Rumored Intel Pricecuts coming

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Denithor
Originally posted by: Flipped Gazelle
Originally posted by: dangtong
Where is quad core for under $100 for poor pp like me? LOL. Wish CPU price drop would be like the flat screen plasma/lcd price drop. Well, I'll still keep dreaming. :)

Right here.

Ewww... TLB-error-laden low clocked POS.

But it is a quad for <$100. :D

ROFL... Exactly what I thought...

LoneNinja

Jan 5, 2009
Where is quad core for under $100 for poor pp like me? LOL. Wish CPU price drop would be like the flat screen plasma/lcd price drop. Well, I'll still keep dreaming. :)

Right here.

Tigerdirect.com has the 9500 for $99.
Newegg.com has the 9600BE for $104.99 (They've sold it on sale for under $100 before)

If they overclocked decently I'd buy one, but they're horrible overclockers even compared to the B3 stepping Phenoms.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Originally posted by: Zap
Originally posted by: BTRY B 529th FA BN
EDIT: i think we have AMD to thank for these price cuts

Yes, thank you AMD! :wine:

Core 2 Quad LP?

If you haven't noticed . Ever since Intel went tick tock . Intel cuts pricies in Jan every year . Nothing to do with AMD at all .

All here know it was Intel who forced AND down from high pricies with C2D . FACT. Nothing has changed . I can by Nehalem today . Cheaper than X23800 3 years ago .

So at least be honest . Give credit were credit is do.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Nemesis 1
Originally posted by: Zap
Originally posted by: BTRY B 529th FA BN
EDIT: i think we have AMD to thank for these price cuts

Yes, thank you AMD! :wine:

Core 2 Quad LP?

If you haven't noticed . Ever since Intel went tick tock . Intel cuts pricies in Jan every year . Nothing to do with AMD at all .

All here know it was Intel who forced AND down from high pricies with C2D . FACT. Nothing has changed . I can by Nehalem today . Cheaper than X23800 3 years ago .

So at least be honest . Give credit were credit is do.

If Intel is voluntarily reducing prices without consideration for external market forces then that is pretty crappy to an Intel shareholder.

Intel is supposedly operating to maximize shareholder equity. Tic-Tock is not shareholders equity, it is a management plan. If Intel is executing to a management plan at the sacrifice of maximizing shareholder equity then they are in violation of their fiduciary responsibilities.

My suspicion, if Otellini were so inclined to discuss the topic, is that the executive management team is very much pricing product to move in response to dynamic fluid external market considerations, specifically whatever AMD is doing.

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Nemesis 1
If you haven't noticed . Ever since Intel went tick tock. Intel cuts pricies in Jan every year. Nothing to do with AMD at all.

Purely coincidental it's timed to hit like two weeks after PII 940 comes out, priced like Q9400 and nearly matches Q9550 performance? Riiiight...

Originally posted by: judasmachine
I was hoping for some more cuts on the lower end of the dual cores.

E5200 @ $67 isn't cheap enough for you? Geez, what do you want, free?

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
so those "s" quads that produce less heat also have lower performance? because you cant just "reduce heat" it has to come at a proce...

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: Borealis7
so those "s" quads that produce less heat also have lower performance? because you cant just "reduce heat" it has to come at a proce...

It's possible they're the same clock, just voltage binned instead.

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
Originally posted by: SunnyD

Exactly, they just cherry-pick the CPUs that will run stable at lower voltage (and therefore produce less heat during operation) and sell them with a higher margin.

If you buy a "normal" Q9xx0 it might undervolt to the same level but there's no guarantee (just like with overclocking - no guarantee of hitting a certain speed).

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999

Exactly, they just cherry-pick the CPUs that will run stable at lower voltage (and therefore produce less heat during operation) and sell them with a higher margin.

If you buy a "normal" Q9xx0 it might undervolt to the same level but there's no guarantee (just like with overclocking - no guarantee of hitting a certain speed).

In this situation the phrase cherry-picking is probably extended beyond its usual implications in a manner in which it shouldn't.

This is simple binning, the same binning that goes into deciding if a chip will be sold as a Q9400 or a Q9550.

They've just created an additional bin to separate the high(er) VID chips from the low(er) VID chips that are binned for any given clockspeed tier. The consumer level impact of this is that we probably can kiss low(er) VID Q9550's good-bye as they will all be skimmed out of the distribution and labeled Q9550s, etc.

This is not to be confused with an alternative approach to using a new stepping for special low-power penryns which have had speedpaths tweaked (e.g. higher latency L1 or L2, etc) to enable continued IC functionality at lower VID. TMK these "s" parts we are discussing are not special stepping, just additional binning.

Cherry-picking implies the chips are given a higher level of personal (i.e. human) scrutiny post Q9550 binning (for example) and are hand-selected for further bin designation as lower-power chips. Francois's i7 975 for example is a cherry-picked CPU. I doubt these new "s" penryn chips are cherry-picked in any sense of the phrase.

