Chromebooks are very popular in schools and with NV hardware in there (and an associated NV guided programming course for students) they could get their next generation of customers primed and ready to go.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Nvidia is more interested in automotive (especially self driving cars), and ARM servers. They haven't had a "normal" Tegra chip in a long, long time.