Roy2001

Jun 21, 2001
This will drive AMD?s new quad core CPU price down below $200 level again as Phenom II can only compete with Q8200.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Originally posted by: Idontcare

In this situation the phrase cherry-picking is probably extended beyond its usual implications in a manner in which it shouldn't.

This is simple binning, the same binning that goes into deciding if a chip will be sold as a Q9400 or a Q9550.

They've just created an additional bin to separate the high(er) VID chips from the low(er) VID chips that are binned for any given clockspeed tier. The consumer level impact of this is that we probably can kiss low(er) VID Q9550's good-bye as they will all be skimmed out of the distribution and labeled Q9550s, etc.

This is not to be confused with an alternative approach to using a new stepping for special low-power penryns which have had speedpaths tweaked (e.g. higher latency L1 or L2, etc) to enable continued IC functionality at lower VID. TMK these "s" parts we are discussing are not special stepping, just additional binning.

Cherry-picking implies the chips are given a higher level of personal (i.e. human) scrutiny post Q9550 binning (for example) and are hand-selected for further bin designation as lower-power chips. Francois's i7 975 for example is a cherry-picked CPU. I doubt these new "s" penryn chips are cherry-picked in any sense of the phrase.

This sounds pretty much the same as getting resistors, or the like. You can get a 10% margin resistor, but if the company has any lower margin resistors (say 5%, 2.5%, 1%, etc.) You know off the bat that your resistor will not be within that margin of error. (It will not be within 5% of the labeled value, because all that are were sold in the 5% binned resistors bucket.) The only exception is if there is a higher demand for 10% resistors, and not enough demand for 5% resistors to sell all at the higher margin, some 5% resistors will be relabled as 10% resistors to sell.

I had no reason to post this other than to give an example of another industry that regularly does this sort of thing. It is pretty much standard operating procedure in the electronics industry, so it is no suprise that Intel and AMD do this (AMD used the "e" connotation instead of "s")

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Martimus
This sounds pretty much the same as getting resistors, or the like. You can get a 10% margin resistor, but if the company has any lower margin resistors (say 5%, 2.5%, 1%, etc.) You know off the bat that your resistor will not be within that margin of error. (It will not be within 5% of the labeled value, because all that are were sold in the 5% binned resistors bucket.) The only exception is if there is a higher demand for 10% resistors, and not enough demand for 5% resistors to sell all at the higher margin, some 5% resistors will be relabled as 10% resistors to sell.

I had no reason to post this other than to give an example of another industry that regularly does this sort of thing. It is pretty much standard operating procedure in the electronics industry, so it is no suprise that Intel and AMD do this (AMD used the "e" connotation instead of "s")

Cool, I like examples.

Yeah industry standards for product and sales management like this will be pretty universal because the people (the managers, etc) all come from a similar education system across all the developed nations and schools of thought tend to be recycled across all disciplines.

People are people no matter where you go or where they come from.

geokilla

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2006
Price cuts, just what we need to get AMD file for chapter 11 w/e USA has bankruptcy thingy. Wonder how AMD's gonna respond to this.

Man, CPU prices have went up by like $40 to $50 up here in Canada. Wonder if we can get any decent quad cores for around $140CAD.

judasmachine

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: judasmachine
I was hoping for some more cuts on the lower end of the dual cores.

E5200 @ $67 isn't cheap enough for you? Geez, what do you want, free?

Well I guess middler low end. But if they want they can send all the free CPUs my way. ;)

GEOrifle

Oct 2, 2005

Right here.

You should wait litle more, 3-4 months, with economy like this all prices gona go down by half 1/2. People don't spending $$$ anymore so imagine the future for $15 stuff seling for $300-400 right now. WE ARN'T STUPID ANYMORE.
Don't belive me ? I'll by Q9650 for $100 very soon.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: GEOrifle

Right here.

You should wait litle more, 3-4 months, with economy like this all prices gona go down by half 1/2. People don't spending $$$ anymore so imagine the future for $15 stuff seling for $300-400 right now. WE ARN'T STUPID ANYMORE.

:roll:

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004

But we certainly didn't pay attention in English classes in school either, did we? Or maybe that's just you...

And I'll add Math classes to the list as well. 1/2 * $300-400 = $15

:beer:

GEOrifle

Oct 2, 2005

But we certainly didn't pay attention in English classes in school either, did we? Or maybe that's just you...

I guess you need mathematic classes for beginers.
I was talking about a profit from $15 stuff to $300, X 20 profit from stipids like us.
In CHINA and INDIA and so CPU's cost no more than $10-15.
That's why whole world is calling us STUPID AMERICANS.
Just take a some medicine and relax now.

edplayer

Platinum Member
Sep 13, 2002
I was talking about a profit from $15 stuff to $300, 200% profit from stipids like us.

Both of you can take math classes

You should also sign up for a spelling class

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000

I was talking about a profit from $15 stuff to $300, X 20 profit from stipids like us.

In CHINA and INDIA and so CPU's cost no more than $10-15.
That's why whole world is calling us STUPID AMERICANS.
Just take a some medicine and relax now.

Oh jesus the irony....